Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] Allbrighton Thanks Albion

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion are delighted to confirm that West Stand lower season-ticket holder Terry Albrighton is making a good recovery following his cardiac arrest at the Amex Stadium last Saturday.
Terry, 65, was taken ill after the Hull City match but thanks to the quick actions of the club’s stewards, the St John Ambulance volunteers and the Albion paramedic and medical team, he received cardiopulmonary resuscitation [CPR] on the spot and was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital.
Terry is now back at his home in Peacehaven and he would like to place on record his sincere thanks to all who helped saved his life.
He said, “If it wasn’t for the medical team present at the Amex and the defibrillator equipment available, the outcome could have been very different.
“I realise how lucky I am and I would like to place on record my thanks and appreciation to all the people who helped me, and to the people who have sent in messages of goodwill to the club.
“I have been to more nail-biting Albion games, I have to say, so this cardiac arrest came completely out of the blue. I remember walking out a couple of minutes before the final whistle, to get the coach back to Rottingdean, and I’ve apparently collapsed near the away entrance.
“I have no recollection of it happening but it’s comforting to know, especially for fans in their advancing years, that there are such good medical equipment and facilities available at the stadium. If I’d suffered an arrest at home, again it could have been a completely different outcome.
“I just want to get back to watching the Albion as soon as I can, especially with the team so near to the play-offs.”
This is the second cardiac arrest to have happened at the Amex Stadium since it opened in 2011 and on both occasions, the men involved have survived without any ill-effects.
Nationally, the survival rate for a cardiac arrest is less than five per cent, but due to the advanced medical facilities and professional personnel at the Amex Stadium, both men thankfully beat the odds.
Rob Galloway, A&E consultant and crowd doctor at the Amex, added, “This is not just due to luck. We have a set up deliberately planned to deal with these eventualities. This starts with a highly trained stewarding team, who are there to deal with the supporters’ welfare as well as recognise medical emergencies.
“The St John Ambulance team are amazing. They selfishly give up their free time to train in managing medical emergencies and then attend the matches to be there for when they are needed. Additionally, for each match we have three paramedics from South East Ambulance Service and a Consultant in Emergency Medicine form the Royal Sussex County Hospital.
“The stadium has also four first aid rooms including one with the high specification equipment designed to deal with every eventuality. The Sussex Heart Charity have also been involved in donating automated external defibrillators to the stadium."
Everyone at the club wishes Terry all the best with his recovery and we look forward to seeing him back at the Amex Stadium soon.
If you would like to learn how to perform CPR and go on a first aid course, then visit British Heart Foundation - Home
or St John Ambulance - The difference between a life lost and a life saved
If you would like to get involved with St John Ambulance or donate please visit their website St John Ambulance - The difference between a life lost and a life saved
or the Sussex heart charity at Sussex Heart Charity | Heart Charities | Supporting Heart Care in our community.

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here