Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Legends Back Albion Cancer Campaign

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Guy Butters and Dick Knight were among over 100 guests who took part in a special pub quiz this week to support Albion in the Community’s latest cancer awareness project.
The club’s former chairman and captain were joined by Albion fans, local GP’s, local council staff and volunteers for the event at The Romans pub in Southwick to support the 'Albion’s Be Cancer Aware’ campaign.
The project aims to increase awareness of the early signs and symptoms of lung, breast, bowel and prostate cancer among men and women over the age of 50, living in Adur and Worthing.
It is also encouraging people with suspected signs and symptoms to visit their GP and get checked out with the aim of improving early detection and diagnosis rates – the key to helping more people survive cancer.
The initiative works with local volunteers, many of them cancer survivors, who spread the message on symptom awareness at local awareness-raising events as they highlight their own positive life stories.
The quiz, which included special Albion and cancer awareness rounds, was won by ‘The Class of 83’ who took the first prize of signed copies of ‘Stadium Yes’, the photographic book which chronicles the building of the American Express Community Stadium.
Sue Brown, from AITC, who co-ordinates the project said, “It was great to see so many people come out to support the event and help us raise awareness of a serious issue in a fun way.
“Having that connection with the Albion is really important for the project. People see the club as something they recognise and identify with and this can sometimes make it easier for them to talk about cancer.”
John Palfrey, a volunteer, lifelong Albion fan and prostate cancer survivor added, “Being a volunteer offers me the chance to give something small back after the huge support that was extended to me when I was ill. If I can get one person to consider having a check-up, where something is found early, and a possible life is saved, it will be worthwhile."
The project will be visiting a number of events across Worthing and Adur over the next few months and will also be hosting awareness talks for local businesses and major employers.
To find out more about the initiative and how to get involved in volunteering visit the Albion’s Be Cancer Aware website at www.albionsbecanceraware.com and Facebook page here (www.facebook.com/albionsbecanceraware). Alternatively email sue.brown@albioninthecommunity.org.uk.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here