Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Criteria for an Albion Fan

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Fair enough. I know many fellow Albion fans travel great distances to see the Albion at home.

However, I would prefer us to fill the stadium with Sussex born fans. I would consider myself a hypocrite not to. In my street I have West Ham , Chelsea & Arsenal fans and it irks me that they don't follow the Albion yet live in the area. I can't have these sentiments towards them and yet welcome Albion fans living outside the County.

Its nothing personal - it's just a wish/mindset. In your circumstances I would have thought you should be supporting your local team - Hull ?

Are Beatles fans wrong because they don't like the Rolling Stones, or vice versa? People like what they like and just because you live in London doesn't mean you MUST support a London team. A football team is not an army to whom you make a formal allegiance. That went out at the end of the medieval era.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
according to some

you need to have been to the Goldstone and seen Wardy play - Yes
been a regular at Gillingham -Yes
season ticket holder at Withdean -Yes
attended the Hereford game -Yes
saw Nelson score at Brentford -Yes
luzzed something at opposing fans during the 80`s - Never did that but would have thumped some Donny fan in last game at Goldstone who spat at me,if the fence hadn't protected him...

I accept all new fans so long as they keep the Amex rocking, long may it continue....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you cant tick all those boxes you are a JCL - All football clubs started with new fans and what makes us older ones more special?, altho I am no entirelyt innocent here I did jump queue for FA Cup Quarter final against Norwich on basis Id been to Liverpool and nearly all other cup games, but haven't ever been as precious since, except when people bore on about London clubs....

ps the overlords that make these rules are sitting around the dining table and discussing how the Magna Carta will be impacting on their day to day life. - Yes I understand your position perfectly, but despite being an old git I still go regularly away....

One of my most memorable games out of all of them was when we won at Sunderland 2-1 in 1981 and Gary Williams scored a last gasp winner, for me that even outshone our 3-0 win at Palace (2 weeks earlier) which sparked the most unlikely escape, matched only by Russell Slade's recent Owusu inspired escape...

PS These are pretty special days not everyone appreciates it and I LOVED our League One promotion tem most away games in one season ever attended...

crumbs i hope you didnt take anything i said in my post as serious

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A Gal is another name for a girl as in (me and my Gal ) song and the phrase 'what a Gal' I added the extra L to have the same letters as seagull .... I thought it was quite good and never thought it would need such an explanation

It is surprising what needs to be explained on NSC. Welcome.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
sorry chap you are talking wibblecrap

it seems this thread has become all serious
i was not born remotely near Brighton
as a nipper i moved around the country,mostly up North due to fathers work,my old man was footy mad and i ended up going to man city wolves liverpool forest preston not always because i wanted to go.
in the 70`s we moved to surrey

one day my footy loving dad wanted to take his young lad to football
the options were Palace or Brighton

naturally i jumped on the chance to go to the seaside and buy rock and go on the pier

the Albion game was secondary to me

but something happened,it wasnt like all the other games i had been to and i was hooked...its as simple as that.

i spent nearly 20 years watching the Albion using Surrey as a base before work moved me closer and finally to Sussex.

if anybody ever asks themselves the question why did i become hooked on the Albion.......the answer is worthless

you are hooked...deal with it...and enjoy the ride!
Isn't TheMajor also the guy who is obsessed with attendances? But if he had his way there would only be people born in Brighton and Hove at the Amex as everyone else would have to support their local club! (I don't think he thought it through tbh). I wonder if the applies the same rule to the players?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
An Albion fan I know supports the club on the sole basis that Liam Brady was here when he got into football.

He has no geographical or family connection to Brighton or Sussex whatsoever - is he still allowed to support us?

It's an extremely divisive question and one which cannot be answered.

I stated that I would PREFER the Amex to be filled with local Sussex people rather than supporters from farther afield. It's never going to happen. However, all football clubs were initially set up to represent the town & people of that town.

Wouldn't it be more interesting if people went to their local clubs rather than cherry pick Clubs ? - perhaps the likes of Port Vale, Orient etc would have a brighter future.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I was born in London but moved back to Brighton aged 3 days when my mum and me left hospital to come home. I've lived in Sussex in total for 21 years of my life and elsewhere (London mainly but latterly Gibraltar) for the rest. I've always thought of myself and described myself as a lifelong Albion fan and have lived the highs and lows but in the light of some of the comments on this thread, and in the eyes of some, I cannot be an Albion fan (not born in sussex, don't live in sussex). I am hurt and confused! Do I need to re-evaluate my life and describe myself differently and if so what am I?!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Wouldn't it be more interesting if people went to their local clubs rather than cherry pick Clubs ? - perhaps the likes of Port Vale, Orient etc would have a brighter future.

So would Crawley, Eastbourne, Lewes, Hastings, Bognor, Rye, Whitehawk etc., etc.

I''m not sure why it would be more interesting. I haven't a clue where the people who sit next to me come from and I couldn't care less. I support the Albion for MY reasons and that's good enough for me.

And I completely respect other fans' reasons ... whatever they may be and wherever they may live, or have lived.

If someone wants to support a club, that's surely good enough.

- - - Updated - - -

So would Crawley, Eastbourne, Lewes, Hastings, Bognor, Rye, Whitehawk etc., etc.

I''m not sure why it would be more interesting. I haven't a clue where the people who sit next to me come from and I couldn't care less. I support the Albion for MY reasons and that's good enough for me.

And I completely respect other fans' reasons ... whatever they may be and wherever they may live, or have lived.

If someone wants to support a club, that's surely good enough.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's an extremely divisive question and one which cannot be answered.

I stated that I would PREFER the Amex to be filled with local Sussex people rather than supporters from farther afield. It's never going to happen. However, all football clubs were initially set up to represent the town & people of that town.

No, it still doesn't make sense, simply because by your own rules you CAN'T have all Sussex-born people as people from outside Brighton and Hove will all be supporting their local clubs. Therefore unless you want to backtrack a bit in your ideal world the only people who can support Brighton and Hove Albion are people born in Brighton and Hove or those who were born nearer to Brighton and Hove than they were to another town with a community football club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here