Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus's WARCHEST

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Interesting that our wage bill of £14 million is below the average in this division of £17 million. Gus wasn't lying.

Anyone still think we're underachieving in terms of money spent to our league position?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone still think we're underachieving in terms of money spent to our league position?
It's not about how much you've got, it's what you do with it.

Just ask 'King' Kenny Dalglish.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
:needpics:

And where is this war chest kept?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
El Presidente said:
Interesting that our wage bill of £14 million is below the average in this division of £17 million.
Gus has already said we're about 13th in terms of playing budget.

I'm curious. Where do people find this information? Is the "playing budget" a separate entity in the accounts? And even if it is, accounts are private unless the company is public listed, and a year out of date anyway.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
The median might be more useful than the mean - at least would give a sense of which half of the table we should be in.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm curious. Where do people find this information? Is the "playing budget" a separate entity in the accounts? And even if it is, accounts are private unless the company is public listed, and a year out of date anyway.

My info has come from 2 or 3 mentions of it in Seagull's Player interviews. Tanno has mentioned it too.
El pres quote comes from Walt Jabsco's thread re: interview with Paul Barber? There's a link to it on that thread.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My info has come from 2 or 3 mentions of it in Seagull's Player interviews. Tanno has mentioned it too.
El pres quote comes from Walt Jabsco's thread re: interview with Paul Barber? There's a link to it on that thread.
Exactly. It's all second or third hand.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exactly. It's all second or third hand.

I've heard it directly from Gus & Tanno. If you read the other thread, you'll read that El Pres has stated he's contacted Barber directly & the interview confirms what he was told. I don't blame you for your cynicism but it's fairly easy to find out some facts if you want to.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've heard it directly from Gus & Tanno. If you read the other thread, you'll read that El Pres has stated he's contacted Barber directly & the interview confirms what he was told. I don't blame you for your cynicism but it's fairly easy to find out some facts if you want to.
Sorry Yorkie, I'm obviously not making myself clear. I'm genuinely confused as to how Gus & Tanno can be sure they are ranked 13th biggest payers in the division. I'm not arguing that you can find quotes that they said as much.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Playing budget is part of the wage bill, but it is realistic to assume that the playing budget for most clubs is likely to be a broadly constant percentage of the total wage bill, apart from the odd exception (such as Karl Oyston's £11 million payout from Blackpool a season ago).

I get my information from the Deloitte Annual Review of Football Finance, which is nerd heaven.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sorry Yorkie, I'm obviously not making myself clear. I'm genuinely confused as to how Gus & Tanno can be sure they are ranked 13th biggest payers in the division. I'm not arguing that you can find quotes that they said as much.

I don't think they can be sure, and appreciate that figures are indeed a year behind, but the last FULL set of figures for our division were (in millions)

QPR 30
Boro 27
Hull 21
Reading 21
Burnley 19
Norwich 18
Sheffield United 18
Ipswich 18
Swansea 17
Leeds 17
Leicester 17
Forest 17
Bristol City 16
Cardiff 16
Derby 13
Preston 12
Watford 9
Palace 9
Millwall 8
Barnsley 8
Doncaster 8
Scunthorpe 6

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cheers [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]. But as you say, those figures are a full year behind. At best it is hardly an exact science, so I fail to see how Gus can say with any certainty that BHA are 13th highest payers. I bet that this year we are MUCH higher.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I don't think they can be sure, and appreciate that figures are indeed a year behind, but the last FULL set of figures for our division were (in millions)

QPR 30
Boro 27
Hull 21
Reading 21
Burnley 19
Norwich 18
Sheffield United 18
Ipswich 18
Swansea 17
Leeds 17
Leicester 17
Forest 17
Bristol City 16
Cardiff 16
Derby 13
Preston 12
Watford 9
Palace 9
Millwall 8
Barnsley 8
Doncaster 8
Scunthorpe 6

ooh thanks for that thats really interesting, if not that surprising. Be v interested to see last seasons and even more interested to see this years.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Cheers [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]. But as you say, those figures are a full year behind. At best it is hardly an exact science, so I fail to see how Gus can say with any certainty that BHA are 13th highest payers. I bet that this year we are MUCH higher.

I agree with you entirely, no one knows for certain.

Given that the Amex has greater capacity this season, and on an average gate of 4,000 greater than last season, at average revenue per customer of (say) £25 (remember that VAT has to come out of the gross price) for 25 matches, then we have an extra £2.5 million coming through the gate this season. If we assume cost savings of £1.5 million (there were set up costs moving to Falmer, which should not be repeated) then given we are budgeting for our losses to match those of last season at £8 million, I reckon the wage bill will be £17-18 million this year, which puts us slightly above average, but nothing to suggest we should be nailed on for the play-offs, compared to our competitors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here