Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the Playoffs out of reach?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ryan Harley, Glenn Murray, CKR...

All languid styles. Certianly not 'not trying'.

Same for Berbatov.(THE example).

I've never seen someone on a pitch who clearly wasn't trying. Of course there are players with different levels of tenacity etc etc. Taraabt is one. Just because he doesn't run back 40 yards doesn't mean he doesn't try. It means he knows it's more beneficial to stay in the position he plays.

Anyway, none of your suggestions were 'vicente' which seems to suggest he's not the liabilt Kev claims he could be.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Well I am more inclined to believe them before I believe anything you say, put it that way.

Why on earth would he make something like that up? You sir, need to get over this "I hate Poyet" fixation and move on.

Hate is a very strong word. I don't hate Poyet, in fact there have been times when I adore the guy. But I do think everyone finds their level and maybe this is his. I would love to be wrong. Someone the other day asked if we would be better off with hoofball Mick McCarthy. I'd just like to point out McCarthy took Ireland to the 2002 World Cup and has won promotion from this division twice with Sunderland(94pts) and Wolves and is currently steering Ipswich to safety, quite comfortably. Not a bad cv I would suggest. When was the last time we beat a top six side 4-0 at home???....In fact when was the last time we scored 4 goals???

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I believe we could be in the playoffs but based on recent form, I don't think the squad additions are enough for us to be in the playoff spots at season end.

Lack of wins so far mean that its too much to ask now. However, the lack of loses mean that we will finish a comfortable 7th and we can all expect playoffs next season!

westy

Jul 25, 2003
No, I believe we will finish tenth again,..... if we had a clear starting 11, with a clear shape, then I think we could get some consistency and push on, but too often our starting lineup is changed and this adds the instability we see in the performances. Look at Cardiff, I suspect, even without looking, that there is a good chance that barring injuries and suspensions, they know what the team is likely to be on a weekly basis.

Spot on. Chopping and changing the side all season has cost us consistency. Payers need a run of games to get in the groove. Too often a player looks like they are just hitting form then they are rotated for whatever reason. Take Hammond for example, this has happened to him several times, although now he finally seems to be getting a run of games. Will probably be rotated sat now Ive said this.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think it will all be down to the "Spanish Len" factor.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
5 of those 10 wins came in the first 7 games! I think it all depends on how well Ulloa settles in and how well any new tactics work. If we play Ulloa and CMS upfront together and it works then we might have a chance.

This. Time to loosen the reigns Gus. Sh1t or bust.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Will we ever see 4-4-2 again though under Gus? Interesting that a few of the big boys in the Prem have reverted to it of late..

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Spot on. Chopping and changing the side all season has cost us consistency. Payers need a run of games to get in the groove. Too often a player looks like they are just hitting form then they are rotated for whatever reason. Take Hammond for example, this has happened to him several times, although now he finally seems to be getting a run of games. Will probably be rotated sat now Ive said this.
I think this applied equally to Crofts, Dobbie and to a lesser extent Lua Lua.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You lot say that every year :p

Listen, looking at your remaining fixtures it is going to be very tough, can only see 2 or 3 easy games there. But one club normally puts a run together between now and the end of the season, it could be you. But my gut instinct is that you will fall short and finish 8th or 9th.

That is perfectly acceptable to most Albion fans if Palace finish 10th or lower.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Its this "run" that we have been waiting for since the very start of the season. We just need an unbeaten steak of even 2-3 games to bridge the gap

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Will we ever see 4-4-2 again though under Gus? Interesting that a few of the big boys in the Prem have reverted to it of late..

Interesting topic. People say 4-4-2 is outdated. I don't think there is any such thing as an outdated system. At the end of the day there are 11 players in a team. I think any system can be effective regardless if it's 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1,-4-3-3 or -3-5-2 or any other system you care to mention. At the end of the day it's about a team playing to it's strengths. If you have three top centre halfs find a system to accommodate them. If you have two flying wingers, likewise. Play to you own strength's, don't try to counter act someone's else's. That's just playing into the opposition's hands.

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Interesting topic. People say 4-4-2 is outdated. I don't think there is any such think as an outdated system. At the end of the day there are 11 players in a team. I think any system can be effective regardless if it's 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1,-4-4-3 or -3-5-2 or any other system you care to mention. At the end of the day it's about a team playing to it's strengths. If you have three top centre halfs find a system to accommodate them. If you have two flying wingers, likewise. Play to you own strength's, don't try to counter act someone's else's. That's just playing into the opposition's hands.

Quite agree. This.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think this applied equally to Crofts, Dobbie and to a lesser extent Lua Lua.

Crofts by Poyet's own admission was his number one summer target. A main stay in Norwich's promotion side and a regular in the prem last season. What's gone wrong, you would have put Crofts over Hammond every day of the week six months ago.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Crofts by Poyet's own admission was his number one summer target. A main stay in Norwich's promotion side and a regular in the prem last season. What's gone wrong, you would have put Crofts over Hammond every day of the week six months ago.

I find the whole Crofts thing very bizarre indeed.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Play to you own strength's, don't try to counter act someone's else's. That's just playing into the opposition's hands.

th

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
although looking unlikely playoff are still very achievable. only 5 points behind 6 place with 17 games left. where have all the optimists gone? i think we are gonna nick palace's place :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 18477

we have no chance of reaching the playoffs this year. we've improved on last season but still not enough. we'll get there in the end!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
although looking unlikely playoff are still very achievable. only 5 points behind 6 place with 17 games left. where have all the optimists gone? i think we are gonna nick palace's place :rolleyes:

9 points behind Palace, with a game in hand and a home game against them. Win both and the gap is down to 3 points.

I can't believe people are writing us off this early. It's madness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here