Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Texas explosions

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Prob should of started a seperate thread as didnt want to take anything away from the explosion. No problem with the amount of air time its got.

Just cant help thinking the media brainwash us all into what is and isnt important by what they show. IMO that Iranian earthquake should still be headline news. Cant help thinking they dont like to show the human side of these countries due to future inevitable actions.

Plenty of media on the earthquake if you search , just our outlets largely dont consider it major news

Strange

Very little tv coverage of anti governement protestors in Bahrain in the last couple of days. Apparently there have been thousands out protesting and loads of arrests, The Times had an article about it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Prob should of started a seperate thread as didnt want to take anything away from the explosion. No problem with the amount of air time its got.

Just cant help thinking the media brainwash us all into what is and isnt important by what they show. IMO that Iranian earthquake should still be headline news. Cant help thinking they dont like to show the human side of these countries due to future inevitable actions.

Plenty of media on the earthquake if you search , just our outlets largely dont consider it major news

Strange

i think you overplay it. its down to simplistic editorial priorities, and there was a "bigger" news story. there was an earthquake last year or so in Iran that was given quite a bit of coverage, its not a question of valuing lives, but evalutating interest, possibly an element of fashion too. in the main lunchtime/evening news there's less than half an hour, they pick about half a dozen items from all over the world, so clearly some things are going to be over looked. what i dont understand is why there isnt more effort made on the 24hr channels, once they've gone through the headlines on the hour, spend 45 minutes on other stories and dont repeat them for a couple of hours, that would be a lot better. not watched for long but gather the RT and Jazzera a bit more like that. but then you risk just looking at a load of fringe stories and people turn over. its funny because the advantage of the print and web press is precisly because they will cover many more stories. which back to the start, shows this it isnt about brainwashing, its just how TV media works.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Strange

I think it's very healthy that this kind of question is being discussed. We either care about human tragedy and human beings in general. Or we care about "our kind" more than other people, which I think would be very sad and unhealthy. Ultimately, I think the point you are making is that the ultimate variable in determining this may well be politics, which makes it all the more disheartening.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think it's very healthy that this kind of question is being discussed. We either care about human tragedy and human beings in general. Or we care about "our kind" more than other people, which I think would be very sad and unhealthy. Ultimately, I think the point you are making is that the ultimate variable in determining this may well be politics, which makes it all the more disheartening.

Would certainly be interesting to see how Western news is reported to these countries. I'm sure there is still large bias but like you say , all npretty disheartening when you are dealing with fellow humans.

Its easier to control us when hysteria is whipped up over immigrants and rogue states after all etc. Suprised less people question it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here