Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could we survive a mega-Tsunami on BBC2 now...

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
It's ok, we'd survive with just a few cars floating past the pavilion apparently

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I live just off Hanover Hill. I don't give a toss.

You're pretty low on that hill though buddy...25 metre wave would leave you paddling in your living room. I recommend a bug out room in your loft...just in case!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Due to the fact the UK is on a craton we pretty much don't need to worry. Saw an interesting Horizon pro ga few years back which suggested that a big chunk of one of the volcanoes on The Canary Islands will break off and slide in to the Atlantic and, that this will devastate the Eastern seaboard of the USA. We might get a 10 ft wave.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I live on top of a large hill. If it gets me then plenty of people are GOOGLED.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I'll just relocate to the Constant Service then!

Very wise. The greys might be better choice as they keep a bigger supply of crisps. You might be in for a long stay according to this programme.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I reckon it would just go all the way up the a23 and put the burning caravans out.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
All very well laughing about this and hope it never happens but living close to sea level does make you think. This area of the East coast has just respected the 60th anniversary of the tidal surge that claimed over 300 lives in one night, and that was 'only' a couple of metres. Flood sirens are located along the coast here but in practice there isn't much you could do to avoid a tsunami.

There was another TV documentary a year or two ago suggesting a similar tsunami scenario showing the UK at very high risk due to a major landslide in a Norwegian fijord.

I recall being impressed by the warning systems and road signage around the coastline in New Zealand which clearly showed tsunami evacuation routes. All the locals knew to act without delay if tsunami warnings are heard.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Should be ok- got my 25 metre swimming certIfcate at Primary School.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Very wise. The greys might be better choice as they keep a bigger supply of crisps. You might be in for a long stay according to this programme.

Hate to say it but Leigh-on-Sea would be history. We'd have to swim from there to Sahfend looking for a boozer whilst singing GOSBTS at the tops of our voices.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Hate to say it but Leigh-on-Sea would be history. We'd have to swim from there to Sahfend looking for a boozer whilst singing GOSBTS at the tops of our voices.

Proper words mind you...none of that da da da da daaah da nonsense!
:thumbsup:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That mega-tsunami scenario makes me think back to the days of the Cold War when every household was issued with the 'Protect and Survive' leaflet about precautions in the event of a nuclear attack. How to build a shelter in your cellar or understair cupboard, whitewash the windows etc as if that would stave off a doomsday scenario.

Probably best just to crack open another beer and kiss your a**e goodbye.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here