Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt: I'll be ready for new season [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Bridcutt: I'll be ready for new season[/h]9:00am Thursday 6th June 2013 in Albion By Brian Owen
2205073.jpg
Liam Bridcutt in typical action
Liam Bridcutt is ready to work overtime to ensure he is fully fit for the new Championship season.
The Albion midfielder needed pain-killing injections to get through the last four games of his side’s ultimately unsuccessful promotion push.
Now, after pulling out of Scotland’s game in Croatia tomorrow, he admits he will be a regular visitor to the treatment room in the run-up to pre-season.
Seagulls skipper Gordon Greer also misses the Scotland game after he finally admitted defeat to tonsillitis, which has troubled him recently.
Greer was not on the team flight to Zagreb yesterday.
Bridcutt was advised by Scottish staff to rest for a few weeks after being ruled out of the World Cup qualifier by a groin problem.
He said: “Everyone who knows me knows that I always want to play, even if I’m injured or ill, so it was a really hard decision to pull out.
“I spoke to (Scotland manager) Gordon Strachan and he knew I was disappointed. He was also disappointed that I couldn’t make it. It’s just one of those things.
“If I don’t rest it and let it recover, I could be at risk of not being fully fit for next season and I can’t risk that.
“We have a few weeks until we’re back in pre-season, and although I’m on holiday in Cyprus at the moment, this is the only break I will get.
“I’ve been in for treatment every other day since the season finished and getting a programme ready so that I can get myself sorted.
“When I get back from holiday I will be in every day to make sure that everything is right.”
Bridcutt showed no signs of being below full fitness as he finished a season which saw him crowned Albion player of the year for a second successive season and earn widespread plaudits.
He added: “It’s not a massive problem but it needs time to settle.
“The doctor said that it will be five to six weeks rest and then it will be fine. With the exercises I’ve been given it should help the problem and stop it from coming back.
“I’m feeling good though and everything seems to be going to plan.
“I’ve had a problem with a stress fracture in my pubis a few years ago that might have affected it. Now it the time to get it sorted if I want to get through the whole season playing every game.
“I was playing with injections for the last four games of the season and that is not ideal for a player my age. But it was a crucial time for us and I wanted to play every game.
“It’s one of those things and now it’s just rest, do my programme and come back 100%ready.
“As soon as I’m back I’ll be in and out of the treatment room so that I’m not playing catch-up.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here