Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Turkish Spring... perhaps

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Tweets on Twitter saying crowds were being kettled into subways and then tear gassed.

Into subways and side streets...... video evidence of armoured trucks crashing into barriers and over people and reports of agent orange.... not looking good.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Jesus, that is serious unrest did you just take that ?

Downloaded from Twitter. The key place is #occupygezi some of the tweets are Turkish but by no means all.

Gives the lie to BBC saying its all peace and quiet.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Downloaded from Twitter. The key place is #occupygezi some of the tweets are Turkish but by no means all.

Stay safe mate, looks decidedly angry out there at present.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Looks like a good night out in Croydon :eek:

Thats the first laugh I ve had tonight!!! Cheers :) Sleep Izmir seems to have gone quiet but the on one TV channel with live pictures is showing Istanbul and Ankara still very much alive... god knows what tomorrow will bring.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Not the Nike riots again the leaders of Istanbul would do well to look back at history

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Makes ours look peaceful. I hope you and your family are safe whilst these troubles continue, and hope they end soon.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Thanks for all the wishes peeps. Its 00.30 here and despite whats happening in the centre of Izmir and all over Turkey its quiet now in our suburb and Ive got to be up and awake tomorrow morning not least to make sure I can keep the kids safe. So Im off the sleep. Will update tomorrow.

May you live in boring times.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
It is very concerning the hints of Islamification of Turkey under the current regime and the treatment of journalists who oppose it. After seeing what has been happening in the region, perhaps it is not surprising that Turks feel strongly by the apparent threat to secularism and free speech under Erdogan.

However I am not worried that it will escalate into an Arab Spring scale event or anything close, democracy is still alive and well in Turkey - and unlike the dictatorships involved in the Arab Spring, the Turkish Army would oppose and even overthrow a government that goes against the six arrows of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

Good morning everyone. No change here. Protests still entrenched in the big cities and much the same going on. All quiet here in Karsiyaka.

MK, sorry you need to be here but it is not as you think. I doubt that this is an Arab Spring , true, not least because Erdogan has a democratic mandate and there are parties opposing him in the mainstream sphere. However, the military has been de-fanged over the last ten years and they have neither the power nor the will to get involved. And this is probably just as well as the problem with Turkey in the past is that political awareness did not develop because whenever there was a crisis the military got involved..... people stayed divorced from the process. perhaps what is happening now is just part of Turkey growing up politically. I dont know. As for Ataturk.... the attitude to him has changed. he is no longer a godhead... Still a unifying force but unlikely to motivate a whole movement of disparate beliefs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here