Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Running Advice

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
If you are running more than twice a week you will need more than one pair of running shoes. As sports go running is cheap so don't skip on the footwear. I always have a minimum of 8 pairs of running shoes. Sounds extravagant but it isn't. 4 pairs for road & 4 pairs for trail.

Now here is the big tip. For each pair of shoes record how many miles you run. If you buy a decent pair then race up to 150 miles in each pair, train up to 400 miles & plod up to 500 miles. Thereafter use the shoe as for casual purposes & the garden. That way you will reduce the risk of injury to your feet greatly.

Although the evidence for expensive running shoes with regard for injury prevention is fairly minimal, this isn't a bad way to go (if you're organised enough!). It's also good to find 'your' shoes and then buy as many as will fit in the house - bloody shoe companies "improve" them on a regular basis and they're never as good...

Is the n+1 formula used by runners as well as cyclists? As a triathlete I calss myself as neither...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think we're looking into the wrong or old shoes issue too much in this case. Yes, old or inappropriate shoes cause injuries, but the symptoms of this tend to present themselves as aches and pain in the affected are. They don't cause heavy (I'm reading this as weak) legs, particularly when the OP has said that on some runs he feels great.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Check out the bare foot running thing, its not about the shoes but all. About the technique. Once your muscles are used to it, it's gravy

do some squats to improve strength and run off road as much as possible.

Definitely agree. You have to mix it up. If you only plod for instance on flat pavement, you will only exercise the same muscles. Need to get out on those Downs at least once a week to build. Those calfs!

Leeds v BHA - Score Predictor

Now what's the score for tomorrow?

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
This was my first thought. I definitely don't drink enough water in all honesty.

I've tried first thing in the morning but that's even worse as it takes me a good few hours for my body to fully wake up. Generally speaking I do seem better when I'm not at work so perhaps fatigue could be a factor.

It's not about what u drink just before, it's about the day before. The pee test is the best measure. If its light its good, the darker it is the more dehydrated you are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here