Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was Gus asked/told to speak to Reading?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If Poyet felt betrayed that the club has agreed to let Reading talk to Poyet, without speaking to him first?

But as others have said, it may well be that he has a clause in his contract that means the club must let him know if a prem club (of for that matter any club) requests to speak to him. If that is the case then the club would be obliged to notify of that interest. Notwithstanding that, surely there would have been talk between Reading and his agent to see if he might be interested as I can't imagine them approaching the Albion if they didn't think they would at least get to talk to him. Now before the gus bus brigade jump on my back, I admit I don't know that for certain but it is speculation based on my understanding on how a lot of deals in football, whether that be managers or players, are initiated.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Poyet felt betrayed that the club has agreed to let Reading talk to Poyet, without speaking to him first?

He'd have reason to be pissed off I'd agree, especially as they appear to have made no other comment at the time or afterwards except that he was staying. ( that I have seen, can't find anything on player either).

I would have expected a "delighted Gus is staying to finish the job he started" bollocks at least.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But as others have said, it may well be that he has a clause in his contract that means the club must let him know if a prem club (of for that matter any club) requests to speak to him. If that is the case then the club would be obliged to notify of that interest. Notwithstanding that, surely there would have been talk between Reading and his agent to see if he might be interested as I can't imagine them approaching the Albion if they didn't think they would at least get to talk to him. Now before the gus bus brigade jump on my back, I admit I don't know that for certain but it is speculation based on my understanding on how a lot of deals in football, whether that be managers or players, are initiated.

I'm just guessing also. The main thing is, Poyet seemed to change after the whole Reading debacle. We were lead to believe the £2.5m compo was no problem for Reading, so that is why I wonder if we helped cause start this, however innocent that might be.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He'd have reason to be pissed off I'd agree, especially as they appear to have made no other comment at the time or afterwards except that he was staying. ( that I have seen, can't find anything on player either).

I would have expected a "delighted Gus is staying to finish the job he started" bollocks at least.

sometimes by saying nothing you say all you need to

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm just guessing also. The main thing is, Poyet seemed to change after the whole Reading debacle. We were lead to believe the £2.5m compo was no problem for Reading, so that is why I wonder if we helped cause start this, however innocent that might be.

Not quite sure what you're getting at! If there was a clause in the contract allowing him to talk to any prem club that asked, which wouldn't be unusual, then if the club hadn't allowed him to talk to Reading they would've been in breach of contract!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here