Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An interview with Paul Barber

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It does me. I usually walk down from Fiveways and catch the 25 bus from the vogue gyratory and make the return journey afterwards. I do this because it's 'free'. There is no way would I pay the extortionate in-city bus fares to do the same journey, especially as the service isn't door-to-door. I would drive/be driven. (As I do if I'm picking tickets up from the ground as the standard buses won't accept proof of purchase as a travel voucher - although the P&R buses do).

A pedant writes...

It's quicker to go from your house to London Road Station than to the Gyratory. Really.

And they don't check your ticket at all. :)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A pedant writes...

It's quicker to go from your house to London Road Station than to the Gyratory. Really.

And they don't check your ticket at all. :)

Yeah, I've thought about doing that, but aren't the trains rammed by the time they reach London Road? Maybe I'll try it next time I haven't actually got a match ticket on me ... #faredodger

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
For away fans or home fans , they certainly charge less for kids for home fans .

For all matches? (eg v Spurs, Man Utd) My Chelsea-supporting mate suggests otherwise.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
For all matches? (eg v Spurs, Man Utd) My Chelsea-supporting mate suggests otherwise.
Is this the same chelsea "supporter" who claims poyet is popular at chelsea , he doesnt know a lot does he ? If you're a member you can buy tickets in the family area , where its a lot cheaper for kids, but it sells out quite quickly, I am going to the cup replay v brentford where the whole stadium is half price for kids. Does he ever go ? Doesnt sound like it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So all this talk relates to the year 2012, ie our first year at falmer in a 22k stadium. The capacity will go up by an extra 8k so based on an average price of say £30, that is an increase in ticket revenue of £240k per match or £5,520,000 per season (23 games). I believe the I read somewhere that the average spend on concessions per ticket was about £10 so that is an extra £80k per game or £1,840,000 per season. A total of £7,320,000. Not far off the deficit but then we should be getting a better shirt sponsorship deal. Not particularly scientific calculations and no doubt there are many other factors, eg additonal staff costs for the extra 8k as well as the ongoing loss for transport. But is the situation as black as some people are painting it?

Alternatively, if I'm missing something bleeding obvious then perhaps someone can point that out?
Firstly we won't sell out every game , secondly the average price is too high if you factor in kids prices and OAP concessions plus any STH's who pro rata price is about £20 per game. Not everyone of those extra attendees will spend a tenner on booze , food and a programme.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Firstly we won't sell out every game , secondly the average price is too high if you factor in kids prices and OAP concessions plus any STH's who pro rata price is about £20 per game. Not everyone of those extra attendees will spend a tenner on booze , food and a programme.

Fair point but it would be interesting to see what the average price is when you take into account the amount the 1901s pay. As for selling out, I know that but all I am saying is that the picture isn't quite as bleak as an £8m hole. As for the tenner, surely it is reasonable to assume that the extra attendees will spend roughly the same average as those currently going. Afterall, not everyone that goes now spends £10 but I understood that was the average spend currently (ie, some spend considerably more some less!)

- - - Updated - - -

Fair point but it would be interesting to see what the average price is when you take into account the amount the 1901s pay. As for selling out, I know that but all I am saying is that the picture isn't quite as bleak as an £8m hole. As for the tenner, surely it is reasonable to assume that the extra attendees will spend roughly the same average as those currently going. Afterall, not everyone that goes now spends £10 but I understood that was the average spend currently (ie, some spend considerably more some less!)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Is this the same chelsea "supporter" who claims poyet is popular at chelsea , he doesnt know a lot does he ? If you're a member you can buy tickets in the family area , where its a lot cheaper for kids, but it sells out quite quickly, I am going to the cup replay v brentford where the whole stadium is half price for kids. Does he ever go ? Doesnt sound like it.

He goes to around 10 matches a season. He's a member. Has a son.

So are you saying that consessions are available for ALL Chelsea matches?

I'm (still) confident that most Chelsea fans don't have a problem with Poyet, btw - even if a handful of fans on messageboards suggest otherwise.

How many Chelsea matches do YOU go to each season, BTW?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
West Stand Upper middle blocks is, what, £490 this season?

If you estimate even a five per cent increase on that your ticket would go up £24.50, taking it up to £514.50 even before the subsidy rise is added.

Corners are £415, so I think there will still be seats available at under £500, even allowing for a reasonable increase for the club and a painful increase in the travel.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
He goes to around 10 matches a season. He's a member. Has a son.

