Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I really hope Gus doesn't try to defend 'gnasher' Suarez...

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Why bother? The fa will ban him. And honestly, what have Liverpool got to play for this season? It would be an almost empty gesture by them.

I thought they would as they dealt with him softly last year. I know it would not make any difference, but it would show that they are taking it seriously. Do you not think a fine is an empty gesture?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Maybe the liverpool players will have t-shirts made again in support of Suarez.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought they would as they dealt with him softly last year. I know it would not make any difference, but it would show that they are taking it seriously. Do you not think a fine is an empty gesture?

Due to the money they earn and fines being limited to no more than two weeks wages, yeah, it probably is. The cynic in me would also question the motives for the fine going to the hillsborough trust.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Are we not at risk at overblowing this? Is a bite like that really all that worse than a head but, or a punch, or spitting at an opponent?

He didn't draw blood, did he? He didn't come away with a chunk of flesh in his mouth?

I'm not saying what he did isn't bad,it obviously is, but is it so much worse than any other fighting tactic we see regularly?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Is a bite like that really all that worse than a head but, or a punch, or spitting at an opponent?

He didn't draw blood, did he? He didn't come away with a chunk of flesh in his mouth?

I'm not saying what he did isn't bad,it obviously is, but is it so much worse than any other fighting tactic we see regularly?

Yes.

It really is. It's not the damage it did or how much it would hurt etc etc. It's what it represents. It's not a normal retaliation.

Again, this is not saying punching someone is right. It's not and it should also be a massive ban. But to want to physically BITE someone is just horrendous in my view.

Ivanovic has to be massivly commended for not absolutely lumping him one (and I'm someone who says even pushing on a footy pitch is ridiculous, let alone advocating a player smacking another).

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'm usually a fan of Suarez as he's mentally unhinged but brilliant to watch, but he was at fault this time. 5 match ban I reckon. WHy the OP felt the need to bring Gus into the equation I have no idea. This isn't about Uruguay cultural communication.

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Are we not at risk at overblowing this? Is a bite like that really all that worse than a head but, or a punch, or spitting at an opponent?

I know what you mean and in some respects I agree. Too many people in England gloss over violence as some kind of lad's tomfoolery.

But there is something very odd about going to bite someone. You do raise your hands in a split second when you want to defend yourself. But going to bite someone? Bit unhinged if you ask me.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Ron "Chopper" Harris went lower, he used to bite your legs.

that was Norman Hunter
Ron Harris just took you out

surely the point of Suarez doing this was to get Ivanovic away from him as he was as they all over Suarez like a rash and without Ivanovic all over him he was free to get on with the business of scoring goals
as I said before 10 match ban

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Barton got a 12 game ban from the FA for his moment of madness last season.

Is Suarez's incident worse? I would say yes.

Will the FA give 12 games?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Whatever the ridiculous FA rules are about whether the ref saw it or reported, he should get a very very long ban for this.

View attachment 41879

I agree but doing so will open a can of worms. To me, this is no worse than a high late tackle, or an elbow, or (ahem) trying to trip up a referee... Unless they FA change their (admittedly stupid) rules on this, they can't arbitrarily decide when to park them or not. If the ref has seen it and deems it dealt with, that's it. Case is closed. If he missed it, ban.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Barton got a 12 game ban from the FA for his moment of madness last season.

Is Suarez's incident worse? I would say yes.

Will the FA give 12 games?

Wasn't bartons a totting up of punishments for several infringements in the same moment of madness? (I.e. he got three games for the red card offence, another three for kicking someone, another three for headbutting, etc.) Suarez is just one incident.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Wasn't bartons a totting up of punishments for several infringements in the same moment of madness? (I.e. he got three games for the red card offence, another three for kicking someone, another three for headbutting, etc.) Suarez is just one incident.

Ah perhaps you're right. Fair enough.

I remember Ben Thatcher getting 8 games for his 'attack' on pedro Mendes.

Obviously that was far more effective in HURTING Mendes, but I would say thats the closest one I can think of off the top of my head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here