Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich losses for 2012 £16m, £79m in debt.....

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
He sold it. They now pay 40k a season to use it.

He sold it to himself for 1.5m. To give the club 1.5m in the short term. They're also doing 3 year season tickets, paid up front. All too boost the coffers for FFP.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Whilst I'm not going to say the situation at Ipswich is good I think people are going a bit OTT. The majority of their debt is owed to Marcus Evans, the chairman, just like ours is to Tony Bloom.

It would be easy for an opposition fans to say, crikey, how many years will it take Brighton to pay off £140m, they don't know the full facts. I suspect we don't either, will Evans be wanting all that money back? I doubt it, he must be smart enough to realise what it's like running a football club.

Red'n'Blue

Jan 6, 2011
He sold it to himself for 1.5m. To give the club 1.5m in the short term. They're also doing 3 year season tickets, paid up front. All too boost the coffers for FFP.

It was his group that bought it for just over a million I think. So effectively the club are paying Evans 40k per season.

Ah, i knew it had been sold, didn't realise who to.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They have not all benefitted though.
So? They don't all need to have benefit to make the argument that it shouldn't be used to benefit the club a valid one. The fact that a club like Leicester can spend £60m on a new ground, and then write off the debt via administration and carry on, is just crazy.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
So? They don't all need to have benefit to make the argument that it shouldn't be used to benefit the club a valid one. The fact that a club like Leicester can spend £60m on a new ground, and then write off the debt via administration and carry on, is just crazy.

That was the original and the worst one... at least clubs are now hit with points penalties. The Leeds one was pretty bad, as it seemingly involved Bates clearing the debt and then getting his hands on the club again debt free.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That was the original and the worst one... at least clubs are now hit with points penalties. The Leeds one was pretty bad, as it seemingly involved Bates clearing the debt and then getting his hands on the club again debt free.

......and then claiming he didn't know who the club owners were, until realising it was himself, must have been a senior moment.

It is very difficult to legislate for the likes of Bates, they make their money by identifying and exploiting loopholes, and bully and belittle anyone who stands up to them.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares

Surely they'd have to defer the revenue relating to future years so that kind of behaviour wouldn't help FFP? It would however increase cash flow so keep creditors off their back in the short term.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What's even more astounding is the original business model for The Amex during the campaign years.

Dick Knight and Martin Perry played an absolute blinder in getting us planning permission. Only needed attendances of 12,500 to break even. DK-the master of spin during our troubled period.

Agreed.

For me though, the act of total genius was managing to build a 30,000 seat stadium under the guise of a 22,500 seat stadium without anyone actually noticing. The devil himself couldn't have pulled that one off, Peryy, Knight and Bloom did :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here