Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1901 Club food

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Do you actually understand business and profit / loss ?

The revenue is vital to the club but they are seriously getting it very wrong.

Yes.

Worked for a big four for five years and am a fully qualified accountant.

Do you understand business? The club have no control on the pricing.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
What the ****!?

Right, I know it's unrealistic to compare and all that but...

Got taken to the posh seats at Old Trafford by a client for the United v Chelsea FA Cup game last season, first time I'd ever done the whole lounge thing.

Arrived two hours early, free glass of red on arrival, roast pork buffet which was top restaurant quality whilst watching the other FA Cup match that was on that day, can't remember what it was. They even give you this posh Man United bag with a programme and a little glass lasered memento thing with the date of the fixture and the opponent on it. It's pretty tacky, but it's a lot more unique than a ****ing season review.

Then ordered beers for half-time, went to the seats (there's even baskets of sweets as you go to your seat, munched on Drumsticks throughout the whole game), watched first-half, go back down to lounge and beers are there ready on the table. Down pints, watch first-half highlights and back out. You can then order drinks for full-time but I almost found myself disliking United less so decided not to. Staff were mainly local Mancs which was nice, considering I was in a room full of cockneys.

I know that's definitely a lot more expensive and established, but if we provided something like that, people WOULD pay for it.

Was there any football or is it just a food and drink jolly?

Joking aside thats about a million times better and I bet it cost around the same

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
its going to be interesting on saturday in the 1901, cant wait to read people's views

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can we give new caterers a bit of a break? Let them maybe have a few games before we write them off totally? Is that only far?

That's undoubtedly the correct approach in a number of circumstances.

However, in 1901 it sounds like it's not just a matter of the new caterers getting up to speed, but the whole product concept they are attempting to deliver is so wide of the mark, it doesn't matter how well they deliver it. And, already, it seems customer confidence in the product is so low that very few people will commit money to pay for it. It's a vicious circle.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Given the VIP meal as a taster this evening. Sorry but food no better than last year, in some ways worse, bottle of wine (don't drink), DVD of last seasons Leicester game (don't want). Absolutely laughable service, I mean really bad.

I can't believe they can't come up with something, anything, that will work for people. They make it very difficult for people to suggest something workable as they won't tell you how things are costed.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That's undoubtedly the correct approach in a number of circumstances.

However, in 1901 it sounds like it's not just a matter of the new caterers getting up to speed, but the whole product concept they are attempting to deliver is so wide of the mark, it doesn't matter how well they deliver it. And, already, it seems customer confidence in the product is so low that very few people will commit money to pay for it. It's a vicious circle.

This is spot on. Right from the outset of selling 1901 they ****ed it up big time.

Basically 80% of the seats were taken by long standing genuine football fans. Jo were used to chips, burger and a few beers but were happy to pay a bit more for the best seats, and for some a parking space. They were not getting it to be corporate, they just wanted premier season tickets. Most people I speak to want good quality football food. Much of what you get in the other stands.

Instead they try to sell a jumped up pile of shit at a rip off price. It's a joke.

And they keep consulting changes at short notice presumably so they get the same old cronies to tell them what they want to hear.

It's ridiculous.

Personally I never joined for the food and don't give a shit, but it is a joke.

And as for the dress code, that is still a joke. The guy at the door tonight supposedly checking was a total mess, if he had stopped anyone entering they would be within their rights to say look in the mirror.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Given the VIP meal as a taster this evening. Sorry but food no better than last year, in some ways worse, bottle of wine (don't drink), DVD of last seasons Leicester game (don't want). Absolutely laughable service, I mean really bad.

I can't believe they can't come up with something, anything, that will work for people. They make it very difficult for people to suggest something workable as they won't tell you how things are costed.

I'm not in the 1901 Club so can't comment on the ongoing horror stories, but I would have thought by now that the club realise that the 1901 Club isn't a corporate environment - it's a bunch of fans who fancied treating themselves to watching football in slightly more salubrious surroundings for a few extra quid. In short, it's a FANS' environment.

Similarly, there aren't many big companies associated with the club that would simply shrug off a £19 buffet or a £90 meal to expenses on the simple premise that we are not a big company club. We're not in the Premier League; we're not playing Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc week in, week out, and that this corporate stuff is - for the time being - irrelevant.

Meanwhile the core support is voting with its feet. It sounds like the people in the concourses are arguably getting the better deal.

Any comments, or am I way off the mark?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This is spot on. Right from the outset of selling 1901 they ****ed it up big time.

Basically 80% of the seats were taken by long standing genuine football fans. Jo were used to chips, burger and a few beers but were happy to pay a bit more for the best seats, and for some a parking space. They were not getting it to be corporate, they just wanted premier season tickets. Most people I speak to want good quality football food. Much of what you get in the other stands.

Instead they try to sell a jumped up pile of shit at a rip off price. It's a joke.

And they keep consulting changes at short notice presumably so they get the same old cronies to tell them what they want to hear.

It's ridiculous.

Personally I never joined for the food and don't give a shit, but it is a joke.

And as for the dress code, that is still a joke. The guy at the door tonight supposedly checking was a total mess, if he had stopped anyone entering they would be within their rights to say look in the mirror.

