Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet frustrated by loan striker search from Argus paper

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Am I the only one that would actually rather Barker (or even Toby) come on for the last 20 minutes, rather than some loanee that doesn't know the club, and our style of play? Reports of Barkers short run out in the week where along the lines of "lots of energy", "looked hungry", and had a decent effort. I imagine he'd be PUMPED to come on against Palace. Sure he's not a World beater, but then neither would the loanee, otherwise they'd be playing for their own club.

That would be fine as long as Ulloa starts all the games, as i think he would do a good job, but i am not sure Barker is ready to play up top on his own for 90 mins?

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
1) We don't know that he is not prepared to take a gamble. We know from that article that he is being frustrated by strikers not wanting to leave the subs' bench at their current clubs. That's a different issue to him not being prepared to take a punt on someone.

2) It's not Gus' money that we would be gambling, if we were to sign somebody, it's TB's.
okay mate

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Crystal.

My apologies if you feel offering an alternative, more positive outlook is 'putting posters down'.

Indeed he is, and I'm entitled to mine. I've never said he isn't.

I apologise as well for getting so wound up.

The frustration of this end of season is getting to me more than ever before, although I truely am looking forward to Sunday, and the AMEX sponsorship news is a massive positive.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
That would be fine as long as Ulloa starts all the games, as i think he would do a good job, but i am not sure Barker is ready to play up top on his own for 90 mins?

No. I am talking about Palace Sunday. After the Palace game we have 2 weeks until we play again. We'll have got someone in on loan by then, with time not to be thrown in at the deep end.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Can people please stop quoting Pork Pie, he's on my ignore list for a reason. He's clueless.

Ideally we'll find a loan striker that's happy as a backup. If we can't then we can't. We have goals in our midfield and we'll need a few players to really step up to the plate.

A handful of games left with three crucial match-ups. If we win the big ones they really are 'six pointers'.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
No. I am talking about Palace Sunday. After the Palace game we have 2 weeks until we play again. We'll have got someone in on loan by then, with time not to be thrown in at the deep end.

Then yes that would do just fine, I too would rather give some of the DS squad a chance. Also like you said we do have other options in David, Vicente, Buckley, Lua Lua, Orlandi to get us goals. I am staying calm.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i missed this bit off the report from the argus
Poyet has give no guarantees that another forward will be signed before the loan window closes towards the end of the month.

"It depends what you want," he said. "If we are going to attempt to reach the play-offs we need a player that costs money we don't have and the quality of player that we want to bring being willing to come, so it's not just get a player from the Conference because we need a striker and pray that he is going to be fantastic.

"I prefer to trust George Barker and Toby (Agdestein) and Solly March and the players that we have got here than to bring someone who for me is not good enough."

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Crystal.

My apologies if you feel offering an alternative, more positive outlook is 'putting posters down'.

Indeed he is, and I'm entitled to mine. I've never said he isn't.

And I never said you said you weren't entitled to yours...just seemed an argument going no where lol...carry on :)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

"It depends what you want," he said. "If we are going to attempt to reach the play-offs we need a player that costs money we don't have and the quality of player that we want to bring being willing to come, so it's not just get a player from the Conference because we need a striker and pray that he is going to be fantastic.

"I prefer to trust George Barker and Toby (Agdestein) and Solly March and the players that we have got here than to bring someone who for me is not good enough."

All sensible from Gus.

It's a shame he feels the need to explain it so simplistically for some...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I apologise as well for getting so wound up.

The frustration of this end of season is getting to me more than ever before, although I truely am looking forward to Sunday, and the AMEX sponsorship news is a massive positive.

All the while we see general improvement (and at present I see a team often taking two steps forward, one step back), we're on the right road. We're still in line for our best finish in 22 seasons and our highest average attendance EVER in our 112-year history.

There seems to be a certain impatience with some - not necessarily yourself - that it's this team which will get us up because of X, Y and Z reasons. Personally, I'm not expecting promotion this season, and I don't think we'll get it, though I do feel missing the play-offs will be a relative failure. If it doesn't happen this season - and the fight is definitely not over - there will not be one person at the club striving like a mad-man doubling and tripling their efforts for glory and success.

I also believe that people wouldn't be half as pessimistic this weekend if it wasn't - of all people - bloody Palace we were playing. For me, the build-up is more about a one-off, rather than the season as a whole.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
i missed this bit off the report from the argus
Poyet has give no guarantees that another forward will be signed before the loan window closes towards the end of the month.

Quite right from Gus. Nail. On. The. Head.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
we need to shoot more and not try and score the perfect goal by walking it in the goal and shoot more

This is probably my only gripe with the season so far.
We get it to the 18 yard line, a big target straight in front, and then feed it out to the wings and corner flags to play about with and cross it in for a 50/50 ball!
Take the shot!

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
This is probably my only gripe with the season so far.
We get it to the 18 yard line, a big target straight in front, and then feed it out to the wings and corner flags to play about with and cross it in for a 50/50 ball!
Take the shot!
i just wished we shoot more then we do

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All the while we see general improvement (and at present I see a team often taking two steps forward, one step back), we're on the right road. We're still in line for our best finish in 22 seasons and our highest average attendance EVER in our 112-year history.

There seems to be a certain impatience with some - not necessarily yourself - that it's this team which will get us up because of X, Y and Z reasons. Personally, I'm not expecting promotion this season, and I don't think we'll get it, though I do feel missing the play-offs will be a relative failure. If it doesn't happen this season - and the fight is definitely not over - there will not be one person at the club striving like a mad-man doubling and tripling their efforts for glory and success.

I also believe that people wouldn't be half as pessimistic this weekend if it wasn't - of all people - bloody Palace we were playing. For me, the build-up is more about a one-off, rather than the season as a whole.

Good post. Has given me something to think about.

Yes, if it were anyone other than Palace, things may be a little different. It doesn't help we've got Forest away as the following fixture, but the International break is well timed, so we can pick ourselves up if we need to.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When does the loan window close as I thought it was next Thursday but I could well be wrong and it could be the week after. Either way I think it is before our game following on from Palace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here