Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 't' in Brighton

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
We are not from London therefore pronounce the T dropping letters from words is something that lot up the A23 would do, not in Sussex.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I don't get all this 'Broy-' or 'Broi' nonsense, whenever I hear someone pronounce an i like 'oi', I automatically assume they're from Hampshire, Berkshire, Somerset, Devon or Cornwall :lolol: Never heard anyone from Sussex pronounce it like that...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I don't get all this 'Broy-' or 'Broi' nonsense, whenever I hear someone pronounce an i like 'oi', I automatically assume they're from Hampshire, Berkshire, Somerset, Devon or Cornwall :lolol: Never heard anyone from Sussex pronounce it like that...

Likewise, it seems a bit country yokel to me (I was born in Chichester if that's relevant).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Glottal stops are replacing the T consonant in many words. I mean who pronounces the T in football for instance?

I've never even thought about that but you're right. Just said 'FooTball' to myself. Sounds weird.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
There can't be many out there who pronounce the 't's in the word 'Butter.' Walk down London Road and get people to read the word 'Butter' off a piece of paper and 68.3% of them would drop the t's.

That blokey advert on Talksport where you've got some middle class voiceover guy dropping the 't' "Our new star centre forward Bratovich" does my bonce.

Glad it's not just me who hates that E-Fax advert. I have to turn Talk Sport off when Ray Parlour comes on for that reason too. People who can't speak English correctly shouldn't be on the radio.

And I'm also Bry-tun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here