Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Quick question: What was Sports Express?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
GR, the sponsors lettering of 'NOBO' on the top in the photo is red, which instantly looks odd to me, as mine is blue.
I don't ever remember seeing us play with the red lettering but could be wrong....

A quick look through the archives is inconclusive due to VHS quality. But the first close up shot of the away kit in action midseason in 1989/90 had NOBO in blue.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
sportsexpress.jpg

The logo is on the Brighton shirts of 1989 to 1991. The name took over the name of the Seagulls Shop for a time. But what was 'Sports Express', exactly?

Was it an external sportswear company that took over the running of the club shop for a fee, or was it a brand created by the club as it tried to design its kit in-house and keep all the profits from replica shirt sales within the club?

Also, was the 'Sports Express' tag an attempt to increase profits at the club by trying to branch out into selling merchandise and sportswear of other sports, besides association football? Does anyone remember?

Obviously, this detail in the club's history isn't particularly significant. But hopefully, somewhere, someone knows the answer!

ok ok, l did for a time know the lady who was partly responsible for Sports Express, She worked in the club shop alongside Margaret Sanderson, (anyone remember Margaret?, or what became of her?, she ran the club shop for years), anyway l digress, the lady l was referring to, wish l could remember her name, was responsible for lots of the design work on the club kit over that period.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
ok ok, l did for a time know the lady who was partly responsible for Sports Express, She worked in the club shop alongside Margaret Sanderson, (anyone remember Margaret?, or what became of her?, she ran the club shop for years), anyway l digress, the lady l was referring to, wish l could remember her name, was responsible for lots of the design work on the club kit over that period.

I remember Margret, she ran the junior seagulls club for years. An unsung hero back in the day.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Yes, I remember Margaret Sanderson from running the Junior Seagulls and Seagull shop. I also remember her side-kick, not sure of her name, but was a similar age and had a bee-hive type hairstyle.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

So was it Sue Huffer, the name mentioned on the thread at http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?280686-Does-anyone-remember-Margaret-Sanderson ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Thanks, guys.

Here's the ecstacy inspired shirt design in close-up:

If you stare at the Magic Eye pattern of the shirt long enough you might get to see.... a football genius!

I own that exact shirt (well a JC worn one). Subtle differences from the replica versions, embroidered badge and Sports Express logos, the NOBO panel is also better quality and better printed.

brighton-and-hove-albion-away-football-shirt-1989-1991-s_6119_1.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here