Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldWithFalmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The shirt was bad,but even worse and slipping under the radar were the shorts,they did not fit right and were made of god knows what shinny material..
    Whose shins were they made out of? Do you know?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Rediffusion PlayerofYear Goldstone Rapper's Avatar

Quick question: What was Sports Express?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tony Le Mesmer View Post
      GR, the sponsors lettering of 'NOBO' on the top in the photo is red, which instantly looks odd to me, as mine is blue.
      I don't ever remember seeing us play with the red lettering but could be wrong....
      A quick look through the archives is inconclusive due to VHS quality. But the first close up shot of the away kit in action midseason in 1989/90 had NOBO in blue.
      Seagulls TV - www.seagulls.tv - the Albion retro site - for videos, profiles, photos, stats
      The Goldstone Wrap - www.thegoldstonewrap.com - the Albion retro blog - for memorabilia and magazine cuttings - a new post every day!
      Seaweed! Seaweed! GoldWithFalmer's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Kumquat View Post
      Whose shins were they made out of? Do you know?
      In Deo Fidemus we know our history,yet we embrace change-Hello from the real Brighton

Posh? i'd say a non clock watcher,an early riser,creator of ones own fortune,a grafter,a clever dick,an inheritor,a late home type,one that makes sacrifice,gifted maybe.

0 Not allowed!
      I still like that away shirt. I hated the ribero play off final one that followed.
      Fan of the 17 bus Cowfold Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone Rapper View Post

The logo is on the Brighton shirts of 1989 to 1991. The name took over the name of the Seagulls Shop for a time. But what was 'Sports Express', exactly?

Was it an external sportswear company that took over the running of the club shop for a fee, or was it a brand created by the club as it tried to design its kit in-house and keep all the profits from replica shirt sales within the club?

Also, was the 'Sports Express' tag an attempt to increase profits at the club by trying to branch out into selling merchandise and sportswear of other sports, besides association football? Does anyone remember?

Obviously, this detail in the club's history isn't particularly significant. But hopefully, somewhere, someone knows the answer!
      ok ok, l did for a time know the lady who was partly responsible for Sports Express, She worked in the club shop alongside Margaret Sanderson, (anyone remember Margaret?, or what became of her?, she ran the club shop for years), anyway l digress, the lady l was referring to, wish l could remember her name, was responsible for lots of the design work on the club kit over that period.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      ok ok, l did for a time know the lady who was partly responsible for Sports Express, She worked in the club shop alongside Margaret Sanderson, (anyone remember Margaret?, or what became of her?, she ran the club shop for years), anyway l digress, the lady l was referring to, wish l could remember her name, was responsible for lots of the design work on the club kit over that period.
      I remember Margret, she ran the junior seagulls club for years. An unsung hero back in the day.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Yes, I remember Margaret Sanderson from running the Junior Seagulls and Seagull shop. I also remember her side-kick, not sure of her name, but was a similar age and had a bee-hive type hairstyle.
      "We are all Shamen on a Spiritual quest."
      Rediffusion PlayerofYear Goldstone Rapper's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cowfold Seagull View Post
      So was it Sue Huffer, the name mentioned on the thread at http://www.northstandchat.com/showth...aret-Sanderson ?
      Seagulls TV - www.seagulls.tv - the Albion retro site - for videos, profiles, photos, stats
      The Goldstone Wrap - www.thegoldstonewrap.com - the Albion retro blog - for memorabilia and magazine cuttings - a new post every day!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Unacceptale. She is barely 'legal'

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone Rapper View Post
      Thanks, guys.

Here's the ecstacy inspired shirt design in close-up:

If you stare at the Magic Eye pattern of the shirt long enough you might get to see.... a football genius!

I own that exact shirt (well a JC worn one). Subtle differences from the replica versions, embroidered badge and Sports Express logos, the NOBO panel is also better quality and better printed.

Name:  brighton-and-hove-albion-away-football-shirt-1989-1991-s_6119_1.jpg
Views: 1447
Size:  216.1 KB