Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: How ANNOYING is Windows 8?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I hate Windows 8 and still can't find out how you can make it revert back to Win 7 - its utterly illogical and the key areas you want to find My Comp, Documents and Contral panal are hidden away...and as for those useless intrusive side bars......even worse than XP IMHO..avoid at all costs

try searching-Downgrade windows 8 to windows 7 see what result come up

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I hate Windows 8 and still can't find out how you can make it revert back to Win 7 - its utterly illogical and the key areas you want to find My Comp, Documents and Contral panal are hidden away...and as for those useless intrusive side bars......even worse than XP IMHO..avoid at all costs

Download Pokki - gives you back the start menu, bypasses the home screen at startup. and the sidebars, try turning them off??
Am running the above and its fine

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
If your missing the start menu from windows 7 (which is something I just can't do without and believe me I've tried!) then install start 8.
This small program basically gives you back the start button and access to all your files/settings etc in the traditional way and you still have the tile system (metro).
Quite cheap aswel just over 3 quid with a free trial.
Start8 8 - Bringing back the Windows Start menu
Personally I still prefer Mac OSX but that's another thread!

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
I use Windows 8 and find it no problem at all. I very rarely use the tiled start screen as I have all I need on the desktop.

At first it was quite difficult to get used to but after a while its not to bad.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Have to say I find 8 the best version so far, although it is more for tablets with the layout, I find everything runs at about 15% faster on my system. Also all games I play have also had a 20% frame rate increase with my quad sli setup.

Over all I would never go back to the other versions.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Made the schoolboy error of replacing my 10 year old PC last weekend. Checked the spec, that effortlessly surpassed anything I've had for home use before. Which admittedly wouldn't be all that difficult. Barely paid attention to the blurb that it had Windows 8 pre-installed.

Schoolboy error as it turns out. Windows 8 is seriously shit. Did a quick Google and my fears were confirmed: ' MIT professor Philip Greenspun handed Windows 8 one of its most damning reviews yet earlier this week, calling the new operating system a “Christmas gift for someone you hate.” Greenspun panned almost every aspect of Microsoft’s new software, noting that Microsoft had four years to study Android and more than five to examine iOS, but still couldn’t build a usable tablet experience.... “Suppose that you are an expert user of Windows NT/XP/Vista/7, an expert user of an iPad, and an expert user of an Android phone… you will have no idea how to use Windows 8,” Greenspun wrote.

And he's 100% correct. The thing is ridiculous. Serious question: would my wizzy new PC - Intel Inside! - continue to work if I installed Windows XP over the top of Windows 8? Or should I just try turning it off and on again? Or hitting it with a hammer? Well? ???

If you have 2 hdd's you could always install another version of windows on that, then when you boot up you will be asked which version you want to load (which is also known as a dual boot system)

The other option is to put your preferred version of windows in the cd drive then restart your pc, wait for the message hit and key to continue windows install, enter the install process, you will then need to delete the current partition, make a new partition then install the new version of windows. Job done.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Get ahold of a copy of Windows 7 one way or another, stick the disc in your CD drive and install. Windows 8 is a load of shite.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Here is the best answer for you. Throw the PC away and go buy a MAC, simples.

Wouldn't touch a mac if it was the only option on the market. Total shite unless you into graphics or music.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Wouldn't touch a mac if it was the only option on the market. Total shite unless you into graphics or music.

Or web design or browsing the Internet or video editing or word processing.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It's not any better then, people are just under the impression it is. Aesthetics aside just about the only thing Macs have going for them is some decent bundled software, but that's about it.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not any better then, people are just under the impression it is. Aesthetics aside just about the only thing Macs have going for them is some decent bundled software, but that's about it.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Is there any way of getting rid of the stupid sidebar and giant clock that pop up if I deign to move my cursor somewhere it doesn't like?

I had Vista once and had the same thing - I can't remember how exactly but it's not impossible. If right-clicking the clock doesn't help, it'll be in settings somewhere. Sorry to be unhelpful.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

And less susceptibility to viruses, more intuitive user interface and the ability to run both OS X and Windows.

I use Windows 8 and find it no problem at all. I very rarely use the tiled start screen as I have all I need on the desktop.

At first it was quite difficult to get used to but after a while its not to bad.

Same here - ignore all the tile stuff and just have my desktop like I used to with Vista. Find "windows C" far simpler than faffing around trying to get the "charms" up at the side to access stuff like settings, control panel and the like. Cannot see the point of a touch screen on a PC - I don't want my nice screen forever being tainted by grubby fingerprints just because the a**e who designed it thought it would be cool - if I had wanted a tablet I would have bought one.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
bought my daughter a laptop for xmas wih windows 8 = she wont use it! having tried it out, i cant say i blame her. its shite.

- - - Updated - - -

bought my daughter a laptop for xmas wih windows 8 = she wont use it! having tried it out, i cant say i blame her. its shite.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you have 2 hdd's you could always install another version of windows on that, then when you boot up you will be asked which version you want to load (which is also known as a dual boot system)

The other option is to put your preferred version of windows in the cd drive then restart your pc, wait for the message hit and key to continue windows install, enter the install process, you will then need to delete the current partition, make a new partition then install the new version of windows. Job done.

I'm liking your thinking! :thumbsup:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
And less susceptibility to viruses, more intuitive user interface and the ability to run both OS X and Windows.

More intuitive user interface is simply a matter of taste and what you're used to, coming from a background of Windows I now use a MBP, I found the transition difficult and still prefer the Windows environment for productivity.

As per usual with the Apple sheep you mess up a couple of valid points like the fact there are many fewer viruses for the platform (not that the platform is actually less susceptible, if anything it is MORE susceptible), by adding in some nonsense like it's better for browsing the web. The majority of browser use on OSX is via Chrome, google's web browser so how does being on OSX make this easier prey-tell? Safari is a terrible browser.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here