Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion Roar

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Again, splendid show. Big Al's microphone was a little low last week. It has happened before on other Reverb shows. Maybe just a quick check at the start.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

hertsseagull

hertsseagull
May 15, 2011
I'm a huge fan of the Roar. As an Albion ST holder in exile (Herts) I look forward to the weekly podcast and usually listen to it whilst out for a run. Anyway, I digress...

I couldn't but help think as I listened to the PB interview, that if someone who knew nothing about football listened to it, that they'd think the Albion was a failing club. I know that Ady and Al are huge, long-standing, committed fans of BHAFC and there was also a journalistic right or duty to ask PB the difficult questions, but nevertheless it did feel like 90 minutes of asking Paul "why doesn't this work properly, why doesn't that work properly?". Fair enough, ask the tough questions (the influence of Sky being a great example, as was the probing around safe standing) but if I was PB, I might just have left thinking that it would have been nice to hear a little bit more of a positive vibe from Ady/Al about the (almost entirely positive) direction the Board have taken the club in over the last 5 years or so.

As I say, podcasts, fanzines, journalists etc. are rightly there to hold power to account and we as Albion fans know more than most about that...but is the fact (for example) that some concourse vending areas sometimes run out of pies really all that important?

I hope the Roar lads won't take this the wrong way as they do a fantastic job and I very much look forward to catching up on the Roar each week whilst out for my weekend run. Keep it up please gents.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Paging [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

3c4e339abe539687f8e82f7f72cd9565.png

That had me scratching my head too a bit.

£4.5m (FL/central distributions) as a proportion of £23.6m is just under 20%.

It could be argued that sponsors are willing to pay more because of TV exposure, and therefore Sky indirectly contributes to that revenue stream. If all the sponsorship money was added to the previous figure it takes the total to £10m, lob in media and we are at £10.4m which is 44%.

The distribution from the PL is set to rise this year due to the new TV deal, I think it will be in the region of £6.5-7m.

Sky certainly is a major contributor in the Championship, but for some small clubs in the PL (picks small club at random) such as Crystal Palace it was 82% (£74m) of their £90m total income in 2014 for example and could be £110-120m this season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
PB fails to realise that if it weren't for Sky's TV money, we would have lower player wages and transfer fees and in turn lower ticket prices. But yes if they suddenly stopped the money today, then ticket prices would not have time to rise as clubs would go bust too. Sky have too much power in the game but we can't turn the clocks back, I fail to see why PB makes statements like that.

As much as I'm anti Murdoch (no Sky, Times, Sun or Talksport in my house) PB would be foolish to bite the hand that feeds the Albion.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

(Deletes El Pres' words. Poor silenced El Pres)

It is quite something that fall in income courtesy of Hyypia's intervention. Be interested to see just how much of a turnaround there has been under Hughton when the results are announced (presumably in a month or two). I suspect, given the hike in season-ticket sales for this season and no doubt more TV money, that the following year's figures will continue the upward trajectory.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
(Deletes El Pres' words. Poor silenced El Pres)

It is quite something that fall in income courtesy of Hyypia's intervention. Be interested to see just how much of a turnaround there has been under Hughton when the results are announced (presumably in a month or two). I suspect, given the hike in season-ticket sales for this season and no doubt more TV money, that the following year's figures will continue the upward trajectory.
It was the price the club had to pay for trying to 'do the Championship on the cheap'.

Garcia's playing budget was £23m
Hyypia's playing budget was £26m.

In a rising market that's pretty much a deficit.
Let alone a team that didn't adequately replace it's mainstay centre back, centre midfield, centre forward and winger even though it cleared nearly £15m in the process.

Sami was on a hiding to nothing, probably why he was appointed as no smart manager would have taken on the poisoned challis.

The smart man is the one that comes in next, when extra money suddenly appears and those deemed responsible for the 'failure' have been put to the sword.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It was the price the club had to pay for trying to 'do the Championship on the cheap'.

Let alone a team that didn't adequately replace it's mainstay centre back, centre midfield, centre forward and winger even though it cleared nearly £15m in the process.

Sami was on a hiding to nothing, probably why he was appointed as no smart manager would have taken on the poisoned challis.

