Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet to Sunderland

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Fact or speculation?

I guess it's fact if it's from a trustworthy source who would know and wouldn't lie, and it's mere speculation if it's from someone else's source that you don't know.

Everyone makes their own judgement call and some have sources which will provide fact.

No reason to trust someone else's source of course.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Personally, I think Poyet is a very good manager, Sunderland could do a lot worse. If they appoint him, I think he'll keep them up this season and turn them into a good footballing side next. There are very short memories on this board.

Agreed - and trying to compare Gus with Di Canio is chalk and cheese If I was a football chairman, I wouldn't let Di Canio anywhere near anything I had control of. Gus would be a different matter.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't see GP going there at all - doesn't seem to fit. RDM maybe a good shout.

Hands up all those who wanted PDC to come to us - I hope you've changed your minds.

Hands firmly down. His "passion" basically makes him a thug and a bully. No idea of man management at all.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Eighteen months ago Poyet would have been my dream appointment. After the way his tenure with you came to an end I've no respect for the man.
I'm just stunned and angry that Paolo's been treated so shamefully. I thought he was an exciting, fresh choice but the pampered, petted players have been allowed to triumph; Short mustn't have seen The Damned United.
Right now I feel it's fifty years a Rokerite and out for me. I was more enthused about the future with Paolo than I'd been since the 1970's, but now after just TWELVE matches Short has pulled the plug. I don't want to give anymore of my money to SAFC.
PDC will be a great manager somewhere, it could have been at The SOL.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course but as an outsider looking in, he was making your club look like a joke. He can't expect respect from his employers, when he shows his players so little.

I don't think he'll do anything bigger than this in football management unless he eats a bit of humble pie and amends his attitude. You don't wash your dirty linen in public repeatedly.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
While Poyet is an obvious favourite candidate I do wonder if the Sunderland board will feel its time to revert to a more traditional manager with Prem experience like Pulis to tighten things up and get them survival?

Poyet isn't in Di Canio's league in terms of wackiness but still has plenty of baggage that might just scare off some prospective employers.

But would Sunderland have the sort of budget that Poyet expects - and how high is their 'ceiling'...............?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I imagine Sunderland will look for an experienced, "boring" manager, at least for the time being, to get the side back on a stable footing. Appointing Gus wouldn't appear to be a great move for either him or Sunderland - as we all said, Gus was a manager learning his trade when he was with us and personally I don't think he's reached the point where he could save a club like Sunderland from relegation. Maybe one day, but I doubt at the moment. He's be better off waiting for the Fulham job or similar, where the problems are smaller, expectations lower, and he can really stamp his authority.

Hang on. Why do I care?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Why would they swap out one complete nutter for another only slightly more stable character. And I might add I really don't care about what Gus is doing. And I note its all gone a bit quiet on Poyet taking legal action.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Eighteen months ago Poyet would have been my dream appointment. After the way his tenure with you came to an end I've no respect for the man.
I'm just stunned and angry that Paolo's been treated so shamefully. I thought he was an exciting, fresh choice but the pampered, petted players have been allowed to triumph; Short mustn't have seen The Damned United.
Right now I feel it's fifty years a Rokerite and out for me. I was more enthused about the future with Paolo than I'd been since the 1970's, but now after just TWELVE matches Short has pulled the plug. I don't want to give anymore of my money to SAFC.
PDC will be a great manager somewhere, it could have been at The SOL.

My Sunderland supporting mate would agree with every word of that. Sadly the lazy players appear to have done for Paolo.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I imagine Sunderland will look for an experienced, "boring" manager, at least for the time being, to get the side back on a stable footing. Appointing Gus wouldn't appear to be a great move for either him or Sunderland - as we all said, Gus was a manager learning his trade when he was with us and personally I don't think he's reached the point where he could save a club like Sunderland from relegation. Maybe one day, but I doubt at the moment. He's be better off waiting for the Fulham job or similar, where the problems are smaller, expectations lower, and he can really stamp his authority.

Hang on. Why do I care?

Quite. I read these threads with interest, then think: Why do I care - and does Poyet really care about us, when he so easily put his personal agenda ahead of the Clubs at such a critical point in last season? I suppose I will watch his career with interest but never quite with the same enthusiasm.

No doubt Poyet will eventually pick up another managerial job - and maybe Fulham would be a good fit for him.

But could be a bit awkward for him if he elects to continue with his case against The Albion with Fulham having been mentioned around the time his head was turned last season?

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Poyet Out of Sunderland Job after viewing Stadium of Light Changing Rooms

low-ceiling.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Gus is sitting tight waiting for the right opportunity then I can't see too many bigger jobs becoming available than this one.

He needs to get back into football, he covets the Prem but there's no telling when the plum jobs like Newcastle and Fulham will become available.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
If Gus is sitting tight waiting for the right opportunity then I can't see too many bigger jobs becoming available than this one.

He needs to get back into football, he covets the Prem but there's no telling when the plum jobs like Newcastle and Fulham will become available.

But there will be 2 or 3 more before Xmas and apart from RDM and Pulis there won't be much competition around. I suspect he'll wait ... it really would be hugely ironic, if he showed up at Smellhurst and I wouldn't rule that out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here