Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Chuter

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Saw this on Attila's FB page earlier and was too shocked to make more than a token response. This is really sad news for the whole Albion community - Roy fought the good fight from the earliest days and was, as others have pointed out, one of the stalwarts of the anti-Archer campaign.

I didn't know him as well as many on here but I've stood/sat near him at away games and drunk with him in the Evening Star. A big man in every sense, he'll be much missed

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
This thread really reminds me of why I fell in love with the Albion in the mid 90s. Very good people pulling together during tough times. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I do hope that the club mark's Roy's death in a gentle and appropriate way. I'm sure they will. The suggestion of a minute's applause has been raised but this may not be what a rather private person, not known to most people in the crowd, would have wanted.

What do others think?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
This thread really reminds me of why I fell in love with the Albion in the mid 90s. Very good people pulling together during tough times. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

This - my sympathy and thoughts are with his family and friends.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Perhaps an organised minute's applause isn't the thing, but I'm sure if someone were to pen a suitably succinct tribute, it would be read out by the club before the Newport (or Derby) game, and attract the spontaneous, widespread and deserved applause that Roy quite evidently merits.

Particularly as he was known by people so involved in the campaign, as well as folks on here and current employees of the Albion.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Perhaps an organised minute's applause isn't the thing, but I'm sure if someone were to pen a suitably succinct tribute, it would be read out by the club before the Newport (or Derby) game, and attract the spontaneous, widespread and deserved applause that Roy quite evidently merits.

Particularly as he was known by people so involved in the campaign, as well as folks on here and current employees of the Albion.

Hopefully a certain poet may put pen to paper in tribute ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I do hope that the club mark's Roy's death in a gentle and appropriate way. I'm sure they will. The suggestion of a minute's applause has been raised but this may not be what a rather private person, not known to most people in the crowd, would have wanted.

What do others think?

Perhaps those who knew him best will give the club a steer? Thumbs up from me, but I didn't know the bloke. I just read him :)

It would be a shame to not have us show our respects and thanks. At least he had the pleasure of seeing us where we are now.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
This is relly sad news - RIP Roy.

I got to know Roy when working with him as part of the team with Attila and Alex that organised the first few Glastonwick festivals when we started it in Southwick in the mid 1990s. He was a gentle and kind man but one of the most driven and principled people I have met when engaged with a cause - whether helping save the Albion or helping establish a quality event.

Such a sad loss and I'd certainly support any move to make sure he is remembered at the Albion.

BlueWhite

Dec 28, 2003
Very sad to hear of Roy's passing. One of the 'few' whose campaigning has resulted in the club being where it is. I knew Roy over the years and as Steve North has said he was invaluable when we were writing Build A Bonfire. A fiercely independent and compassionate man, and very funny. A unique Albion fan who will be greatly missed.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Absolutely devastating news.
I first met Roy during the 'troubles'. We were both involved with BAB.
A more passionate Albion fan you couldn't meet.
A kind gentle man
I was having a beer with Roy after Saturdays game. We were 'discussing' Mr Barber. We concurred.
As someone has mentioned, a very private man. If only we'd had some idea of his torment
Goodbye my friend. I'm going to miss our chats.
We have lost a true Albion fan.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Very sad news. Didn't know him but certainly knew of him. Thoughts with his friends and family.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Never met the man but as one of the first to take a stand in the clubs darkest hour, every fan owes him a debt of gratitude.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
It's been a difficult summer at the club, but all of it pales into insignificance at this news. Those of us at the club who knew Roy were shocked and saddened by the news, and today was a very sombre day at the Amex... For those who were not lucky enough to meet or know Roy, he was an Albion fan for all of his 50 years, and his family were and still are longtime shareholders in the club. I first came across Roy, reading his USM column in Gulls Eye in the 1990s. He was also behind the fanzine Pretty in Pink - named after our pink away shirt of that era! I really got to know him during what he used to always call the Gory Years - and I remember him being interviewed in Mellor when we marched on Archer's house. His iconic letter to Eversheds, mentioned elsewhere on this thread, still makes me smile - even as I write this with the heaviest of hearts. He wrote for Scars & Stripes and later edited the club programme. His Albion knowledge was up there with the best of them, and he taught me an enormous amount about writing and journalism (he was a first-class english grad from Manchester Uni). I was lucky enough to share a flat with Roy for a year, and at the same time we both worked on the Albion programme. Great days, and as someone who didn't live through the late 1970 and first division days, Roy brought these to life over many a late night beer, sometimes in the company of Dick Knight, if we were "working" on programme business. Tales of coach trips to Newcastle, the FA Cup run, he was able to bring to life those halcyon days in the club's history. Roy also shared some brilliant stories, once telling me his mum and dad were going to call him Paul, until someone pointed out he would have been known as Mr P Chuter (peashooter)! He left the programme to run the Duke of Wellington, fulfilling another ambition of being a publican. As Albion fans we have many reasons to be grateful to Roy, but people may not know he was a major campaigner for the memorial garden. The reason being that his sister Karen sadly collapsed and died before the stadium was built. And it was Roy (along with Attila) who also helped convince the club that real ale could work at the Amex. We will be paying tribute to a fine Albion fan in the Derby programme, and I hope many will raise a glass in honour of Roy ahead of the match. RIP Roy, you will be sadly missed.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Those of us who were privileged to know Roy even a little have lost a lot in his passing. One of the heroes of the struggle.

Every time I watch an old episode of The Sopranos I'll remember him. Music was one of his passions as well as football and a long time before the first series aired he told me to listen to a band called the Alabama 3 (one of whose songs is used as the theme tune). 'They're not from Alabama, and there's more than three of them,' he told me with a delighted smile. What a guy.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Tragic news. Anyone who knows the history of the Club through those difficult times will know the name Roy Chuter. His memory will live on through those who recognise his contribution to his Club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here