Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling to the Amex.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thats my walking route. 2 hours, door to Dicks. I'm kicking around the idea of copping off early today and doing it. Don't think any rain is forcast is it, and we nearly always win when I walk.

Just be careful on any traffic lighted crossings - us cyclists don't stop for those!* :wink:

*I am actually a good boy in the regard. :thumbsup:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Thats my walking route. 2 hours, door to Dicks. I'm kicking around the idea of copping off early today and doing it. Don't think any rain is forcast is it, and we nearly always win when I walk.

Wow. If I drive I usually Park and Walk from the Mithras Park and Ride and think that is a fair old hike - even listening to a podcast (Frank Skinner mostly fwiw).

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've cycled from Preston Park via Preston Circus and up the Lewes Road and done it in 25 mins at a leisurely pace. It's dead easy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There are bike racks under the footbridge so you don't have to carry your bike over the bridge. I've gone straight down the A27 once but it's a bit hairy, particularly at night. What's easier is to cycle along the pavement by the uni (it's shared use) and then go on the road by Stanmer Park and go back on pavement at start of Coldean woods - should beat the bulk of the pedestrians that way

I have seen those racks but I am unsure about locking my bike up there. I usually use the racks right at the top of the car park as I cycle from Lewes. I would like to use the racks opposite the club shop but the issue is that footbridge after the match. If I knew my bike was going to be safe underneath that footbridge I would definately use it. I could certainly get back to Lewes a lot quicker as I don't have that walk to the top car park at the end.

Interesting options as that path to Moulscomb is a pain after the game. Are there any racks on the University side somewhere rather than the footbridge?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have seen those racks but I am unsure about locking my bike up there. I usually use the racks right at the top of the car park as I cycle from Lewes. I would like to use the racks opposite the club shop but the issue is that footbridge after the match. If I knew my bike was going to be safe underneath that footbridge I would definately use it. I could certainly get back to Lewes a lot quicker as I don't have that walk to the top car park at the end.

I've been parking my bike on those racks pretty much every game since going to the Amex - it doesn't seem unsafe to me. There are cycle racks in the uni - by the cash machine and the shops but they strike me as more unsafe than the station ones (my wife had her bike nicked from there a few years ago)

That side of the road is pretty quick back - for evening games, I'm generally home in Coldean by 10.00 and I wait to clap the team off

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wow. If I drive I usually Park and Walk from the Mithras Park and Ride and think that is a fair old hike - even listening to a podcast (Frank Skinner mostly fwiw).

The journey is actually pretty evenly divided up.

Portslade to the pier = 60 minutes
Pier up Lewes Road to Mithras = 30 minutes
Mithras to Amex = 30 minutes

Frank Skinner is my favourite podcast, and my usual choice for this walk. I've got a few stored up now, being as we so rarely play at home.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The journey is actually pretty evenly divided up.

Portslade to the pier = 60 minutes
Pier up Lewes Road to Mithras = 30 minutes
Mithras to Amex = 30 minutes

Frank Skinner is my favourite podcast, and my usual choice for this walk. I've got a few stored up now, being as we so rarely play at home.

As a new listener I am on the new Frank Skinner back catalogue - up to April 2012. It is a joy.

D

Deleted member 22389

I've been parking my bike on those racks pretty much every game since going to the Amex - it doesn't seem unsafe to me. There are cycle racks in the uni - by the cash machine and the shops but they strike me as more unsafe than the station ones (my wife had her bike nicked from there a few years ago)

That side of the road is pretty quick back - for evening games, I'm generally home in Coldean by 10.00 and I wait to clap the team off

I'm always looking at quicker ways to get away and yes I still have time to clap the team off too. I like the Bike, not relying on transport to get me away, just my legs.

theboybilly

I thought I'd bump this thread to see how folk are getting on with their Amex cycling commutes. Any issues with getting away with the crowds? Cycle parking? It's time I started looking at doing this from Shoreham. I reckon I could comfortably do it in just over an hour using the seafront to the pier (40 minutes) and then up via the level and Lewes Road (20-25 minutes anybody?) What's the best way from the stadium to say, the Coldean Lane traffic lights? After that I'm pretty much sorted.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
I'm only an occasional visitor to the Amex but am going for Ipswich tonight and am just mulling over whether to cycle from Hangleton. Thanks for all the replies in this thread which are really helpful. I'm 90% def going to cycle having read this. Just hope I can find the bike racks and get through the crowds afterwards with my bike. I'll update this thread if I get any useful insights after the experience.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm only an occasional visitor to the Amex but am going for Ipswich tonight and am just mulling over whether to cycle from Hangleton. Thanks for all the replies in this thread which are really helpful. I'm 90% def going to cycle having read this. Just hope I can find the bike racks and get through the crowds afterwards with my bike. I'll update this thread if I get any useful insights after the experience.

2 posts since 2005? And you can still remember your login details? And a username of nigeyb? Is that dogsxxt I can smell, or is it horsesxxt, or maybe just BS, or alternatively, can I smell Palace?

If my accusation is mistaken I wholeheartedly apologise and take back any inferences made. Just seems a bit odd..........

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I usually cycle. It's so easy, so much easier than any other option.

That walkway to the Bridge car park takes less than ten minutes to walk - so that's what I do. Then it's off and away.

Oh, and definitely use the racks at the ground. Much safer, much more closely looked after.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
2 posts since 2005? And you can still remember your login details? And a username of nigeyb? Is that dogsxxt I can smell, or is it horsesxxt, or maybe just BS, or alternatively, can I smell Palace?

If my accusation is mistaken I wholeheartedly apologise and take back any inferences made. Just seems a bit odd..........

Totally mistaken you cheeky monkey wellquickwood. I mainly follow Arsenal but having lived in B&H since the early 80s and - after many a visit to the Goldstone and a bit to the Withdean - I also take an interest in the Albion (and Whitehawk). Just don't get the Amex very much is all being a family man in my mid 50s. Still, seeing as it's the season of goodwill to all humanity, I accept your wholehearted apology. Here's to three points tonight.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
I usually cycle. It's so easy, so much easier than any other option.

That walkway to the Bridge car park takes less than ten minutes to walk - so that's what I do. Then it's off and away.

Oh, and definitely use the racks at the ground. Much safer, much more closely looked after.
Thanks Pogue Mahone (class name) - that's what I'm going to do

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Yep, by far and away the easiest journey I've ever had to and from the Amex. Quite a strong headwind on the way back but still only 30-35 mins door to door. Met a cyclist on the way there, just near to wear I live, with a high viz "I cycled to the Amex" waistcoat - he does it every home game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do hope you weren't either the nimrod with no lights wearing dark clothing that I nearly took out at the Bridge, or,
the nimrodette who seemed to force her way past a fella pushing a wheelchair up to the stadium.

#ashamedtobeacyclist.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here