The smart man is the one that comes in next, when extra money suddenly appears and those deemed responsible for the 'failure' have been put to the sword.

All true, although there needs to be a shift in emphasis. Hyypia's tactics, inflexibility, inexperience and naivety all contributed to a substantial plummet down the table. He also (seemingly irreversibly) contributed to turning JFC and Ince from up-and-coming players to has-beens.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All true, although there needs to be a shift in emphasis. Hyypia's tactics, inflexibility, inexperience and naivety all contributed to a substantial plummet down the table. He also (seemingly irreversibly) contributed to turning JFC and Ince from up-and-coming players to has-beens.
Now my turn to say all true.
But Sami's strike force in his first game of the season was O'Grady and Fenelon.

This has already turned into a chicken or egg debate :lol:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

According to the accounts and quoted by Swiss Ramble's rather good post below, the football budget for 14/15 was £23m, and £20m for 13/14 under Garcia.
Also unless you have different accounts that you're quoting above, then i'm struggling for evidence that Hyypia had a "cheap" budget and other managers (Gus, Garcia, Hughton) have not. (relatively).
Can you explain your working here ?
Perhaps he just wasn't a very effective manager, didn't make decent signings and couldn't make a fist of it. But you seem determined to argue that he was deliberately , for some reason, hamstrung by Bloom who decided that spending should dry up in July 2014 and suddenly became available again in Jan 2015.
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/brighton-and-hove-albion-welcome-to.html

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
According to the accounts and quoted by Swiss Ramble's rather good post below, the football budget for 14/15 was £23m, and £20m for 13/14 under Garcia.
Also unless you have different accounts that you're quoting above, then i'm struggling for evidence that Hyypia had a "cheap" budget and other managers (Gus, Garcia, Hughton) have not. (relatively).
Can you explain your working here ?
Perhaps he just wasn't a very effective manager, didn't make decent signings and couldn't make a fist of it. But you seem determined to argue that he was deliberately , for some reason, hamstrung by Bloom who decided that spending should dry up in July 2014 and suddenly became available again in Jan 2015.
http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/brighton-and-hove-albion-welcome-to.html

Are you saying that he's swallowed Gus' 'ceiling' (quite a prospect to behold)?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I think your analysis is flawed though. The Albion's budget was competitive, which is why we've made the playoffs for three years out of four. Clubs such as Burnley, Palace, Blackpool have been promoted on smaller budgets than ours. To say we are doing it 'on the cheap' is inconsistent with the investment made by TB, who has lent/invested eight digit sums in the club in both 2014 and 2015.

4f231845515eb8a9d24b909defe100b3.png
9346b70a2f50209304585e04737c7fb4.png

In 2014 two clubs, Leicester and QPR, rode a coach and horses through the FFP rules to assist their promotion to the PL. The Albion, correctly IMO, complied with the rules. Other clubs have tried to bend the rules in 2015 too.

Sent from your mum using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think your analysis is flawed though. The Albion's budget was competitive, which is why we've made the playoffs for three years out of four. Clubs such as Burnley, Palace, Blackpool have been promoted on smaller budgets than ours. To say we are doing it 'on the cheap' is inconsistent with the investment made by TB, who has lent/invested eight digit sums in the club in both 2014 and 2015.

In 2014 two clubs, Leicester and QPR, rode a coach and horses through the FFP rules to assist their promotion to the PL. The Albion, correctly IMO, complied with the rules. Other clubs have tried to bend the rules in 2015 too.
Of course, I was being somewhat glib and incredibly unfair on Mr Bloom.

Naturally your points on the club finances are considerably more valid than the ramblings of a potless fat bloke.
But I notice you don't address the 'minor' increase in playing budget v the previous squad being ripped apart.

I'd be amazed if the next statement doesn't show an extra investment from Mr Bloom, far in excess of 'only' £3m.
As the squad eventually replaced the likes Upson, Bridcutt, Buckley & Ulloa, not to mention the excellent loanee Ward.

Even the most myopic would have to admit that's a hell of a team removed which wasn't replaced in a like for like fashion., until now.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Where are they now?

Ulloa has not played this season, Bridcutt bounced around on loan for 18 months and now at Leeds, Buckley is warming the bench at the massive, the £6 million received for that pair was great value for us., Upson has retired and Ward was never our player to begin with. Ashley Barnes left the club too, but according to many here he was rubbish.

