Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The New Bedroom Tax

But why should they go into a 1 bedroom place?

It seems to me that it depends upon what we view as the purpose of social housing. If it's provided as a starting point for all families (who can then aspire to buy either that or a different home of their own subsequently) then there is clearly a massive underprovision, but under this assumption I can understand people staying in, or being given, a house of suitable size for their need in as many circumstances as possible. However, if it's viewed as the 'last resort', a safety net for those that are unable to provide (for whatever reason) their own housing, then under that provision for me there shouldn't be choice - social housing may not completely meet the desire of tenants but it will provide (likely relatively low-quality) housing stock for those that really need it, without the assurances or comforts that providing your own housing brings.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It seems to me that it depends upon what we view as the purpose of social housing. If it's provided as a starting point for all families (who can then aspire to buy either that or a different home of their own subsequently) then there is clearly a massive underprovision, but under this assumption I can understand people staying in, or being given, a house of suitable size for their need in as many circumstances as possible. However, if it's viewed as the 'last resort', a safety net for those that are unable to provide (for whatever reason) their own housing, then under that provision for me there shouldn't be choice - social housing may not completely meet the desire of tenants but it will provide (likely relatively low-quality) housing stock for those that really need it, without the assurances or comforts that providing your own housing brings.

IMHO it should be the later.

IMHO it should be the later.

I agree. In which case the rules need to be tightened up. The problem, however, is that a lack of suitable social housing stock makes the market for this housing completely illiquid, i.e. there isn't sufficient capacity for all 2 adult families living in 4 bedroom houses to be moved to be moved (easily) into appropriate accommodation. The reduction in housing benefit paid to those living in 'inappropriate' housing is completely the wrong way of going about the policy, given the lack of supply. The first policy needs to be a massive investment programme to re-build our stock of social housing across the country.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
This affects the disabled very badly and there are some horrible cases from where I work:
Man who is very ill - coughs at night until he vomits - wife has to sleep in the spare bedroom (must be a number of these)

Family whose small daughter recently died of cancer - her bedroom suddenly seen as "spare" so they have to move

This affects the disabled very badly and there are some horrible cases from where I work:
Man who is very ill - coughs at night until he vomits - wife has to sleep in the spare bedroom (must be a number of these)

Family whose small daughter recently died of cancer - her bedroom suddenly seen as "spare" so they have to move

Which all looks great on the Tories books but in real life is an absolute disaster. My neighbour has been on the housing list for years waiting for a smaller place to be become available but of course these places are just not there as housing is running to capacity!
We still do not know what our rent is going to be for the next year. We have 2 disabled people here with 1 approaching retirement age. We have a "spare" room which classes as a single child's bedroom as it's under 70 sq ft. Also received a letter from the council which is virtually identical to an earlier letter but still doesn't tell us what we will be paying.
It's as clear as mud really.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which all looks great on the Tories books but in real life is an absolute disaster. My neighbour has been on the housing list for years waiting for a smaller place to be become available but of course these places are just not there as housing is running to capacity!
We still do not know what our rent is going to be for the next year. We have 2 disabled people here with 1 approaching retirement age. We have a "spare" room which classes as a single child's bedroom as it's under 70 sq ft. Also received a letter from the council which is virtually identical to an earlier letter but still doesn't tell us what we will be paying.

Are you and partner of pension age if so it wont affect you.

Are you and partner of pension age if so it wont affect you.

Would be pension age this year if they hadn't moved that particular goalpost.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

It is worth pointing out that each Council has been given considerable funds to help out with many of the scenario's being quoted. Obviously each Council can do its own thing but i have been working with a lot recently regarding this discretionary pot they have been given and they all will be helping out tenants who have agreed to down size but are on a waiting list, likewise they will help the families with disabled children etc. If anyone is interested speak to your local council and ask for a 'discretionary housing payment'. Council's have to give the money back if they don't use it so they will be giving it out.

It is worth pointing out that each Council has been given considerable funds to help out with many of the scenario's being quoted. Obviously each Council can do its own thing but i have been working with a lot recently regarding this discretionary pot they have been given and they all will be helping out tenants who have agreed to down size but are on a waiting list, likewise they will help the families with disabled children etc. If anyone is interested speak to your local council and ask for a 'discretionary housing payment'. Council's have to give the money back if they don't use it so they will be giving it out.

This is very true and by what the letter says, it looks like disabled people will be exempt but we'll wait for the confirmation letter and go from there.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
It has been discovered that the DWP made a cock up with the regs for this and a loophole has been found. The regs will be amended ASAP but can't be made retrospective, so the loophole will remain until the regs are passed through parliament.

In summary, if you have been resident in the same property since 1st April 1996 or before AND have been receiving Housing Benefit with no breaks since 1st April 1996, then the bedroom tax doesn't apply to you. Your HB will be repaid to you back to 1st April 2013 and you shouldn't have to apply for this.

You might think that only a handful of claimants would be affected by this but the estimates are somewhere between 20k & 40k are affected, depending who you believe. If anyone is affected by this or knows anyone affected, they should contact their local council ASAP to get their benefit repaid.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It has been discovered that the DWP made a cock up with the regs for this and a loophole has been found. The regs will be amended ASAP but can't be made retrospective, so the loophole will remain until the regs are passed through parliament.

In summary, if you have been resident in the same property since 1st April 1996 or before AND have been receiving Housing Benefit with no breaks since 1st April 1996, then the bedroom tax doesn't apply to you. Your HB will be repaid to you back to 1st April 2013 and you shouldn't have to apply for this.

You might think that only a handful of claimants would be affected by this but the estimates are somewhere between 20k & 40k are affected, depending who you believe. If anyone is affected by this or knows anyone affected, they should contact their local council ASAP to get their benefit repaid.

Will they resurrect the people that killed themselves over this ?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Will they resurrect the people that killed themselves over this ?

There is one case where an elderly lady committed suicide and in her 'note' she blamed all the welfare cuts including the bedroom tax. I'm sure certain people will save that case for a rainy day!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Have all the people that drafted this, as well as those that signed it off at all levels, been sacked?

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
I'm sure that it is perfectly reasonable for 1 person to occupy a 3 bed council house, can't see what the problem is :tosser:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm sure that it is perfectly reasonable for 1 person to occupy a 3 bed council house, can't see what the problem is :tosser:

Easy to say in principle (to gain attention) but very hard to resolve in practice.

You should apply to be a Tory MP.

Before I go all Guardian Reader on you, due to it's scarcity I'm not convinced that people on 6 figure salaries should be in social housing as an ex neighbour of mine apparently once was.

Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
My Son was lucky enough to be able to move from his fairly modern and well situated 2 b/r maisonette, in Brighton, just over 6 months ago.

It remains empty.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Talking to a friend who works for a sussex council and he said they have noticed a significant reduction in the number of teenagers being thrown out of the family home because parents don't want to pay the bedroom tax.Legislation works in mysterious ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here