Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jack Wilshire - England's best CM since Paul Scholes.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Nothing like setting the lad up to fail!

This is nothing new, people have been saying how good he is for years. If it wasn't for injury keeping him out for almost a year then he would be even better by now and who knows, the Euros could have been a very different story for England.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
Nothing like setting the lad up to fail!

This is nothing new, people have been saying how good he is for years. If it wasn't for injury keeping him out for almost a year then he would be even better by now and who knows, the Euros could have been a very different story for England.

Euros would have been no different , he was too immature and would have been wound up and got sent off ..

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
ow long would it take Ronaldo to get him sent off - 5 mins? If we get to the World Cup I would be certain that he would be sent off in a group game and miss the rest of the tournament (how ever long that may be). Good player but we better have a plan B too

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Paul Scholes - One of those players who became better and better the more he didn't play.... I think there's a slight myth built up about quite how good he was for England.

Note - I'm not saying he isn't a great player, but I don't recall England being any better with him than without....

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Paul Scholes - One of those players who became better and better the more he didn't play.... I think there's a slight myth built up about quite how good he was for England.

Note - I'm not saying he isn't a great player, but I don't recall England being any better with him than without....

He started off good for England and then became embarrassingly shit very quickly.

You're right about the myth. He was dire for 70% of games

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Was very impressed by Wilshire last night completely bossed the midfield and they couldnt handle his runs forward at times. Lets not get carried away though still has a lot of learning to do to fill his full potential.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He started off good for England and then became embarrassingly shit very quickly.

You're right about the myth. He was dire for 70% of games

Difficult to look good out on the left wing though.

The problem England had was trying to fit Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard & Beckham into a midfield four hence putting square pegs into round holes.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Difficult to look good out on the left wing though.

The problem England had was trying to fit Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard & Beckham into a midfield four hence putting square pegs into round holes.

That's not right- It was Gerrard who used to play on the left and Scholes thru the middle. And in fact, lampard played a majority of his games for England after scholes retired from international football. Beckham played 90% of his matches on the right wing for England.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Scholes at his peak is still better IMO. Wilshere/Gerrard may be seen as more rounded players as they're better defensively but Scholes has been acknowledged by more or less every top player in the world, including Zidane, Xavi etc, as being the best player they've ever come up against. That says a lot...

I love Scholes but Wilshere's arguably better at 21 than Scholes was. At this age Scholes was just becoming a first team regular at Utd and didn't make his England debut for a further 2 years.

Decode

Jan 25, 2010
That's not right- It was Gerrard who used to play on the left and Scholes thru the middle. And in fact, lampard played a majority of his games for England after scholes retired from international football. Beckham played 90% of his matches on the right wing for England.

Scholes retired after Euro 2004, after he spent the entire tournament out on the left-wing to accomodate Gerrard and Lampard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here