Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Bell end of the highest order.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
definatly worthy. a few, small glitches in his personal character are overplayed, he's been a brilliant left back.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He's been England's most consistent performer over the last 10 years so, yes, he is worthy of recognition. Even if he is a bit of a tosser off the pitch.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What has he achieved precisely? I went to a small school and was an ever present at left back in my team. We won sod all. I was a nicer person than Ashley Cole. No bugger gave me anything and I never crashed my car because I was only offered 70k a week.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The level of consistency he's performed with over the years is amazing, Gary Lineker likened him to Roberto Carlos and he's possibly not far off the mark.

As a human being though - total arse.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In football terms, which is what he is wanted and famed for, he is arguably still the best left back in the world or at last in the top 3. I am a football fan so not interested in his private life and who he does or doesn't shag.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
He is the only player we've had that over the last however long that you could genuinely say is the best in the world in his position

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
The level of consistency he's performed with over the years is amazing, Gary Lineker likened him to Roberto Carlos and he's possibly not far off the mark.

As a human being though - total arse.

couldnt have put it better

formerdutchmarine

Sep 25, 2008
Blokes a Bellend however....

3 league winner medals, 7 fa cup medals and 1 champs league - not a bad medal haul
Have however just been informed he went on loan to Palace at one stage during his early days so the above is irrelavant!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Great player for England and fully deserves recognition in the pitch. That said, I feel it's time for Mr Baines to take over. Does everything that Cole can but has a better cross and takes awesome set pieces.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Really don't understand what the lad has done to be so widely disliked?

He's be superb for both club and country.

Apart from the air rifle incident what has he done off the field that has been so bad?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Apart from the air rifle incident what has he done off the field that has been so bad?

Well, there's the 'nearly crashed my car' passage in his book when he heard that Arsenal had 'only' offered him an additional £5,000 per week (thereby bringing his wages at the time to £55,000 per week). I realise this wage hardly makes him unique in the top flight, but the insensitivity he displayed to the support which sustains him where he is was staggering, especially in a book - hardly something said in the heat of the moment, is it?

Then there's the unbelievable display of arrogance and disrespect to a ref who was trying to book him (Mike Riley I think?) when he turned his back on him and wouldn't turn round. Had I had the cards in my hand, he'd have (eventually) turned round to see a red one.

The 'he shagged her/didn't shag her' stuff I couldn't give a toss about, but his attitude to the game, and the fans, is part of him as a footballer, which I do care about. A decent player, certainly, though typically over-hyped and over-rated merely because of his nationality, but worthy of recognition? Only in the growing pantheon of top-flight wankers to have played during my lifetime.

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

One poor passage in a book, and cheating on Cheryl - they're his main crimes. Universally disliked for that basically. Weird. There are worse things that happen.

He's an England legend. He has started every single one of his 100 caps - not many of the 100 club can claim that

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Bell end of the highest order.

I couldn't give a shit what he does in his Private Life. He's a left back of world quality and it won't be truly recognised what a great asset he has been for England until he no longer plays for us.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
One poor passage in a book, and cheating on Cheryl - they're his main crimes. Universally disliked for that basically. Weird. There are worse things that happen.

He's an England legend. He has started every single one of his 100 caps - not many of the 100 club can claim that

Spot on. Terrific player, England's best in the last twenty years. He cheated on his wife, as millions of men do, and lives in a bit of a financial fantasy world, as all top footballers do. Has he been out shagging geriatric prostitutes while his girlfriend is at home pregnant? Has he beaten the shit out of someone in a bar? Has he (allegedly) group spunked over an unconscious girls face? Is he often pictured in the papers falling out of Chinawhites at 3am and causing trouble? No, he isn't.

I don't understand the hatred for him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What has he achieved precisely? I went to a small school and was an ever present at left back in my team. We won sod all. I was a nicer person than Ashley Cole. No bugger gave me anything and I never crashed my car because I was only offered 70k a week.

Playing football for your school and being an ever present at left back might just mean that the rest of the lads in your year were absolutely cack!!! Had you excelled in the postion and went on to represent your country 100 times then we may well be lauding your achievements.!!!!!!
(p.s. Have you shagged any geordie popstars cause that might help??)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here