Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laser pens should be restricted!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not just aircraft. Increasing number of cases where they're pointing them at car drivers.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Why can't they just be banned? What possible reason is there for having one other than to misuse it? Same with those mini motorbikes that chavs seem so fond of.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why can't they just be banned? What possible reason is there for having one other than to misuse it?

pointing at things.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
The high power ones are banned I think, the less powerful ones are useful for points in lectures.

Correct on both counts!

It is illegal to sell a laser pointer with a power of greater than 1mW in the UK, but imports are unrestricted.
Anything below 5mW will generally not cause long-lasting damage, as the blink reflex is quick enough to shield the retina.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I've seen laser pens on sale in France, Germany, Poland etc. I don't know if they've been banned yet over there but if they aren't they should be; possibly been smuggled in to this country by immigrants or criminals. Lethal objects.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I've seen laser pens on sale in France, Germany, Poland etc. I don't know if they've been banned yet over there but if they aren't they should be; possibly been smuggled in to this country by immigrants or criminals. Lethal objects.

It's not illegal to have them imported, but it's illegal to sell one in the UK with a power rating of over 1mW.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Anyone causing a loss of life through the misuse of laser pens should be jailed for life. There is no excuse for such an imbecilic level of stupidity.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I actually ordered (on a stupid whim) one of those 'Arctic' lasers from 'Wicked lasers', billed as "the most powerful handheld laser in the world". Having thought about it for a while, I cancelled my order - which took a lot of emails before they accepted my cancellation - as I realised that I would have no use for it whatsoever. Burning balloons might be fun for a while, but I didn't want to have the temptation to use it for something more harmful, which, in a moment of stupidity, was quite possible.

I really do not understand why the import of these ridiculously dangerous items are not restricted, as it's only a matter of time before somebody uses one of these on a person and causes immediate and permanent blindness. From now on, I'll just stick to torches. :)

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I first read that as "laser penis" :lol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Fooling people into thinking a sniper has them in their sights.

That usually happens to Winifred Zaha when he gets into the penalty box.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here