Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The UK economy: well on the road to recovery?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I'd like to see a little bit of wage inflation for once. There was a show on 5Live the other day and a rather crass northern woman who ran an employment agency was bemoaning British people for not wanting to work. She said she had loads of vacancy's for Cleaners, Drivers, Kitchen Porters and Care Home workers and that us Brits didn't even bother to apply.

Under a little questioning she did reveal that they were all poor contracts ie, short term/temporary and all on minimum wage of £6.31 an hour, it had never entered her head to actually offer 30p an hour more in order to gain a little interest. I would have asked if she would do her own job on the minimum wage.

People like that are just full of themselves and the greediest members of society.

The sort who would rather see the return in Victorian workhouses, than pay a little more tax.

Scum.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Consumer confidence and spending up, house prices rising. Sounds familiar.

That's a recovery built on sand.

It's twenty years ago since I studied economics, but one thing I do remember is that when you live in a country who's economy's health is based on something other than it's ability to make stuff and sell it elsewhere you live in an economy that is permanently in a fragile position.

If you remove London from the overall GDP contribution to the UK (or England) we would be one of largest manufacturing countries in the world in terms of product value.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here