Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A lack of ambition & using the FFP as an excuse.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
We watched the transfer window come and go with no real movement but thankfully of course we didn't lose anyone, we tightened the ship for a season of consolidation, but is that enough? Tony Bloom when asked during the fans forum was quoted as saying that top 6 is a realistic and achievable target, not if we don't back the manager in the window it isn't Tony.

We get 26k plus through the door, came so close last season and within 90 mins of Wembley and for me are just missing those special two players now, that attacking midfielder/winger who can unlock defences and also that elusive striker which we most desperately need due to CMS not being back to his best until new year & a decidedly average Ashley Barnes. It's gutted to see that Garcia feels the team is good enough in the striking department, one injury to the big man and we are literally screwed, that doesn't equal that were in a good enough position striking wise and also puts too much pressure on Ulloa.

Our promotion rivals are bringing in players, spending money and attempting to get out of this division, we're sitting still, bedding in and consolidating and after last season its disappointing to say the least. Yes we have a new manager, yes it's a tough league but at least go for it, at least show some form of intent to get out of this division.

Are we that poor we cant stretch the budget for 3 months in the loan window and therefore have to bring in a striker called Obika who has never scored a decent amount of goals? It's like employing someone at a company who you know isn't that good at the job he's supposed to do, you wouldn't do it!

This FFP is all well timed as well as for me they know that the sanctions for breaking the FFP rules are not going to be bad, which is why a lot of championship clubs are breaking them. A small fine is not going to scare teams, if they had threatened non-promotion then it would be taken seriously.

Oh so you know EVERYTHING about FFP and our finances?

Do go on about his we were financially capable of bringing in Bridge and a top striker to match Ulloa!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
simple, we have an absolutely ridiculous amount of staff half of whom
I'm sure we could do without.

I have been thinking that for some time
I could slash and burn as well as most and would be happy with 25% of some of the wages paid

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
now this is a genuine question
the Albion have one of if not the highest crowd attendance and fan base in the championship and is one of if not the most expensive to watch.
where does all the money go????

About 70% on staff wages (mainly players) for a start.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

you are saying to me that 70% of monies taken on matchdays goes on wages

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
you are saying to me that 70% of monies taken on matchdays goes on wages

Yes, based on the 11/12 accounts that is the approximate figure. And that's on overall income - sponsorship, TV etc. - not just matchday income. Much as we love them, our players don't turn out for free.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes, based on the 11/12 accounts that is the approximate figure. And that's on overall income - sponsorship, TV etc. - not just matchday income. Much as we love them, our players don't turn out for free.

And the number of matchday staff has gone up from not many to rather a lot and we have many more permanent staff at the Amex than we did pre-Amex (although some have been made redundant this year)

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
We watched the transfer window come and go with no real movement but thankfully of course we didn't lose anyone, we tightened the ship for a season of consolidation, but is that enough? Tony Bloom when asked during the fans forum was quoted as saying that top 6 is a realistic and achievable target, not if we don't back the manager in the window it isn't Tony.

We get 26k plus through the door, came so close last season and within 90 mins of Wembley and for me are just missing those special two players now, that attacking midfielder/winger who can unlock defences and also that elusive striker which we most desperately need due to CMS not being back to his best until new year & a decidedly average Ashley Barnes. It's gutted to see that Garcia feels the team is good enough in the striking department, one injury to the big man and we are literally screwed, that doesn't equal that were in a good enough position striking wise and also puts too much pressure on Ulloa.

Our promotion rivals are bringing in players, spending money and attempting to get out of this division, we're sitting still, bedding in and consolidating and after last season its disappointing to say the least. Yes we have a new manager, yes it's a tough league but at least go for it, at least show some form of intent to get out of this division.

Are we that poor we cant stretch the budget for 3 months in the loan window and therefore have to bring in a striker called Obika who has never scored a decent amount of goals? It's like employing someone at a company who you know isn't that good at the job he's supposed to do, you wouldn't do it!

This FFP is all well timed as well as for me they know that the sanctions for breaking the FFP rules are not going to be bad, which is why a lot of championship clubs are breaking them. A small fine is not going to scare teams, if they had threatened non-promotion then it would be taken seriously.

