Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brewdog Brighton - it's happening - it's here!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nah gimme a lager any day

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

What lagers do you like best ? The new American dark lagers are interesting. Or maybe a Steam lager or a Swartzbier or Pilsner or a Bock. Some of the German Dunkels are classed as lagers as are the dopplebocks and Helles of course. The Kellers and the Maisbocks are good, but I like the Marzens and the Vienna amber lagers best.
And they can all be served chilled.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What lagers do you like best ? The new American dark lagers are interesting. Or maybe a Steam lager or a Swartzbier or Pilsner or a Bock. Some of the German Dunkels are classed as lagers as are the dopplebocks and Helles of course. The Kellers and the Maisbocks are good, but I like the Marzens and the Vienna amber lagers best.
And they can all be served chilled.

Which could you recommend? I'm reasonably well versed with helles, pils and lagers etc (Augustiner and Rothaus my faves) . Aside from a few craft one-offs the only Vienna I know is Brooklyn Lager. Again, any tips?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I can't read this. Can you paste the article?

Brewdog’s investors discover dilution
March 15, 2017

Remember Brewdog? They’re the independent Scottish beer business who run obnoxious advertising campaigns, have a penchant for crowdfunding and have promised to never sell the company “to a monolithic purveyor of industrial beer”.

Well, at the end of this month, Brewdog is holding a general meeting to approve several important changes to its articles of association, which it says will pave the way for an injection of cash from an unnamed investor.

Those resolutions include the temporary removal of pre-emption rights, so current shareholders can’t stop their stakes being diluted by the fundraising, and, more exciting still, the creation of generous preferred shares that give the new investor a ton of downside protection.

On a liquidation, return of capital, a sale of the Company or its business or a listing of the Company, they are entitled to receive the higher of (i) a preferred return preference of 18 per cent per annum compounding annually and (ii) such amount as would be applied to the holders of the C shares if they ranked pari passu with the A Ordinary Shares and B Ordinary Shares.

According to a letter to shareholders on Monday, Brewdog could sell up to 30 per cent of the company to the investor. Certain “significant shareholders” will be able to sell up 20 per cent of their holdings too.

Other, insignificant shareholders will just have to hold on and hope.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Which could you recommend? I'm reasonably well versed with helles, pils and lagers etc (Augustiner and Rothaus my faves) . Aside from a few craft one-offs the only Vienna I know is Brooklyn Lager. Again, any tips?

My wife adores the Thornbridge Helles in Craft but I find it bland. The Vienna style is much more of a traditional in the red/amber style but one I would like to try more of. I'm not a fan of Brooklyn lager. Got bladdered on that Dopplebock they do in that Berlin place with the arched opening we spoke about but I'm loving Crafts Black Forest Hefeweizen at the moment as it is a regular. Not really a lager I suppose but I am in to my wheat beers of late. If you can get hold of a good Marzen then that can be a surprise. A friend of mine goes to Düsseldorf for all their home games and swears by their Altbier but I've never got to try that.
It's such a struggle all this isn't it ?

Jul 7, 2003
My wife adores the Thornbridge Helles in Craft but I find it bland.

I have the same issue with their Kolsch - Tzara. I don't get any flavour from it. The good thing is it forced me to try the different beers and put me on the road to my fruity and sour beers I love so much.

I don't mind the Camden Hells as a lager - especially bottled - whereas I find the Meantime Helles fairly bland. Worst one has to Frontier. It is advertised as a craft lager but tastes like the old chemical lagers from the 80's.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have the same issue with their Kolsch - Tzara. I don't get any flavour from it. The good thing is it forced me to try the different beers and put me on the road to my fruity and sour beers I love so much.

I don't mind the Camden Hells as a lager - especially bottled - whereas I find the Meantime Helles fairly bland. Worst one has to Frontier. It is advertised as a craft lager but tastes like the old chemical lagers from the 80's.

