Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hoskins Set to Retire.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I don't buy this argument. I like CMS but his first touch is poor, and he isn't a 'Gus' type player, so I do agree that it was odd for Gus to sign him in the first place. But this stuff about not playing to his strengths and how he is good at running on to through balls- how many times has he scored for us when one on one with the keeper? He nearly always hits it straight at him. He isn't very good at them.

CMS would be good in an old fashioned front two partnership with Ulloa, but we're not going to play that way. Personally I think we should sell him and spend the couple of million we get on a replacement that can play the way we want.

A reasonable post. I don't buy the 'sell him cos he's crap' viewpoint that some people seem to have.

For what it's worth, he scored a one-on-one at Ipswich on New Year's day, but I can't think of any more.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Personally I think we should sell him and spend the couple of million we get on a replacement that can play the way we want.
Do you really think we would get 2million for him? I personally think we would be very luck to get a million back on him.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Does he have a year left on his current contract ? He might have to face an extremely tough decision on retiring from the pro game altogether or dropping down a couple of leagues to earn a crust. If he takes an insurance payout because of the injury can he only play at an amateur level if he wants to continue on playing ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
FWIW I think that CMS will be a revelation in the way OG wants us to play it is obvious at this early stage with only a limited amount of time working with the players he wants the ball got to the front men very quick and that will enable CMS to use his speed.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Do you really think we would get 2million for him? I personally think we would be very luck to get a million back on him.

We could have got £2M before he had the back problems and then did his achilles , can't see anyone wanting to fork out more than £500k for him now unless he returns refreshed and scores 20+.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
FWIW I think that CMS will be a revelation in the way OG wants us to play it is obvious at this early stage with only a limited amount of time working with the players he wants the ball got to the front men very quick and that will enable CMS to use his speed.

When he comes back will we see "Duracell Bunny" or "Labrador" ?

Brighton Gull

Apr 14, 2011
Brighton
Sorry if it's true, he hasn't played enough for us to really know how useful he could have been. As for CMS, I've always said he's never had the service but if OG wants the ball passed forward then I reckon CMS is your man.
More worryingly, this was on BBC site from Solly March: "With the new gaffer [Oscar Garcia] in and the new staff we're doing two-touch [drills] in training." Good to know they're teaching them the basics! Aaargh, if they can't do them at this level, we're doomed, we're all doomed!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
CMS uses his hustle and bustle and determination to get through the start of a season in style, but in the quieter spells he seems to recognise his limitations, or perhaps have them thrust upon him when spraying shorts passes into the crowd, and in spite of all his efforts loses thorough belief in himself and leaves games without any sort of end result. His rabid terrier head-down routine is one that Oscar would applaud and feel that we benefit from, but he will have to work incredibly hard on his touch and allround game, both in terms of fluidity and seeing the bigger picture, to be of enough use to look to start a game or two. Off the bench he might be alright when fit.

I'm with the Commander about him not being used rightly by Gus. I doubt from his number of goals and the natural confidence that must have built in him that he would be seen to need so much tutoring or psychological care to keep him going. I hope he gets the chance to fit in a bit more with Oscar and feel more at home. In terms of his value, he's still a couple of million pound Scotland international who gave Spain a run for their money.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

If he's fit and playing, then yes. He wasn't far off being on course to get twenty for us last year when he got injured, and twenty goal a season Championship strikers cost a hell of a lot of money. What you don't see from that stat is that he should have had thirty already with the chances he had!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I really hope he doesn't have to retire. 27 is no age to finish in the game and if he can get fit I really think he still has a lot to offer.

Must be a really dark time for him but I hope he can keep his chin up and come back stronger, definitely fitter and bag some goals!

Reckon it means a new striker for us now though.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If he's fit and playing, then yes. He wasn't far off being on course to get twenty for us last year when he got injured, and twenty goal a season Championship strikers cost a hell of a lot of money. What you don't see from that stat is that he should have had thirty already with the chances he had!

If I may be so bold to add weight to your argument. Money has gone mad in football and I could foresee a wealthy team in League One throwing that sort of money at him, knowing he will score lots and lots in the division, either that or a promoted team. CMS might not be so keen obviously, but getting a return on him isn't out of the question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here