Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion chairman reveals Poyet told him in March he wanted to leave [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Breaking news Albion chairman reveals Poyet told him in March he wanted to leave[/h]8:14pm Thursday 1st August 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
1881822.jpg
Albion chairman Tony Bloom has revealed Gus Poyet told him in March he wanted to leave
* Sacked Albion manager Gus Poyet told chairman Tony Bloom in March that he wanted to quit the club.

* Poyet made his intentions clear in the build-up to Albion's Championship clash against arch-rivals Crystal Palace at The Amex.

* Bloom, speaking at a fans' forum at The Amex tonight, revealed: "I had a great relationship with Gus for over three years, so it was just very disappointing the way things finished.

* "It got triggered by a phone call that he made to me four days before the first League game against Crystal Palace at home in March, when he phoned me up and made it clear to me he wanted to leave at the end of the season and he didn't want to discuss it at all and he said that if he could leave the next day that would be fine.

* "This was hugely shocking to me and it was something I had to manage betwen then and the end of the season, because obviously the key was the players and the team and our promotion push and I didn't want anything to get in the way of that.

* "And then lots of things happened between then and the end of the season, which I don't want to discuss."

* Poyet was suspended and later sacked by the club for gross misconduct after Palace beat Albion in the play-offs.

* Bloom added: "I just want to look forward now. We've got Oscar (head coach Oscar Garcia) here, we've got a great coaching team with Nathan (Jones, assistant head coach) and others and I'm looking forward to the season ahead."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I really take my hat off to Tony Bloom even though we've all been busting for news we should respect his decision to say little and only then at the right time. He sat on all that poo from Gus and never even when the tv and League Managers hierarchy were slagging the club off did he blub. Proud of him, and as a BHA supporter since the fifties when my uncle Fred bought me pop from the hut on the hill I'm truly grateful we've got him. A thousand times more important to me than some South American with an enormously inflated ego. Sorry but I can't even wish him well, what goes around comes around Mr Poyet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here