Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frozen meat

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When I was younger it was common practice to buy frozen whole chickens or frozen 1/2 shoulder of New Zealand lamb but I cannot seem to find them in any of the supermarkets/Iceland. Where in the Brighton area sells these if they are still available. Where used to buy the lamb and do a half shoulder per person on meals in the pub in Midhurst but now all that appears to be available at a semi sensible price are lamb shanks..

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They have both at the big Tesco's at Bursledon. Would have thought either Church Road or Holmbush would keep them as well.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All I can find is frozen chicken portions no actual whole chickens. the reason for buyng frozen is price and in such things as curry or casserole it doesnt make a lot of difference except wife likes breast and I prefer leg, so a whole chicken makes sense rather than portions. The same with lamb she prefers leg I prefer shoulder so again a 1/2 shoulder for me makes sense.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tried Tesco Burgess Hill and Sainsburys Haywards Heath and no success with either, only fresh English Lambs and frozen chicken portions.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
All I can find is frozen chicken portions no actual whole chickens. the reason for buyng frozen is price and in such things as curry or casserole it doesnt make a lot of difference except wife likes breast and I prefer leg, so a whole chicken makes sense rather than portions. The same with lamb she prefers leg I prefer shoulder so again a 1/2 shoulder for me makes sense.

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1360256241000

If you can't find anything in store, pop down to the customer service desk and they'll get a grocery colleague to assist :thumbsup:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You can get a whole chicken, freash in Sainsbury's for about 2.50

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You can get a whole chicken, freash in Sainsbury's for about 2.50

That is not the point, how fresh are fresh chickens to then freeze. Frozen food is done as soon as it is either picked in the case of vegables or when the meat is killed and prepared, not a week later.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That is not the point, how fresh are fresh chickens to then freeze. Frozen food is done as soon as it is either picked in the case of vegables or when the meat is killed and prepared, not a week later.

I didn't really get the impression you were going for quality seeing as you stated you were looking for cheap frozen chickens you can throw into a curry. Why not make a curry with the fresh 2.50 chicken and do away with the freezing altogether?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

When I was younger it was common practice to buy frozen whole chickens or frozen woolly mammoth but I cannot seem to find them in any of the supermarkets/Iceland. Where in the Brighton area sells these if they are still available. Where used to buy the lamb and do a half shoulder per person on meals in the pub in Midhurst but now all that appears to be available at a semi sensible price are lamb shanks..
:facepalm:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

& you know exactly how many weeks/months/years its been frozen solid for don't you?? Chewtastic

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Driving all round Sussex to see if any stores stock your requirements, will make it the dearest chicken/lamb in England.
Why not try their on-line grocery deleiveries, at least if they are on the e-lists then you know they are available

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here