Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was Gus asked/told to speak to Reading?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...or have the club engineered this so they dont have to pay compensation?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think it's a fair assumption that anyone on NSC genuinely in the know would be keeping quiet at the moment.

Instead, enjoy the wild guesses/theories being thrown around comfortable in the knowledge that you're as clueless as the vast majority of us.

Indeed - nobody knows anything at all. Watching the theories of rubbish snowball around is quite funny though.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Indeed - nobody knows anything at all. Watching the theories of rubbish snowball around is quite funny though.

Yep, slightly worrying when you consider people's apparent willingness to write off Poyet/Barber/Charlie based on...well, nothing!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yep, slightly worrying when you consider people's apparent willingness to write off Poyet/Barber/Charlie based on...well, nothing!

Indeed. I'm very surprised how quickly people have turned against Gus after being adulated for 3 years and got us to a great position, playing good football (until last week). If it is mainly down to his "apparent" chasing of other jobs, then I'm surprised the same people want Martinez who's been angling for a better job at every opportunity for 6 months now - he's just used more tactful language than Gus.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course not, but what if they made it clear that they'd like him to speak to them? I don't recall any comment from the board about how pleased they were that he'd decided to stay, but I accept I could be wrong on that. How would Gus be expected to take it if the club made it clear that they were happy for him to go as long as they got the compensation? IF and it's a big IF this was the case it would explain why Gus expects to be ousted or wants to leave?

All complete idle speculation I accept but I think we should explore some avenues, as everything is so murky and unclear, where Gus may not be the bad guy in all of this, seeing as so many on here, myself included, have been pointing the finger at him?

Also are you certain that Gus openly spoke to Reading or are you just assuming it?

Are you for real?

As for whether he openly spoke to the press perhaps you should go back and read the all the stories in the press at the time, none of which were denied. Or perhaps you will only believe things you actually physically witness yourself!!!!

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Poyet's tune changed after the reading thing. He started going on about 10 out of contract players all the time and how professional they were putting in a shift when they are not sure if they are at the club next season. He said this at least twice in almost every press conference and post match. I don't know, something doesn't add up.

From the BBC website:

Poyet turned down the chance to take over at Reading in March and since then BBC Sussex's Albion commentator Johnny Cantor believes the Uruguayan's future has been uncertain.

"His body language changed. The way he dealt with me and the press changed about two months ago," Cantor said.

"You do feel there must have been some kind of falling out and that may have been a culmination of various things.

"He has done a great job in three-and-a-half years but he has always said he wants to manage in the Premier League.

"I think this has been building gradually. The straw which broke the camel's back was probably the fact he wouldn't deal with the retained list."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are you for real? !!!!

Perhaps you'd like to give me a quote from Gus or the club that is definitive or do you believe all you read in the press, rather than sifting the info?

I haven't actually stated anything as being close to fact, I have merely asked questions. Should I be swallowing 100% the Gus is bad and he's brought this on himself line then? Seems the thing to do.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
From the BBC website:

Poyet turned down the chance to take over at Reading in March and since then BBC Sussex's Albion commentator Johnny Cantor believes the Uruguayan's future has been uncertain.

"His body language changed. The way he dealt with me and the press changed about two months ago," Cantor said.

"You do feel there must have been some kind of falling out and that may have been a culmination of various things.

"He has done a great job in three-and-a-half years but he has always said he wants to manage in the Premier League.

"I think this has been building gradually. The straw which broke the camel's back was probably the fact he wouldn't deal with the retained list."

if his assumptions are as good as his commentaries ......PAH

the one person whose assumption I would like to hear is Warren Aspinal's

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Perhaps you'd like to give me a quote from Gus or the club that is definitive or do you believe all you read in the press, rather than sifting the info?

I haven't actually stated anything as being close to fact, I have merely asked questions. Should I be swallowing 100% the Gus is bad and he's brought this on himself line then? Seems the thing to do.

spot on
from the horses mouth only

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Do you attend all the press conferences given because if you don't, I doubt you will believe anything that other people write.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21889618

I would respectfully ask if you could point me in the direction of the retraction of this article or at the very least, Poyet's denial. Would help set the matter straight. I agree that you can't believe everything you read but the Reading situation is hardly controversial. Wasn't aware anyone disputed the story that he had talked to them!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Do you attend all the press conferences given because if you don't, I doubt you will believe anything that other people write.

I would respectfully ask if you could point me in the direction of the retraction of this article or at the very least, Poyet's denial. Would help set the matter straight. I agree that you can't believe everything you read but the Reading situation is hardly controversial. Wasn't aware anyone disputed the story that he had talked to them!

Listen to the interviews on Seagulls Player if you have it. It's very plain.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Fair enough. I haven't heard a single comment from Gus or the Club (maybe I missed it) about whether either of them were happy or not with the situation afterwards or otherwise, hence my very original point. Did Gus actually want to talk to Reading or was he coerced into it? If Cantnor is to be believed, it all started going downhill from there. Aren't you just a little curious as to why that might be? Maybe Bloom was pissed off that he chose to speak to them, maybe Gus didn't actually really want to speak to them? Maybe Cantnor doesn't have a clue what he is talking about? Who knows? I thought it was a point worth asking on here.

If someone has the answer I'd love to know it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think its very far fetched to suggest any manager can be asked to or coerced to speak to another club. it would be tantamount to asking them to leave. i could only imagine such a scenario likly if a club were in dire financial position and having the manager leave would do both parties a favor. it was suggested at the time that the board simply have a policy of not stopping Gus from talking, as that allows a smoother relationship rather than resentment - and a policy that a lot of clubs might pursue.

the fact he turned it down and didnt make a fuss about it means Gus didnt really take it too seriously, hear what they had to say, just to massage his ego.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fair enough. I haven't heard a single comment from Gus or the Club (maybe I missed it) about whether either of them were happy or not with the situation afterwards or otherwise, hence my very original point. Did Gus actually want to talk to Reading or was he coerced into it? If Cantnor is to be believed, it all started going downhill from there. Aren't you just a little curious as to why that might be? Maybe Bloom was pissed off that he chose to speak to them, maybe Gus didn't actually really want to speak to them? Maybe Cantnor doesn't have a clue what he is talking about? Who knows? I thought it was a point worth asking on here.

If someone has the answer I'd love to know it.

1. Gus was in Barbados on holiday
2. Charlie has said 'I don't know when Gus got to speak to Reading as it took me 3 days to get hold of him'
3. Tanno said 'No disrespect but it was only Reading'

All the above are on Player.

My opinion is that the club gave permission for Reading to contact Gus as he had a clause in his contract that Prem clubs were allowed to talk to him. He was away on holiday but his agent probably spoke to them, and then Gus said he wasn't interested.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
1. Gus was in Barbados on holiday
2. Charlie has said 'I don't know when Gus got to speak to Reading as it took me 3 days to get hold of him'
3. Tanno said 'No disrespect but it was only Reading'

All the above are on Player.

My opinion is that the club gave permission for Reading to contact Gus as he had a clause in his contract that Prem clubs were allowed to talk to him. He was away on holiday but his agent probably spoke to them, and then Gus said he wasn't interested.

Thanks, that all sounds very clear cut, so without meaning to labour the point :rolleyes: why would it all have gone downhill from there do you think (if indeed it did).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Thanks, that all sounds very clear cut, so without meaning to labour the point :rolleyes: why would it all have gone downhill from there do you think (if indeed it did).

I don't know to be honest. This last week has been a shock to me as it has to the rest of us.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

If Poyet felt betrayed that the club has agreed to let Reading talk to Poyet, without speaking to him first?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here