Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Croydon councillor wants to change Gatwick to "London Croydon" airport

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
To be fair Crawley is very much like Croydon ! Anyway, I'll support the idea if it means it's no longer the responsibility of Sussex Police to police the airport thus bringing down our council tax.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Gatwick is in West Sussex anyway, so what claim do Croydon have to it?

If it was in Croydon and they renamed it 'Croydon Airport', surely they'd have to rename Heathrow Airport to 'Hillingdon Airport'? ???

Stupid idea even if Croydon wasn't involved!

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
Anyway, I'll support the idea if it means it's no longer the responsibility of Sussex Police to police the airport thus bringing down our council tax.

From what I remember, almost all of the costs for policing the airport are funded by Gatwick Airport Ltd

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Croydon did have its own airport once upon a time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But he added: "You go to cities where there are airports that aren’t in the town itself, they are just outside. So it doesn’t have to be slap-bang in the middle of London to be a London Airport. Stansted is London Stansted so let’s have London Croydon.
Eh? Gatwick is London Gatwick. You know, LGW :facepalm:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Lydd is known as London Ashford. It's all stupidity.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To be fair Crawley is very much like Croydon ! Anyway, I'll support the idea if it means it's no longer the responsibility of Sussex Police to police the airport thus bringing down our council tax.

Well it isn't called London Crawley either. Gatwick keeps it quite independent of moronic councillors in nearby cities whether they be to the north or south.

I think this is a great idea! Just think, the airport will be at best half full most of the time. The downsides are that half of the airport will be boarded up so you can't buy anything.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
People landing in London Gatwick must be confused as it is. It's about as London as the South Downs are.

Croydon, perhaps unfairly has a poor reputation, and I can't see the airport going for it.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
f*** croydon and f*** London.

Sussex International Airport.

London has and croydon had Airports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here