ANY top striker coming in knows they will be playing second fiddle to Ulloa and rightly so he is the best centre forward in the championship end of. This said IF they are any good they will be playing week in week out at their current clubs (unless there are very unusual circumstances surrounding the player) so the buy in for any player wanting to drop down to the championship will be game time which we cannot assure UNLESS god forbid Leo was to get an injury then you will see a very different shortlist of players being approached by the club (This contingency will be in place)

This is the truth re recruitment of loanees. Take it or leave it & whilst you do that get a grip and try and enjoy the football you plum.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
And the number of matchday staff has gone up from not many to rather a lot and we have many more permanent staff at the Amex than we did pre-Amex (although some have been made redundant this year)

I don't think that 24-25 days pay to a few hundred match day staff makes a massive difference in the overall scheme of things; it's the Championshio wages that make up the overwhelming majority of our wage bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I don't get it.

The Albion at The Amex is providing increased employment in the Brighton and Hove district, so you lot want to SACK them?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The unfortunate truth is the money in top flight football is in TV revenues, not bums on seats.

In terms of the Championship teams with parachute payments are at a massive advantage and the rest will need to play by the rules or attempt to bend them.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The unfortunate truth is the money in top flight football is in TV revenues, not bums on seats.

In terms of the Championship teams with parachute payments are at a massive advantage and the rest will need to play by the rules or attempt to bend them.

Can't be that much of an advantage given the recent success of relegated teams. Going down with a team full of players on 2-3 years of Premier League contracts seems to be more of a disadvantage.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Can't be that much of an advantage given the recent success of relegated teams. Going down with a team full of players on 2-3 years of Premier League contracts seems to be more of a disadvantage.

Well yes. It is a constant surprise to me that more clubs in the lower half of the Premier League don't have more players on variable contracts or season long deals.

Blackburn are a master-class in financial mismanagement and Palace signing players then not putting them in their 25 man squad is just staggering.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well yes. It is a constant surprise to me that more clubs in the lower half of the Premier League don't have more players on variable contracts or season long deals.

Blackburn are a master-class in financial mismanagement and Palace signing players then not putting them in their 25 man squad is just staggering.

In the current day, I can't see many players signing a contract with a lower table team with a relegation clause in it.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013

Seems to be this bizarre assumption the likes of Upson, PIG, Ulloa, Orlandi, Bridders, CMS all play for a pittance while Bloom and Barber fleece the supporters. Am I mad in believing we ACTUALLY have the core of a very decent side? Surely no coincidence we had hefty bids in for Ulloa, Barnes, Lua Lua and Bridcutt. Strangely, those evil, cash-swindling merchants Bloom and Barber turned them down....

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Only a handful of years ago we were at Withdean barely out of League 2, McGhee as manager. Dick Knight as Chairman, on a day to day existence, losing money hand over fist. That follows a 20 year rollercoaster when we nearly sank into the abyss.

Since then:

Tony Bloom takes over

Initial build of The Amex stadium = £110m

Phase 2: Filling in the corners etc = £15m

Training Complex = £12m

CMS = £2.5m
Buckley = £1m
Hoskins = £0.5m
Ulloa = £2m
plus Hoskins, Harley, Noone etc

Upson, Kuszchak, plus Vicente and Bridge = how many international caps between them? Who would have thought we could attract such players 5 years ago?

Talk of £2m bids for other players and a similar transfer budget for this season.

It's strange that punters overlook the rapid rate of our rise from mediocrity and the mega financial outlay that Tony Bloom has created. He has delivered on all promises while trying to create a sustainable future for the Club.

Just the cost of assembling and marinating a competitive squad in the Championship is huge, let alone bringing in a managerial/coaching team who are good enough to get them to play consistently well.

The costs of running a club with the infrastructure needed at The Amex is light years beyond what we could afford at Withdean.

Average crowds increased by 20k in the same period - that is mind boggling in itself. Yes that has generated huge gross income but doesn't mean it leaves us with enough disposable net income to spray money around on extravagant transfers. Worse still we incurred £8m p.a. operating losses, no business can operate like that and survive.

The rate of our rise is so stellar that a) it is easy to forget where we have come from, b) finishing a clear 4th last season and coming within an ace of the play off final has inevitably raised everyone's expectations, c) The Poyet fiasco then derailed our momentum and we are still recovering d) yet still for some it isn't enough and they want us to spend money we don't have. Yes we all want more success - but IMHO only what we can or should afford.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have been thinking that for some time
I could slash and burn as well as most and would be happy with 25% of some of the wages paid

I think you will find they have done that already!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here