Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion about to be discussed on 5 live

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Completely agree. Some people on here seem to think Gus has made us rise from the ashes, he has done a decent job but he has had very good financial backing all along. Anyone who thinks he's been 'the best manager in decades' obviously believes Gus's own hype.

Actually I don't think people think that...some are just trying to offer an alternative view to the current fashion of all things Poyet are bad....the momentum is with the Poyet bashers...I'm more interested in what comes next so I can look forward to watching some football come August

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The mood in THIS thread is somewhat different to that in the 'Kill Paul Barber' thread across the road. Let's hope the regulars in there don't wander over at closing time.

Maybe they wudnt want anyone from this thread to pop over there.....pity really we are all supposed to be supporting the same club

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
It sounded like the presenter said we were punching above our weight thanks to Gus, what a moron. He can jog on.
Hat off to McGarry for the facts & Claridge for the good rant.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Sorry, that really isn't true. There is no point in rewriting history just to slag off Gus. Mackay at Cardiff got a lot more backing, Leicester have spent significant money and all three relegated teams had much higher wage bills and Blackburn spent £8 million on Rhodes. I'm not criticising the club because we need to be careful not to spend too much but to say Gus was the most backed manager in the Championship is rubbish.
There is backing by letting the manager buy who and what he likes...then there is backing like giving the manager the right to buy players but in a financial restriction....who will end up the most financial stable condition...?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Exactly.

We may not have the money of the carefully selected and quoted Cardiff, Leicester, and parachute payment Blackburn, but compared to most clubs come season 12/13, very generous 5-figure wages per week were being paid to Bridge, CMS, Upson, Ulloa, David, Kuzschk, Orlandi, Vicente.

A wage bill 40% higher than Wembley-bound CPFC's in 11/12, and since then upped considerably shows the financial support the club, fans and TB gave to Poyet, yet he still wasn't satisfied. Others like Holloway, Jackett and Powell, just get on with their job, and leave money talk to behind closed doors.

Kenny Jackett had far more reason to moan than Gus given that the team were flying before Henderson and Wood left. But he just got on with it. Made his point by resigning at the end of the season but even then I don't recall a tirade against the board.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Summary:
+ Gary Dicker insistent poogate was nothing to do with the players or coaching staff who were in the players lounge for several hours before the game, eating etc.
+ Some bellend from Redhill thinks Brighton should be docked points, Dicker disagrees.
+ He thinks it's strange that the chairman dealt with contracts rather than Poyet.
+ Ian McGarry says Bloom has backed Poyet more than any other chairman has backed any other manager in the division.
+ Claridge says we're upwardly mobile and that Poyet seems to have pushed too far, worrying about himself rather than the club.
+ Motty says something high pitched and incomprehensible but remains bafflingly a national treasure.
+ Claridge talks over everyone else for four or five minutes in extremely basic English: "Look, the thing is, if you say, if you make, let's, shall we say, a sentence, that isn't coming across like it should be...you know?" No Steve. No we don't. Shut up and get your ****ing barnet sorted.

Can you please do potted match reviews next season, that made me chuckle aloud!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just because that's the story Gus spun does not mean it's true...I've always said that the like's of TK, Saltor, Vicente, Lopez, Orlandi, Cms, Ulloa didn't come here on 10k less than they could have got somewhere else. It's just not true that we under pay players, do people think they are bloody crazy? Yeah let's turn down 10k to go and play for Poyet!!!!!...get real, It didn't happen. We match anyone in this league on wages, if you don't believe that your deluded and almost certainly in the Gus is god camp.
Those that dislike Poyet may choose to ignore the facts and agree with you, but your statement is based on your personal view of Poyet, and it's completely detached from reality.

Gus said we were paying less than the others - I have no interest in that, it could have been true, it could have been lies - so let's ignore it and look at the facts. Our financial accounts have been submitted, and are there for all to see, as are those of other clubs, and we've paid a lot less in wages than several other clubs. Look at the financial details that El President has posted, this is not about opinions or what Gus has said, it's about facts.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Kenny Jackett had far more reason to moan than Gus given that the team were flying before Henderson and Wood left. But he just got on with it. Made his point by resigning at the end of the season but even then I don't recall a tirade against the board.

and?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
did I hear right that Holloway found the poo?

Seems a bit weird, not that I'm suggesting anything untoward from Palace, but how come he was first in?

And I'm afraid in legal terms we've got him bang to rights.

'The one who smelt it, dealt it'.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I never understood why any fan would give a crap (pun intended) about what other people or fans think about us.

It screams "My existence needs to be validated".

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Agreed. It was a 5 year plan, Gus knew this. The money shelled out on a stadium and training ground mean't that the budget for players would be lower than for some other clubs. The players are training on poor facilities, the benefits of a decent training ground will bare fruits, but not for a few years.
I believe that Gus would be given time to reach the Prem, perhaps he was too impatient.

Indeed. 'Best backed' in this instance isn't about money. Other clubs had more but you can't say Pearson at Leicester was 'backed' by his chairman. He was given money but also a gun was put to his head - with the trigger promptly pulled when he didn't deliver.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
The amount of people apparently "embarrassed" is incredible. They must be beside themselves with grief. Nobody gives a sh1t (Oh hang on)

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
Summary:
+ Gary Dicker insistent poogate was nothing to do with the players or coaching staff who were in the players lounge for several hours before the game, eating etc.
+ Some bellend from Redhill thinks Brighton should be docked points, Dicker disagrees.
+ He thinks it's strange that the chairman dealt with contracts rather than Poyet.
+ Ian McGarry says Bloom has backed Poyet more than any other chairman has backed any other manager in the division.
+ Claridge says we're upwardly mobile and that Poyet seems to have pushed too far, worrying about himself rather than the club.
+ Motty says something high pitched and incomprehensible but remains bafflingly a national treasure.
+ Claridge talks over everyone else for four or five minutes in extremely basic English: "Look, the thing is, if you say, if you make, let's, shall we say, a sentence, that isn't coming across like it should be...you know?" No Steve. No we don't. Shut up and get your ****ing barnet sorted.

Fantastic summary :-D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here