So are you saying that consessions are available for ALL Chelsea matches?

I'm (still) confident that most Chelsea fans don't have a problem with Poyet, btw - even if a handful of fans on messageboards suggest otherwise.

How many Chelsea matches do YOU go to each season, BTW?
I am absolutely 100% telling you that the family concession ( as long as you're a member) is available for all matches , how many games do I go to ? i've always averaged 10 home games and a couple of aways a season, not anymore though,I've been about 3 times this season, all on season ticket holders that couldn't go. I think I posted it on here how I was booking my ticket (£59 cheapest ) and had a "f*** it , i'll watch it in my local, which will have a bettter atmosphere and i'll savea lot of money, moment.
The question that is relevant for Chelsea fans is HOW LONG they have been going , did he do the dire , shit times of the early 80's ? I bet he didn't,( waits for you to tell me he's a LIFELONG fan , who was going in the roy bentley days) I'd also like to know what makes you feel that you know better than me with regards to the majority of fans feelings towards Poyet ? One JCL fan telling you how much he and all the other JCL's cheered a former player like Poyet really doesnt equate to hard evidence that satisfactorily contradicts someone who has far more of a finger on the pulse of Chelsea than you do.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
His dad was a Chelsea fan. He's 42. He's being going since the 70s. He has no problem with Poyet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
One JCL fan telling you how much he and all the other JCL's cheered a former player like Poyet really doesnt equate to hard evidence that satisfactorily contradicts someone who has far more of a finger on the pulse of Chelsea than you do.

Why do the majority supposedly dislike Poyet?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
They dont "supposedly" dislike him , they dislike him full stop, because he moved to tottenham which is bad enough in itself, but also kissed their scummy , manky cockerel badge in front of all of the chelsea fans when they scored against us.

- - - Updated - - -

They dont "supposedly" dislike him , they dislike him full stop, because he moved to tottenham which is bad enough in itself, but also kissed their scummy , manky cockerel badge in front of all of the chelsea fans when they scored against us.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
@bushy, @Wozza, isn't this a case of "you're both right"? Bushy I 100% believe you about the family concessions if you're a member. However on the times in the modern era that I've been to Stamford Bridge (with Newcastle) obviously not being a Chelsea member there were no concessions for my two children, their tickets were the same price as mine.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
@bushy, @Wozza, isn't this a case of "you're both right"? Bushy I 100% believe you about the family concessions if you're a member. However on the times in the modern era that I've been to Stamford Bridge (with Newcastle) obviously not being a Chelsea member there were no concessions for my two children, their tickets were the same price as mine.
Maybe mate, must've been an expensive day out paying full price !

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Why should the club pay for your travel outside of the Amex consourse opening times ???
Because I travel from Norfolk I prefer to get down here early Saturday to avoid train disruptions and delays. I'm effectively paying twice for the same journey in Sussex . If we are and I expect it to happen gonna have to pay the full travel supplement, a bit more leway would be helpful. I know it's part of the planning conditions but surely the travel operators should be doing more. They have the club by the goolies!.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I am absolutely 100% telling you that the family concession ( as long as you're a member) is available for all matches , how many games do I go to ? i've always averaged 10 home games and a couple of aways a season, not anymore though,I've been about 3 times this season, all on season ticket holders that couldn't go. I think I posted it on here how I was booking my ticket (£59 cheapest ) and had a "f*** it , i'll watch it in my local, which will have a bettter atmosphere and i'll savea lot of money, moment.
The question that is relevant for Chelsea fans is HOW LONG they have been going , did he do the dire , shit times of the early 80's ? I bet he didn't,( waits for you to tell me he's a LIFELONG fan , who was going in the roy bentley days) I'd also like to know what makes you feel that you know better than me with regards to the majority of fans feelings towards Poyet ? One JCL fan telling you how much he and all the other JCL's cheered a former player like Poyet really doesnt equate to hard evidence that satisfactorily contradicts someone who has far more of a finger on the pulse of Chelsea than you do.

At £59 a ticket I'm not surprised you watched it in the pub where you can have a few beers for half the price. You have to draw a line somewhere.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
At £59 a ticket I'm not surprised you watched it in the pub where you can have a few beers for half the price. You have to draw a line somewhere.
Totally agree mate, it's ridiculous now, I am taking my two boys to the brighton game tonight which is about £60 for all three of us , which is reasonable and well within reach of the average joe, which Chelsea certainly isnt when the concessions sell out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here