Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No excuse

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Sorry, you want to use the last 15 minutes of one football match as evidence that the crowd don't effect the team? That's a pretty ridiculous argument, don't you think?

No. This thread was triggered by events yesterday and two goals in the last 15 minutes is pretty good evidence that people leaving before the end did not adversely affect the Albion performance or result yesterday.

You, on the other hand, other nothing except an unsubstantiated assertion that "the crowd clearly do make a difference to the players... it's human nature." Just because the myths about a crowds acting as the '12th man' are regularly trotted out to punters deluded enough to think they affect the outcome of a game once it starts, does not mean they are true.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's deliberately missing the point. It's not a good fan bad fan debate. There are two things I don't understand about leaving early: surely you want to see the whole game and don't you want to lap your team off? So few chances to watch footsie that I hate to miss any of it.

And I do know that some people have to. But some chose to. Their choice but I dont get it.

But it is a good/bad fan debate. The moaners are implying that by leaving early you are not supporting the team for the whole game unlike those uber fans. So you don't get many chances to watch, that's your situation. Others might be season ticket holders who have far to travel and opt to sacrifice a few minutes to drastically reduce their journey time home. Not everyone lives in Btn and can have a beer in the bars and then hop on a train. Plenty drive and use the P&R, no fun staying to drink a cup of tea! It's not hard to understand but there seems to be, every game, someone who thinks this is a major issue.

As for the moronic comparison to leaving a cinema is concerned that some refer to, when was the last time you were at the cinema and everyone stayed till the very end? As far as I am concerned, I never stay and watch the credits!!!!

It doesn't matter what is said, someone will still spot someone leaving early on the 4th May or, dare I say, on the 27th May and the first thing they will think about is starting a thread on it!

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
4y9y8y3e.jpg

Hahaha!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I went to one of those big empty shop "mock auction" scam things in London once. I tried to leave but they had big bouncers on the door not letting anybody out. Maybe that is the way forward perhaps?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I never leave before final whistle and plumply trot down to the station, and always end up on train 2. Seems to work perfectly. The amblers amble without great worry, i would think, whilst those determined to be out and home without trouble shoot off before any battle to get there takes place. And then there's those who go to the matches more for the getting together of mates than what's going on in front of them.
Not everyone needs to be the same, and surely those of us who feel superior for sticking it out for victory or trouncing needn't brag about it. We're surely happiest in a silent smugness, a satisfied smirk rather than an enraged guffaw.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Who cares what other people do? Really? It happens at EVERY SINGLE FOOTBALL STADIUM IN THE COUNTRY. Its time to worry about yourself and what you do. Let it go...

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I also do not understand the mentality of leaving early just to get back to your sofa 40 minutes early. Every time I visit the AMEX I hang around for at least 2 pints after the game, enjoying football related chattery and banter before getting the not so crowded 3rd train.

Although I have only been 3 times and each time was the highlight of my holiday (even when we lost).

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
So far the suggestions on here are. Go to Dicks for an after match drink and relax. Can 23 odd thousand get into Dicks? Then there's the stay for a drink or two after the match and take a gentle stroll down to the train/bus. Again would that not involve 23 odd thousand fans doing it at the same time. There are people that leave early and there are those that go to dicks or stay on concourse for a few drinks and the there are the ones who clap the team off. All of this creates space and time for others to fit in what they want to do. We are all individuals. If everyone stayed, then the threads would be about the congestion after the game and calling for something to be done about it.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can understand a few fans who leave early especially the ones who have to travel long distances but I hope we all stay and cheer the team off after the Wolves game even though we may have 2 to3 more games to play I hope. We travel by coach so we have no problem with staying to the end. Lets make some noise all around the stadium for the Wolves .:albion2: :ascarf::ascarf::O:O

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
New stadium, best Albion team for years, 28,500 gates but still some tedious people have to find something to moan about. Seriously bore off.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Thanks for all your responses, obviously a very touchy subject according to some of the posts, some interesting intelligent, thoughtful, and some downright neanderthal responses.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I always leave spot on the final whistle and it's usually about 30-40 minutes all in to queue and get back to Mill Road via P&R. Saturday for the first time we stayed behind for about 20 minutes to clap them off and have a post match beer and it was probably about the same journey time all-in-all. I have to admit it's probably going to be more of a regular thing next season.

That said, on this particular subject, let it go!! Do we need a "I'm a better fan than those who leave early to I'll start a thread to complain and prove it" threads so often?

It is what it is, everyone has different reasons for leaving when they want and they are unlikely to change because of 2,839,724 threads about it on here.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can you imagine the threads on here when 23k stay behind for a drink or queue to get into Dicks and then those that are moaning about early leavers, leave about 5/10 mins after final whistle once they have applauded everyone off only to find they are at the back of very long queues to a)get into Dicks bar and b) get a drink on the concourse!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here