Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local angling/fishermen

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Ladies and gentlemen, I am off seeing fishing tomorrow and just wanted some ideas of where is the best place to go fishing in brighton? As I have not been for years. Of the marina arm or off the beach?? Any ideas please would be great.
Thank you

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ladies and gentlemen, I am off seeing fishing tomorrow and just wanted some ideas of where is the best place to go fishing in brighton? As I have not been for years. Of the marina arm or off the beach?? Any ideas please would be great.
Thank you

The marina has some restrictions at the mo due to the recent bad weather. All that is open is the East Arm bays 1 - 30. Up to Bay 10 its too snaggy. So you won't have much room. I would try anywhere from the beach by the beach volleyball place to Fat Boys place by the lagoon. If you go after dark it will be a Whiting bonanza. Use frozen squid as it's not cost effective buying lug.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Thank you very much. Sorry to sound stupid but, whiting bonanza??

Where is best to get bait?
I haven't been for ages so was just trying to get some help/ideas.

:)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thank you very much. Sorry to sound stupid but, whiting bonanza??

Where is best to get bait?
I haven't been for ages so was just trying to get some help/ideas.

Whiting Bonanza = a Whiting every chuck ! You can get 1lb boxes of frozen Squid from the tackle shops locally but they ramp up the price a bit. I get mine from Monteum on the main coast road near B&Q in Shoreham for about £2.00 a box. Fresh Black Lug will cost you about £2.50 a score but tbh Mackerel strip and Squid will get you more bangs per buck. If you fish in the day it's worth trying fresh Blacks as there may be some dabs, Plaice and Flounder but after dark you will just be feeding Whiting and a score of Lug won't last long !

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Whiting Bonanza = a Whiting every chuck ! You can get 1lb boxes of frozen Squid from the tackle shops locally but they ramp up the price a bit. I get mine from Monteum on the main coast road near B&Q in Shoreham for about £2.00 a box. Fresh Black Lug will cost you about £2.50 a score but tbh Mackerel strip and Squid will get you more bangs per buck. If you fish in the day it's worth trying fresh Blacks as there may be some dabs, Plaice and Flounder but after dark you will just be feeding Whiting and a score of Lug won't last long !

well said... what rig you use for whiting? I like a 2 hook flapper but am interested to see what thers use due to my minimal success at this time of year :lolol:

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
After going fishing last weekend at the marina and not catching anything, I was so Disappointed plus the morning didn't start of so good as I went to the hove lagoon bait and tackle shop and the gentleman working was rather miserable , side note.

Does anyone recommend a better place to go fishing other than the marina?
I'm desperate to go fishing again.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
well said... what rig you use for whiting? I like a 2 hook flapper but am interested to see what thers use due to my minimal success at this time of year :lolol:

Sorry, missed this post til it got bounced, I use a one up one down flapper/paternoster. Usually use Lug/Squid for bait or mackerel strip but when its total Whiting its best to go straight Squid or mackerel as Lug just doesn't last.

Zukey, you could try the West Arm Shoreham, its a bit easier fishing than the Marina as there are virtually no snags and you don't have so far to walk. If you have Facebook look up West Breakwater Fishing

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Vegster, sorry to sound stupid but would the west arm be the side where shoreham fort is??
Thank you for your help, just checked out that facebook page and looks rather good. Parking must be good round there to as its free. I'm guessing its free to fish unlike the marina.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Vegster, sorry to sound stupid but would the west arm be the side where shoreham fort is??
Thank you for your help, just checked out that facebook page and looks rather good. Parking must be good round there to as its free. I'm guessing its free to fish unlike the marina.

Yes, thats the one. There is a car park which you have to pay for until 5 or 6pm I think and I'm afraid you do have to pay to fish there. If you can cast a reasonable distance (60 yards+) you should try from the beach anywhere from Brighton West Pier all the way along to Shoreham Beach as that will be free !

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Yes, thats the one. There is a car park which you have to pay for until 5 or 6pm I think and I'm afraid you do have to pay to fish there. If you can cast a reasonable distance (60 yards+) you should try from the beach anywhere from Brighton West Pier all the way along to Shoreham Beach as that will be free !

Thanks for the tips. You know what the prices are at shoreham? Marina is reasonable but just want something a bit different to be honest. I never went on the east arm at the marina as it is so far to walk. I would need to learn how to cast that far. I'm a bit of a amateur.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thanks for the tips. You know what the prices are at shoreham? Marina is reasonable but just want something a bit different to be honest. I never went on the east arm at the marina as it is so far to walk. I would need to learn how to cast that far. I'm a bit of a amateur.

I think it is £3.50 for one rod but £5 for two and that is a 12 hour ticket. You can order bait from the little tackle hut at the West Arm. They should give you plenty of advice and tips if you are a newbie, the telephone no. is on the FB page.

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
I don't think there is a charge at the Fort car park this time of the year, the charges are seasonal as far as I can remember, the last couple of trips I've had I was able to park on the gravel and avoid going in there anyway, both times I fished through the low tide and had Whiting, Smoothound, Dab's and Flounder at night.
There is a charge for fishing, but if its a weekday and the weather isn't great you may get away with it

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
i am going to be doing some night fishing hopefully soon. If any body has a bivvy they use, where did you get it from? or do you just use a tent
for lake/coarse fishing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here