Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting statistic

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought Cardiff matched us no problem, and I thought we had some luck to beat Hull.

It happens, two people aren't going to agree on all games.

True, I'd forgotten about the Cardiff game and I didn't see the Hull one. Well I did but in foreign climes on a really shit internet connection on Sky via a VPN when I struggled to even tell the teams apart the picture was so fuzzy.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shocked at Middlesborough's demise. One of the best teams that I saw at the Amex this season and looking very strong for half the season.
I did a predictor a touch before we played M'boro up there. I had them ending up in 18th, so dismissed the enterprise.

Crazy crazy division.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Take a look at these stats:
BBC Sport - Brighton 0-1 Middlesbrough
69% possession, 16 shots vs 4, 8 corners vs 2. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that the stats show how I remember the game.

Stats can be misleading, never more so than this match. The reason we had so much possession is because Boro were happy to let us tap it around our 5-man midfield and play us on the break. Of our 16 shots very few were gilt-edge chances.

Sure, we were unlucky but credit to Tony Mowbray, who got his tactics spot on. We were then a fairly ponderous side. Since that time we've played a more attacking style of play at home with more strings to our bow and more unpredictability.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Ulloa and Upson. Look at the defensive record

Indeed.

I would also argue that the defensive record has also been influenced by the arrival of Ulloa. His defensive headers from corners & free kicks have been a major plus and the fact that he holds the ball up so well stops the ball coming straight back from attacks during open play.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought Cardiff matched us no problem, and I thought we had some luck to beat Hull.

It happens, two people aren't going to agree on all games.

Take a look at these stats:
BBC Sport - Brighton 0-1 Middlesbrough
69% possession, 16 shots vs 4, 8 corners vs 2. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that the stats show how I remember the game.

I think Pavillionaire has answered you as well as I could. Those stats do not reflect the game or their excellent defence on the day. I don't recall any glaring misses that day.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Stats can be misleading, never more so than this match. The reason we had so much possession is because Boro were happy to let us tap it around our 5-man midfield and play us on the break. Of our 16 shots very few were gilt-edge chances.

Sure, we were unlucky but credit to Tony Mowbray, who got his tactics spot on. We were then a fairly ponderous side. Since that time we've played a more attacking style of play at home with more strings to our bow and more unpredictability.

Exactly how I remember it. I thought Boro's defence was superb on the day and gave us very few clear cut chances, but at the same time we weren't as attacking at home then as we are now.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
I like it from the 15th March.

8 Games Played.

We haven't lost any of them.
Palace haven't won any of them.

Jimmy Grimble

Agree re: Boro game.

Woodgate and Bikey completely bossed us that day.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Surprised that Palace were as high as mid-table but look at poor Barnsley - in the play-offs here but likely to go down.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
We're going to smash Wolves tomorrow, I think a team low on confidence will struggle, will make plenty of defensive errors and our boys pick them off like they did Blackpool, if we can make that 2 home wins in a row with a big scoreline will really, really boost our own confidence.

Peterborough are fighting for championship survival, and have been in good form as of late. Palace on the other hand, nope. Will be a good day nonetheless, as we're already confirmed play offs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here