Money was spent poorly, there's little argument with that, but people forget that during the period Dale Stephens and David Stockdale joined the club and have done well.

Lots of clubs sign clunkers

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Where are they now?

Ulloa has not played this season, Bridcutt bounced around on loan for 18 months and now at Leeds, Buckley is warming the bench at the massive, the £6 million received for that pair was great value for us., Upson has retired and Ward was never our player to begin with. Ashley Barnes left the club too, but according to many here he was rubbish.

Money was spent poorly, there's little argument with that, but people forget that during the period Dale Stephens and David Stockdale joined the club and have done well.

Lots of clubs sign clunkers

As usual I'm not making my point very well.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember Garcia inherited Poyet's side, plus an increase in budget, and ran with it.
(Or let Upson run with it!)
Hyypia inherited a side missing key players, from back to front, and a negligible increase in budget.

CH got a side in disarray, that had been poorly managed, and I suspect a huge chunk of money, above the already huge chunk of money..
Begging the question 'why wasn't the extra money made available when it was needed'.

Nobody is complaining about the fantastic business done.
Once again the club was brilliant.
I can't help thinking we're edging towards another period of 'jeeeez I'm gutted x has gone, but there's no way that amount of cash can be turned down'. (but that's for another thread)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember Garcia inherited Poyet's side, plus an increase in budget, and ran with it.
(Or let Upson run with it!)
Hyypia inherited a side missing key players, from back to front, and a negligible increase in budget.

CH got a side in disarray, that had been poorly managed, and I suspect a huge chunk of money, above the already huge chunk of money..
Begging the question 'why wasn't the extra money made available when it was needed'.

Nobody is complaining about the fantastic business done.
Once again the club was brilliant.
I can't help thinking we're edging towards another period of 'jeeeez I'm gutted x has gone, but there's no way that amount of cash can be turned down'. (but that's for another thread)

If you look at the football budget in the first four years at the Amex it was

2011/12 £13.1m JEC as manager: finished 10th
2012/13 £19.9m (49% increase) JEC (ceiling comments) finished 4th
2013/14 £20.7m (4% increase) Oscar finished 6th
2014/15 £23.7m (14.5% increase) Hyppia/Jones/Hughton finished 20th

Your comments that we are trying to do it on the cheap don't stack up. We were rubbish under Sammi but that was a combination of poor signings, injuries and a manager who wasn't great. Ulloa wanted to go, Bridcutt had left under Oscar (and was effectively replaced by Stephens), Buckley also had his turned by JEC and sufffered the same fate.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I'm very wrong and the playing budget doesn't suddenly spike, over the next 2 accounts, I will be instant and sincere with my apology.
But I will also make it my life's mission to have Chris Hughton's babies. :lolol: :sick:

I think it's impossible to have any more respect for the man, but if he's put this team together on a slightly improved Sammi budget, he'll just about the greatest man alive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That doesn't explain why Sami managed to take the FC Zurich side that finished 3rd in the Swiss top league the season before he joined in to 10th and bottom. He also won the Swiss Cup to be fair, but all that meant for their fans was that they now spend their weekends in a league that's about equivalent in standard to the Ryman Premier and their Thursdays playing the might of Europe (2nd tier), since the cup came with a Europa League place.

Terrible coach, very naive tactically and a poor motivator. Undoubtedly hired as someone who would quietly accept all around him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

It was. Sami had a 14% increase in playing budget compared to Oscar, went out and spent a fair few quid on Stockdale, Holla, Baldock, no different to the fees Hughton paid for Hemed, Knockeart, and Kayal.
He also chose to go with 3 expensive Premier League loans (of which only 1 really worked out), several other poor signings (Colunga, McCourt,) and suffered from key injuries to Stephens, March & Crofts and Dunk was in the wilderness.
But sadly he turned out to be a poor manager full stop. His career subsequently as @guinessboy illustrates backs that up.

Yet you're still insisting it was all because he had to do things "on the cheap" ?
Don't Hughton or Oscar get any credit for perhaps being good managers working with competitive budgets lower than the top teams in the league - or is the success of teams all down to the size of their budget. Is that really your point ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here