Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£30m Of Costs, £14m Player Wages, £16m on ?????

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Seems to have not been picked up on in other thread re info Paul Barber referred to re our £22m turnover and £8m loss - this means we spent £30m in the year to 30th June 2012
Also says on other thread we had a £14m player wages budget - this means there was £16m of other expenditure - a staggering amount whatever way you look at it.

Re the other £16m a rough "guesstimate" would say it has to include the categories of:

matchday travel costs - surely £2m if Lord B is right and it is around £100k per game
non player football staff wages ?? (management team, head of academy, head of football operations, expanded medical team, performance analysts, scouting network etc)
directors and senior managers pay ??
all other staff wages ??
electricity and gas bills - surely a lot more than Withdean!
write down of main stadium costs - say £75m over 50 years gives £1.5m per annum
write down of fixtures and fittings - got to be best part of £1m per annum you would think

At best maybe only £5m of the £8m loss is cash spent in year, as could be around £3m of write downs of items for which the cash has aleady been spent

So in summary BHA FC is currently getting about £100k per week of funding to keep it afloat

Assuming the £16m of costs can't be reduced / are more likley to go up - re academy staffing structure etc - then we need more turnover - either sponsorship, or fans paying more

Would say a very difficult balancing act re season ticket pricing for next year - as season ticket holders now seem to be viewed as having "7 games for free" - not hard to imagine a tasty price increase being marketed as us fans/customers that tells us we still get "5 games for free" etc

Interesting times

Mar 10, 2006
Some difficult decisions ahead for both the board and supporters. The Board need to increase income but at the risk of losing sections of support as many people will not be able to absorb much of an increase. Trouble is once these people are lost to the club they may never come back.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
As I said on another thread it doesn't match up.

a. highest average attendances in the league
b. most expensive day out in the league
c. moderate wage expenditure in comparison to other teams in the league
d. high consumption of beers and food

And somehow we are making one of the highest losses, whilst the club plan on making the most expensive team in the league more expensive next year- we'll have to wait for the season ticket sales numbers next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Player signing-on fees and paying agents?
That's probably a hefty chunk of the £16m.
I'd imagine that staff wages are probably around £8m or so.

Made up numbers out of nothing.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

And somehow we are making one of the highest losses, whilst the club plan on making the most expensive team in the league more expensive next year- we'll have to wait for the season ticket sales numbers next year.

- - - Updated - - -

I never actually claimed they were facts.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Was the 22million turnover before or after Azure took their cut of profits?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Alot of free transfers means big signing bonuses and agent fees yes. We did ALOT of business even if we didn't spend huge amounts on 'transfer fees'

Also guessing some costs to do with the acadamey plans etc.

Also we went from 22500 to what? 27k? and now to 30.5k seats? That is mostly in the relevant year shirly?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Alot of free transfers means big signing bonuses and agent fees yes. We did ALOT of business even if we didn't spend huge amounts on 'transfer fees'

Also guessing some costs to do with the acadamey plans etc.

Also we went from 22500 to what? 27k? and now to 30.5k seats? That is mostly in the relevant year shirly?

AFAIK, capital expenditure isn't included in these figures. I'd guess that we've spent somewhere in the order of £30m on infrastructure alone this season.

But agreed, the stadium expansion is vital for future revenue.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Other costs:

Policing
Agents
Transport £2m as you say
Planning experts and costs eg Lancing, Bennetts Field late permission
Renting off Sx Univ etc or is that part of the £2m
Catering for match day staff
Bus rates
Power, light and heat
AITC
Academy
Medical for players of all levels
Pitch
Water
Legal

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nice lot of guess works, assumptions and misguided use of numbers there.

does anyone really know the numbers, the accounts arent out yet are they?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
It all sounds a bit Willie Walsh (as in plead poverty and appeal for understanding at cuts and price rises, then 12 months later announce record profits). #donttrustbarber

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I'm sure I read somewhere the heating lights for the pitch cost a bomb to run.. Obviously not £16M but there would be a lot of smaller things that add up.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Seven or eight clubs have parachute payments, there are others like Forest and Cardiff with owners pouring money in, most of the rest have lower wages than us and survive on large transfer fees out a la Palace. We have the seventh most expensive season tickets in division and subsidise supporters travel. We're trying to compete with the other top 10-12 sides chasing promotion, we have some of the most expensive match-day costs because of the subsidised travel and despite all this I don't believe we are making one of the highest losses? Barber says this is typical and other clubs in this division will really struggle to meet FFP.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here