Great post and couldn't agree more. I am not inclined to purchase the food, when frankly it is appalling. I know someone with a box tonight who has refused to have any more food until its resolved.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm not in the 1901 Club so can't comment on the ongoing horror stories, but I would have thought by now that the club realise that the 1901 Club isn't a corporate environment - it's a bunch of fans who fancied treating themselves to watching football in slightly more salubrious surroundings for a few extra quid. In short, it's a FANS' environment.

Similarly, there aren't many big companies associated with the club that would simply shrug off a £19 buffet or a £90 meal to expenses on the simple premise that we are not a big company club. We're not in the Premier League; we're not playing Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea etc week in, week out, and that this corporate stuff is - for the time being - irrelevant.

Meanwhile the core support is voting with its feet. It sounds like the people in the concourses are arguably getting the better deal.

See my post above, I have heard many people trying to get to the concourse at half time to get some proper food!!!!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
As long as it's the corporate's they are trying (although apparently failing) to fleece.
Trouble is it's not just the corporate members that are getting those prices...a lot of 1901 members are fans who have been attending the club matches for years...chicken and chips...£14.50....can buy 4 chickens for that...Guinness £4.20...and it's only a can.You can price out your customers by overpricing...

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Talking to various people in 1901 last night, it seems to me that there is demand for a three tier meal range - at the right price.

A buffet, a two/three course sit down and a full on corporate experience. The club just need to get the pricing right and the lounges would be full. Should be in the region of £10, £35 and £75 respectively.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes.

Worked for a big four for five years and am a fully qualified accountant.

Do you understand business? The club have no control on the pricing.

What? Do you believe that? The club have 100% final say on prices.

And they keep consulting changes at short notice presumably so they get the same old cronies to tell them what they want to hear..

I made a formal suggestion to the club regarding a 1901 committee with members having an input into the club, etc, and was told that it was totally unworkable to have a committee in 1901 and that it would not be considered.

See my post above, I have heard many people trying to get to the concourse at half time to get some proper food!!!!

I've heard this is actually going on, i need to find a way through from the Overline lounge.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I was going to ask if anyone had experienced the new VIP deal. And to think this is twice the price of last season's sit-down experience. A DVD of last season's Leicester game's an odd touch. It gives the impression they're off-loading unwanted/unsold club stock as corporate gifts. I wonder if the Falmer For All book will make an appearance shortly.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

Entirely fair.

One of the things that gets me is why they think that "corporate" entertaining should involve bad attempts at "fine dining". If you want to give your clients "fine dining" you would take them to a restaurant and get it (at less than £90).

It's a football match, give them good wholesome grub. Fish and chips, steak and kidney pie etc. then at least you should be able to do it well. I've been corporately entertained on many occasions and I know what I'd prefer.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I was going to ask if anyone had experienced the new VIP deal. And to think this is twice the price of last season's sit-down experience. A DVD of last season's Leicester game's an odd touch. It gives the impression they're off-loading unwanted/unsold club stock as corporate gifts. I wonder if the Falmer For All book will make an appearance shortly.

That's exactly what it felt like. The waitress later came round trying to give us more as apparently " no one wants them and they'll only go to waste."

After they've stopped giving free meals away I can't believe anyone will be doing the VIP meal. Apart from anything else you'll have 400 people staring at you thinking you're a muppet who is being mugged off. And they'll be right.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing

You are right in every respect - I have bolded that sentence there as that's exactly me and my Dad. All we want is a packet of crisps every now and again - or a chip! We thought 1901 would be a treat (don't get me wrong - we love our seats) and with the old man's health not what it was we thought: "why not". The options we have is a pie from behind the bar; the £19 one plate option; or the £90 meal. We aren't corporate rich boys - I'm a one man band. Last season we did have confectionery snacks (and other food options such as pork baguettes) to buy but these have gone. There's a lot of kids in the 1901 with their parents who obviously did like a sweet or a packet of crisps last season who don't have that option now. To echo someone else's view in our lounge last night - it was actually quite depressing in there. The staff didn't help. The lad who kept getting absolutely EVERYTHING wrong behind the bar became something of a comical hero really, obviously for all the wrong reasons. Poor lad didn't speak a word of English either.

Someone else mentioned the scruffy chap at the door - I wonder if you're in the same lounge as me? Greeted by the lad with the stupid blonde mohawk?

Knock Kneed Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
Agree with most of the comments. We have got 3 seats in the South West 1901 and the view is great - we are just normal fans and thought it would be good to treat ourselves. Seats are great, view is excellent but the service is painful. Just getting a couple of beers at the bar is a major event - once you do get served, communicating with some of the bar staff is a real challenge. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with it being the first few games, but I really do fear it could be chaos at the Derby game. Then we take our seats for the game and I am giving a running commentary to the 70 year old father in law who is convinced the players don't have numbers on their shirts !! That is crossing another thread I know but my point is - we pay a premium for 1901 seats and I am on the verge of having to take a carry out to enable us to get a drink and then some of our group can't make out who is who.

The club really do need to take a step back and consider the fans comments.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have long since thought the 1901 is more fans than corporate, we nearly paid up but thought better of it and thankfully picked the WSU.

To be giving away a load of unwanted DVDs is a total insult in my view.

If I was in the 1901 I think I would bring my own food to every game just to prove a point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here