Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Changes to University car parking protocols?

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Obviously the new firm of stewards were left to work things out for themselves, rather than be trained (sound familiar - kiosk staff?)

I suffered from this new "logic" at Derby game too.

Not allowed in car park 5 to used the AITC funded disabled bus for my dad re lack of a blue badge. Despite fact that these AITC funded buses have never been "blue badge only". And we used the service last season

we were told by a very authoritative and well spoken attendant near CP3 that CP5 was for the most disabled people, CP4 (1st one up the hill) was for slightly disabled, CP3 (up hill, turn right, 1st left) isn't being used this season, so we should use CP1 Being difficult we parked in CP2.
I'm sorry, but ... the whole concept of "most disabled", "less disabled", "slightly disabled" people is immensely OFFENSIVE and inappropriate.

Congratulations, timbha, on merely slotting yourself into the "difficult" category. I think someone might find that there can be a few more "difficult" people around.

Obviously the new firm of stewards were left to work things out for themselves, rather than be trained (sound familiar - kiosk staff?)

Not allowed in car park 5 to used the AITC funded disabled bus for my dad re lack of a blue badge. Despite fact that these AITC funded buses have never been "blue badge only". And we used the service last season
It's also rather frustrating to be running the minibuses from a car park that the users aren't allowed into. As I said above, though, I've taken this issue up with the Club.

You don't need to be a blue badge holder to use CP5 but you do need to be disabled (cf The Equality Act) and have either a BHA disabled CP pass or an individual permit issued by the club to go with a regular CP pass. I have the latter because during my regular chemotherapy treatments I struggle with the walk from CP1/2/3 and even if parked in CP5 I have to use the mini-bus service on some occasions.

You don't need to be a blue badge holder to use CP5 but you do need to be disabled (cf The Equality Act) and have either a BHA disabled CP pass or an individual permit issued by the club to go with a regular CP pass. I have the latter because during my regular chemotherapy treatments I struggle with the walk from CP1/2/3 and even if parked in CP5 I have to use the mini-bus service on some occasions.
However ... recent reports are that the stewards ARE refusing entry to Car Park 5 to vehicles which are not displaying Blue Badges.

However ... recent reports are that the stewards ARE refusing entry to Car Park 5 to vehicles which are not displaying Blue Badges.

Hmmm.......... I wasn't there on Saturday but was initially denied access to CP5 at the Derby game as I don't have one of the club's disabled CP passes (they have a pink over-sticker). I asked to see the supervisor, he double-checked my signed permit and it was all sorted. I did take this up with the club the following week and was assured that the new firm managing the CPs is now fully briefed and I won't have a problem in future. We'll see eh?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

Breach of the Equality Act 2010 then...

EQUALITY ACT 2010
142 Unenforceable terms
(1) A term of a contract is unenforceable against a person in so far as it constitutes, promotes or provides for treatment of that or another person that is of a description prohibited by this Act.

144(1) A term of a contract is unenforceable by a person in whose favour it would operate in so far as it purports to exclude or limit a provision of or made under this Act.

29 Provision of services
(1) A person (a “service-provider”) concerned with the provision of a service to the public or a section of the public (for payment or not) must not discriminate against a person requiring the service by not providing the person with the service.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So 'able-bodied looking' fans can't possibly be disabled as that's the right of the elderly, is it?!

The deciding factor i was told by the club is the blue badge. A blue badge is allocated to people who cannot walk a certain distance, since the government changed the rules, the distance is considerably less than that of car park 4 to The Amex. So actually your point does not apply.

However, the less-able argument, is precisely where I'm coming from, given my parents are 75 years plus, there should not be an expectation of for them to walk up and down the numerous steps from car park 1.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Sorry not what I've been told.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The minibus shuttle service between Sussex University and the stadium runs from Car Park 5 (opposite the Gardner Centre and next to the Sports Hall). It seems odd if Car Park 4 has been designated for disabled supporters. I've raised the matter with the Club and will report back.

Thanks Lord B, but I raised it post Derby and have a convoluted email chain with the new Customer Services Manager ?Jenny and Marcus from 1901, which states that you must have a blue badge.....

The minibus service isn't specifically being provided for disabled people. It's for anyone who wishes to use it, because they have a mobility difficulty that inhibits an easy walk to the stadium. It runs from Car Park 5, so easy access to CP5 is obviously needed.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Thanks Lord B - as you say no blue badge requirement - it was never an issue re gaining access to CP5 last season - but new stewards and no apparent training / briefing by club have unfortunately ensured it has become one so far this season

I've just received a message from the Club.

The stewards have been briefed to be more flexible. Access to Car Park 5 (for the minibus shuttle service to the stadium) will NOT be limited to Blue Badge holders only.

Good news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here