Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Considering not renewing season ticket

rool

Jul 10, 2003
If it's the spending a £100 a match that's the problem then cut back, stop drinking 10 beers on the day, or eating 10 pies or whatever your doing to spend £100 each match day because that's crazy.

Train must cost you, what £15 return max, ticket price about £20 with a season ticket so about £40 to see the game, where's the extra £60 going?

I travel from London and return fare to Haywards Heath is usually about £10 and my North Stand ST works out about £17 a game. Large pre match breakfast in Wetherspoons in £4.19 (which usually means I don't need to eat again that day) and 2-3 pints, so all in all approximately £45 for the day.
£100 is a large spend, I have to say.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I do have a railcard but there is no point just going for the game, it has to role into seeing the family etc to make it worthwhile coming down in the first place. That's the dilemma really. Football is part of the problem as it's getting more expensive.

Off peak open day return is £20-60, and that's the standard walk up price - you could get it cheaper if you planned ahead.

Is it just me that smells something fishy about the OP's post?

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
I do have a railcard but there is no point just going for the game, it has to role into seeing the family etc to make it worthwhile coming down in the first place. That's the dilemma really. Football is part of the problem as it's getting more expensive.

Wow, I'm amazed you can live away from your family, that if you miss them so much you have to plan a weekend to include visiting them, perhaps you should do what a lot of people do and live locally and do this crazy thing called commuting.

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
Utter rubbish. I travel from London and the train is £20.60 return to Haywards Heath from where your Season Ticket gets you to the ground.

Not rubbish, this return is the one that means you can come back within the month (or next day as I do). As mentioned earlier, my life doesn't just revolve around a football game, it is a social thing as well. Maybe for some people it does and that's where the confusion would occur. I know I'm not the only one in this predicament as 4 of my friends are as well and no doubt others out there. My question was more about the reality of football and how it's costing people out the game. I know my finances and it's becoming more difficult is all.

As mentioned earlier, I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
smug alert, he's got a valid point, the pricing is just too over the top for a lot of people. not everyone's made of money :whistle:
regards
DR

Not smug, it's just that I don't have the rail fare that he does to get to the ground. If I did then it would be different. Obviously.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Don't have to eat at the ground either, just fill up before you leave.

Sounds like (from the suggestions on this thread) that you could almost halve your matchday costs. As mentioned, it's a question of priorities, only you can answer that.

It isn't cheap however, you are right but it's not particular to B&HA and clubs have to establish a balance between matchday costs for fans and revenue required. Charge too little and they're missing out on revenue, charge too much and you price people out and lose revenue.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not rubbish, this return is the one that means you can come back within the month (or next day as I do). As mentioned earlier, my life doesn't just revolve around a football game, it is a social thing as well. Maybe for some people it does and that's where the confusion would occur. I know I'm not the only one in this predicament as 4 of my friends are as well and no doubt others out there. My question was more about the reality of football and how it's costing people out the game. I know my finances and it's becoming more difficult is all.

All 4 of your friends have to stay overnight with their families every single home game, as well as you? It would work out cheaper if all 5 of you came in one car, went to a P&R, then dropped off at various family homes to meet again on Sunday returning to London.

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
All fair points, and a lol on the pie comment! I'll have a look at the planning ahead with the rail vibe and see if that helps. Still though, I wonder what the uptake will be for tickets for next season?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Even open (1 month) return to Brighton is only £32. And the cost of you visiting family over a weekend is hardly the fault of Barber.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I just logged into National Rail enquiries and used Sunday to find prices and Victoria to Haywards Heath cheapest return is £17.50 but standard is £20 without any rail cards etc.

I'm going from Blackfriars for £10.50. FCC as rickety and sometimes charmless as they are the bargain trains.

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove
I live in london and the cost of going to games is pretty high on top of the social element of beers etc.It's easily £100 a match. Myself and my 4 mates are thinking of not renewing for next year as it all seems too costly these days to go to see your team. My friends and I are big fans so there is no 'JCL' vibes here. Couldn't wait for the AMEX to get built but in a recession it is proving too difficult to maintain going.

Just wondering, is anyone else having the same feelings on this matter? And if so, are the club over estimating their customers/fans uptake for next season?

This is also a stark reality that football has become a monster and needs to be tamed...
Three of us not renewing:(

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
Even open (1 month) return to Brighton is only £32. And the cost of you visiting family over a weekend is hardly the fault of Barber.

The mistake here not doubt is you're selecting victoria to brighton. I live in north west london and my family are based in seaford. My friends come from Kent and london

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
I live in South London, drive down to Hassocks, costs about £15 in fuel, there and back, between me and my Dad. Then travel with the season ticket from there on. Don't buy anything at the ground other than a programme. We're still finding it highly cost-effective tbh.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Utter rubbish. I travel from London and the train is £20.60 return to Haywards Heath from where your Season Ticket gets you to the ground.

Exactly this... its even cheaper if you manage to get the FCC trains. £13ish return to Haywards Heath.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The mistake here not doubt is you're selecting victoria to brighton. I live in north west london and my family are based in seaford. My friends come from Kent and london

That's fair enough; I can see how it could add up to £40 if you don't buy an advance fair. However, you seem to be blaming the cost of your season ticket as the reason for spending £100 in a weekend, which is odd considering it's only around £20 a game.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009

Your mistake is not buying 2 singles with a rail card.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
So renew & go to every other game (sell or give away others) & on your numbers it will cost you 12 x £120 = £1440 rather than £2300 this year...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here