I actually meant the Kolsch, sorry. Yes it's the Cologne style isn't it. I think it has to be brewed within a 50km distance of Cologne for it to be called a Kolsch and not Kolsch styled beer. All bollox really. I like the sour beers as well. I like watching watching people's faces who have never drank a gueze before if they try mine.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I believe there are a few taps from my formerly local and generally favoured brewery in at the moment (Kinnegar). Rustbucket, if they still have it, absolutely needs a try.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So what does everyone make of the Brewdog news? For those that have not seen it they have sold a 22% stake to a VC company that values Brewdog PLC @ £1bn.

Many are up in arms that it is not very 'punk' to be getting involved with suits, goes against everything they've said and probably building a path to be acquired by one of the big breweries?
Personally I take Brewdog for what it is. A business that has has a strong unique brand, gone about some interesting fundraising with EFP etc but at the end of the day it is a business and there becomes a point and scale where you need to possibly go against some of your 'values.'

Fair play to them and given they are looking at shareholders to sell some shares, which I make mine valued at an increase of 2675% since 2011... I may partake in offloading the capped 15% of them!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So what does everyone make of the Brewdog news? For those that have not seen it they have sold a 22% stake to a VC company that values Brewdog PLC @ £1bn.

Many are up in arms that it is not very 'punk' to be getting involved with suits, goes against everything they've said and probably building a path to be acquired by one of the big breweries?
Personally I take Brewdog for what it is. A business that has has a strong unique brand, gone about some interesting fundraising with EFP etc but at the end of the day it is a business and there becomes a point and scale where you need to possibly go against some of your 'values.'

not really, they are profitable and shown they have a market for selling equity to for funding further growth. and why do they need to grow so much? there is a scale at which you are no longer "craft" and another large brewery.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fair play to them and given they are looking at shareholders to sell some shares, which I make mine valued at an increase of 2675% since 2011... I may partake in offloading the capped 15% of them!

It has been said many are up in arms yet I understand it was voted through with 95% support from shareholders. Selling a 22% stake to raise cash to increase their global sales isn't a big deal to me as long as the investor broadly fits the Brewdog profile and the company ethos and quality isn't compromised. If this helps get Punk IPA into every country in the world then the world will be a better place.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

They're aiming to break America - that's your gamble. Get a large increase now or get an even more larger return if they break the US.
I like 2 of their 15 or so beers, the rest is pretty tasteless but fair play for investing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They're aiming to break America - that's your gamble. Get a large increase now or get an even more larger return if they break the US.
I like 2 of their 15 or so beers, the rest is pretty tasteless but fair play for investing.

Which beers do you find tasteless? They're usually accused of being too overpowering as opposed to tasteless.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Which beers do you find tasteless? They're usually accused of being too overpowering as opposed to tasteless.

Have to admit I do find Brewdog's Kingpin lager particularly unworthy. Expected far better, maybe something along the lines of coming close to beating the Czechs at their own game. Or at least injecting a bit of flavour into the thing. Just seems like they've added a lager to the range without really giving it their full care and attention. Just another cooking lager, no matter how they try to dress it up. IMHO, like.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I guess when I say tasteless, I mean not to my taste.

Dead Pony (which is tastless)
5AM saint
Jack Hammer
Elvis . . . .
I had to leave my mates for half hour in brewdog London sat, whilst they drunk their soapy dishwater

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Eric Potts

Jul 26, 2004
Top o' Hanover

"Turning rebellion into money"

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I thought people were pissed off because Brewdog have been suing small businesses for copyright infringement and acting like they invented the word 'punk.'

And for being transphobic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I guess when I say tasteless, I mean not to my taste.

Dead Pony (which is tastless)
5AM saint
Jack Hammer
Elvis . . . .

I see. IMO Dead Pony is pointless if you have ever drunk Punk IPA. I agree the others might not be to your taste but they are quite strong tasting beers....hence my question.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here