Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Water ...metered bills.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We've just had our first report from Southern Water telling us what our 6 monthly bill is likely to be after our first 3 months on a meter. Over 45 % higher than we were paying. What have others found once they have gone over to meters ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Shit - I was hoping ours would go down. How many of you in the house ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Shit - I was hoping ours would go down. How many of you in the house ?

Well there was 4 but we have inherited 2 more for the next 6 months or so it seems but they,ve only been here a couple of weeks so I guess it's going to get worse. Better drink my Scotch neat then to conserve the H2O. Still seems an unfair increase though.

- - - Updated - - -

Large families are the losers with the compulsory meters, so I'm assuming you're one of them.

I suppose you better look at ways to reduce your bill, I would advise that the first place to consider is your toilet. Old style toilets can use up to 5 gallons per flush, even modern ones use 1.5 - 2 gallons. Do it 10 times a day and you're looking at a lot of water usage...

We have a very small capacity system that can hardly deal with the smallest of nuggets as it is.

aliakbanrafsanjali

Dec 29, 2012
We will be slightly better off! 36 quid! 3 people are in our house, but come the summer when I will be tending the garden it will change. As soon as the meter went in we all tried to be more careful, but it is difficult, what do you stop doing?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Mine went up by fuckloads. I live alone.

Very odd, similar situ, but mine has gone down massively since I have gone on a meter, well over 50%.

I saw an earlier thread in this about flushing the toilet as wasting water, this is true. In some literature that the water company sent me they sent me what is called a water hippo, it is supposed to save water when you flush (I think not all the water flushes through using this device, however, you when you flush, you see no difference).

I put it on inside the cistern and it took me less than 30 seconds to install, so simple. I have not the slighest doubt it has saved me quite a bit of dosh (well my bills are so much lower) and if anyone asks their water company to provide them one they may send it for free, as they try to push these things, as they obviously want to save water too.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Maybe you have a leak somewhere? Very odd.

Well I'm going have a leak somewhere. Probably in the back garden at those water prices.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We've got 4 of us in the house, with 4 toilets & 3 showers.

Our usage was the equivalent of a 1 bed flat with a garden, so our payments have decreased a lot :)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We've got 4 of us in the house, with 4 toilets & 3 showers.

Our usage was the equivalent of a 1 bed flat with a garden, so our payments have decreased a lot :)

You can have 20 toilets in your house but it doesn't up water consumption does it ?

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Avoid meters until you have to, we opted for one (great advice from some clown) and my monthly bill is now £72! You'd think I live in the Prince Regent!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
We've just had our first report from Southern Water telling us what our 6 monthly bill is likely to be after our first 3 months on a meter. Over 45 % higher than we were paying. What have others found once they have gone over to meters ?

As per the other thread this week, I'll be paying £75 less a month on a meter, at least for a while

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Is this just an estimate though to prepare you that prices will change, like a standard calculation on size of house/no. of people etc.? Once the meter starts properly recording your usage, fingers crossed you won't find it as actually that much.

- - - Updated - - -

You can have 20 toilets in your house but it doesn't up water consumption does it ?

Depends if you follow the; if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown let it drown rule...

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Was paying just over £20 pcm before meter. When meter went in they put it up to £35 pcm. I left it for 2 months and then phoned in our reading and we were £75 in credit and they reduced it to £15 pcm. 2 of us in the cottage and we're careful with water usage. It sounds nerdy but things like putting a Save-a-Flush pack in your toilet cistern (available from Southern Water - check their website), not flushing the bog for every number 1, measuring out the water you want to boil in the mug when you want a cuppa etc. really does make a huge difference over time once you're metered. Oh,and the good old "don't leave the tap on when brushing teeth". If you do keep it running, next time put the plug in and you'll be shocked how much water you're wasting.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Was paying just over £20 pcm before meter. When meter went in they put it up to £35 pcm. I left it for 2 months and then phoned in our reading and we were £75 in credit and they reduced it to £15 pcm. 2 of us in the cottage and we're careful with water usage. It sounds nerdy but things like putting a Save-a-Flush pack in your toilet cistern (available from Southern Water - check their website), not flushing the bog for every number 1, measuring out the water you want to boil in the mug when you want a cuppa etc. really does make a huge difference over time once you're metered. Oh,and the good old "don't leave the tap on when brushing teeth". If you do keep it running, next time put the plug in and you'll be shocked how much water you're wasting.

During the hose pipe ban and generally during the summer I take my hose pipe off the outside tap, get it up to the bathroom window, and water the garden by syphoning the kids bath water out each evening. Garden seems to love it.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
During the hose pipe ban and generally during the summer I take my hose pipe off the outside tap, get it up to the bathroom window, and water the garden by syphoning the kids bath water out each evening. Garden seems to love it.

Smart. Probably some nice extra 'nutrients' in it.

As a South East Water customer, can I ask a question?

Our water pipe has to cross three miles of field between the meter and the four houses it serves. We've just had a massive leak repaired and "normal" billing has resumed. In the first 64 days since the leak was fixed, the measured consumption for the four houses has been 223 cu metres. At £1.54 per cubic metre, plus standing charges of £3.50, the total bill has worked out at just over £1.35 per household per day. Or about £495 per year / £124 per quarter / £41 per month - per household.

How do these charges seem to NSC users with experience of water meters?

The four households are: two with two people living in them, one with one person, and one with a family of two adults and two young (primary school age) children.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here