Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Chuter

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I heard this news an hour ago. Devastating beyond belief. I first met Roy during the troubles of the 90's. he was Albion through and through and always great company and source of wisdom and wit.

I am struggling with this news. I hadn't seen him for a long time and went into the Evening Star a couple of Fridays ago in the off chance he might be there.

His dedication to the Albion cause during the Archer/Bellotti years cannot be underestimated. For his actions at Bridgend Station, after Bellotti was hounded off a train returning from Swansea, he deserves Sainthood. Normally, I would class what Roy done as a disgusting act. As it was Bellotti, I deemed it quite acceptable!

RIP Roy. You will be sadly missed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
one can only echo what has been said before...his relatives can take some small crumbs of comfort that he was so well thought of

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
I'd known Roy for over 35 years since he was a young supporter at Southwick FC. I last saw him in the Evening Star a few weeks ago - the first time since his fiftieth birthday do at the Welly- and he seemed o.k. although he was sad about the passing of another Southwick stalwart Melvin Hocking at Fishersgate station. I know he had a tough few years with the passing of his mum and i think his sister and he had some problems with his eyesight but he seemed like his old self in the last couple of years. A friendly intelligent and thoroughly nice person who will be missed by many.
Two old pals gone in a short space of time, RIP the pair of you.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I'd known Roy for over 35 years since he was a young supporter at Southwick FC. I last saw him in the Evening Star a few weeks ago - the first time since his fiftieth birthday do at the Welly- and he seemed o.k. although he was sad about the passing of another Southwick stalwart Melvin Hocking at Fishersgate station. I know he had a tough few years with the passing of his mum and i think his sister and he had some problems with his eyesight but he seemed like his old self in the last couple of years. A friendly intelligent and thoroughly nice person who will be missed by many.
Two old pals gone in a short space of time, RIP the pair of you.

You have just answered my question from above. Roy and Melvin were both in my class at Manor Hall Junior school. I was also at Kings Manor with them both.

My one lasting memory of Roy at school was that he loved to write, while most of the class had done a three page essay, Roy's essay would be fifteen pages long.

Very sad news. RIP mate.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
I was in the garage the other day, sorting stuff out, as you do. I came across a collection of poems called Goldstone Ghosts by Attila. The page of the book fell open at this one. I hope Attila doesn't mid if I reproduce it here.

An Empty Seat

I hear the news at half past two.
I try and find some words for you.
Through saddened eyes we watch them play.
There'll be an empty seat today.

Perspective blasts that Shankly quote
So often cited, learned by rote.
At thirty-two. What can we say?

Death is so final it's surreal.
An empty seat is hard and real.
A lifelong fan has gone away:

So little your mates can do:
Remember her and think of you
On this most poignant Saturday.
There'll be an Empty seat today

Attila wrote this for Roy in memory of his sister Karen, who died in the spring of 2001.

I was standing near Roy at Plymouth when we got promoted on 14th April 2001. At the final whistle Roy was in tears and looked to the sky. I just had to give him a big hug.

RIP Roy, reunited with your beloved Karen.

Mar 2, 2009
What terrible, terrible news, I first met Roy on the Albions pre season tour in Holland back in the late 70's. What beer fuelled larks we had...
He was a true Albion stalwart that to me was part of the 'furniture' of following the Albion through thin and thinner across the length and breadth of England and Wales.
At least he got to see us back in Brighton and at a fitting venue.
Rest in peace Roy

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I was in the garage the other day, sorting stuff out, as you do. I came across a collection of poems called Goldstone Ghosts by Attila. The page of the book fell open at this one. I hope Attila doesn't mid if I reproduce it here.

An Empty Seat

I hear the news at half past two.
I try and find some words for you.
Through saddened eyes we watch them play.

Perspective blasts that Shankly quote
So often cited, learned by rote.
At thirty-two. What can we say?

Death is so final it's surreal.
An empty seat is hard and real.
A lifelong fan has gone away:

So little your mates can do:
Remember her and think of you
On this most poignant Saturday.
There'll be an Empty seat today

Attila wrote this for Roy in memory of his sister Karen, who died in the spring of 2001.

I was standing near Roy at Plymouth when we got promoted on 14th April 2001. At the final whistle Roy was in tears and looked to the sky. I just had to give him a big hug.

RIP Roy, reunited with your beloved Karen.

Wonderful poem.....absolutely wonderful. Well done "Emilys Mum" for finding that and posting it.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
True Albion supporting legend and, as so many have said, a genuinely nice guy to chat to over a pint or two. One of the people we can really thank for still having a club to support at any level. And the GE article was genius. RIP.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
A powerful reason for the ultimate success of the supporters' campaign for a new stadium was people like Roy Chuter. He was in at the start, raging against the boardroom from the Goldstone terraces. His trade was writing and he became a star attraction of Gulls Eye, reputation sealed with that hilarious letter he wrote to David Bellotti's solicitors, who had threatened to sue him. It remains the funniest piece of satire in a whole decade of campaigning.

It was every man for himself in those early days of campaigning - people used to rock up on a Saturday afternoon with whatever idea they'd dreamt up in the week. An individualist, Roy probably enjoyed this first stage of the stadium struggle more than the later ones. Even so, he linked arms with people like Ian Hart, Paul Samrah and his best friend John Baine to get the snowball rolling in those desperate early days. Without them, there might have been no later days, no Bring Home the Albion or Falmer For All campaigns, no 30,000-seat stadium, perhaps no Albion itself.

Later on, after the men in the white hats had taken control of the club, he felt it safe, with other honourable people, to move from poacher to gamekeeper. He edited the programme in those hand-to-mouth days when everyone from the printers down got used to waiting six months or more for bills to be settled, understanding the terrible lack of cashflow and doing what they could to keep the club floating.

He'd lost more than one huge Albion fan from his own family and one of his great wishes was that there should be a garden of remembrance at the stadium. He helped win that battle and he helped win another one too - that there should be real ale on tap at the Amex. There is perhaps only one way to toast him when we're next in the ground.

A loveable, gentle man, Roy Chuter was a convinced atheist. Right now, let's hope he was mistaken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here