Please help support NSC by buying your Christmas presents from Amazon

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Labour closed more mines than the Tories!

Labour closed more mines than the Tories!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Absolutely stunned when I read this in the paper today and have since checked it out and it is indeed true:

Under Harold Wilson (Labour), Number of Mines Closed:290

Under Margaret Thatcher (Conservative), Number of Mines Closed:160

Discuss?

Excellent - but as he was Labour that makes it okay.... oh fickle fickle people.

Rediffusion PlayerofYear Goldstone Rapper's Avatar

Labour closed more mines than the Tories!

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely stunned when I read this in the paper today and have since checked it out and it is indeed true:

Discuss?
    You have to consider how many new pits were opened under each PM for a fuller picture and how many compulsory redundancies.
    Seagulls TV - www.seagulls.tv - the Albion retro site - for videos, profiles, photos, stats
    The Goldstone Wrap - www.thegoldstonewrap.com - the Albion retro blog - for memorabilia and magazine cuttings - a new post every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldstone Rapper View Post
    You have to consider how many new pits were opened under each PM for a fuller picture and how many compulsory redundancies.
    Politics - all about manipulating the stats...... :-)

A. Virgo, Football Genius

or you could present it like this: Wilson the number of miners where reduced from 600k to 300k. I think it was a similar ratio under Thatcher too, but from a lower start (240 or 120? cant recall)
    Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.

Ultimately, the person who brought the mining industry to its knees was Arthur Scargill. You can blame Thatcher as much as you like but his action in dividing the union and splitting the support was fatal.
    Ego-centric and power crazy, he was his own worst enemy.

All-Time Best Defence stripeyshark's Avatar

272 reduction in the Labour governments. (27 per year)

208 reduction in the Conservative governments. (12 per year)
    INCLUDING
    154 reduction under Thatcher (14 per year)

#cpfctinpotclub seagullsovergrimsby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post

Discuss?
    Needs a breakdown of the figures. How many pits closed because the coal seams were exhausted or had flooding/geological problems ?
    Response to a post by SeasideEagle on BBS - "Are you another account belonging to cpfc2010? You seem to be spouting the same bullshit."

Another ridiculous myth about Thatcher quelled.

Like the one about the NHS cuts. Thatcher spent more on the NHS than Labour had done. FACT.

But the looney lefties just want someone to blame for their own failures.

Left wing politics never works. It's ideolistic baloney.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Gosfield View Post
    Ultimately, the person who brought the mining industry to its knees was Arthur Scargill. You can blame Thatcher as much as you like but his action in dividing the union and splitting the support was fatal.
    So nothing to do with Thatcher appointing McGregor as Chairman of the NCB after his hatchet jobs at British Leyland and British Steel ?
    Response to a post by SeasideEagle on BBS - "Are you another account belonging to cpfc2010? You seem to be spouting the same bullshit."

( . ) ( . )
    Struggling for breath at the top of the stairs

True story this:

My father was a coal merchant in the early eighties and the miners strike nearly took his company under. He made inquiries when there was NO coal left to buy or sell to Germany and guess what? They found they could import superior quality coal from the continent for half the price including transportation.

Hate her as much as you like, the miners shot themselves in the foot.
    I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own,

Quote Originally Posted by Hillian1 View Post
    True story this:

My father was a coal merchant in the early eighties and the miners strike nearly took his company under. He made inquiries when there was NO coal left to buy or sell to Germany and guess what? They found they could import superior quality coal from the continent for half the price including transportation.

Hate her as much as you like, the miners shot themselves in the foot.
    Polish coal was imported before and during the strike because it was cheaper due to Polish state subsidies and their miners only earning 15% to 20% of their British counterparts. How do you think the NCB amassed a stockpile before the strike began ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Gosfield View Post
    This.

In the early 1980's I worked in an office with a lady in her mid 60's and at the time there was footage of 'King Arthur' addressing a conference in an animated fashion, she said then it was the closest thing to Hitler at Nuremburg that she'd ever seen.

WE ALL, either left, right or middle of the road should be eternally grateful for Thatcher for stopping Scargill, because had he won their conflict I dread to think what state this country would be in today.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Rider View Post
    This.

In the early 1980's I worked in an office with a lady in her mid 60's and at the time there was footage of 'King Arthur' addressing a conference in an animated fashion, she said then it was the closest thing to Hitler at Nuremburg that she'd ever seen.

WE ALL, either left, right or middle of the road should be eternally grateful for Thatcher for stopping Scargill, because had he won their conflict I dread to think what state this country would be in today.
    Arr yes, Arthur Scargill, the man who lived in a small house and got the job of running a big Union. By the time he had finished he was running a small Union but lived in a big house.

Apparently though it is only the Tories who are motivated by self interest and are incompetent.
    F U N E M N X ?

A. Virgo, Football Genius

Quote Originally Posted by seagullsovergrimsby View Post
    Needs a breakdown of the figures. How many pits closed because the coal seams were exhausted or had flooding/geological problems ?
    and the economic viablity maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillian1 View Post
    this is essantial what the whole matter was about*. coal mining in UK had been barely to non-economical for decades with a lack of investment in mechanisation of already expensive to run deep cast mines (due to both miners unions resistance and owners luctance to pay for it). coal was cheaper to bring from open cast mines in Australia so im told. (*acknowledge there was a ideological objective to break the miners union, though as a result of decades of problems not for the sake of it).

a funny aside that relates, recall all the uproar to selling off the government owned forests a couple of years back? far from the ancient woodlands or oak, ash and chestnut etc imagined, the vast majority of the state owned stock is pine. it was planted around the turn of the centruy to provide wood for shoring up the mines, as there was a serious concern we'd run out of wood for the purpose.
    Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.