Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Views On Gerrards Comments Regarding Jack Wilshere.

larus

From BBC.

England captain Steven Gerrard has said Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has the "potential to become one of the best in the world".

The 21-year-old is expected to make his first England start for 17 months in the friendly with Brazil at Wembley.

"He can tick almost every box, and he's going to get better and better. He'll get better than he is now which is a scary thought," said Gerrard.
But the skipper warned: "One man can't carry a nation on his own."

Wilshere made his international debut just under two and a half years ago, but will win only his seventh cap if he features against Brazil on Wednesday night.

The midfielder, who returned to the Arsenal first team last October after 15 months out injured, has played just 324 minutes of international football and only 13 of them in the company of Gerrard. Gerrard, however, hoped the youngster would "bring out the best in all of us".

"Jack has got a bit of everything," said the 32-year-old Liverpool midfielder. "He can tackle, get up and down the pitch, create a goal, score a goal, he can pass.
"I think he's got the potential to become one of the best in the world and I don't want to add any pressure. That's unfair.
"But playing against him recently and in training, he's a one-off. He's a lot better than your normal Premier League midfielder. I have a lot of confidence in him.
"He's a top player and I hope he gives the dressing room a lift. We need competition for places if we're going to get to Brazil."

So, is he potentially that good?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From BBC.

England captain Steven Gerrard has said Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has the "potential to become one of the best in the world".

The 21-year-old is expected to make his first England start for 17 months in the friendly with Brazil at Wembley.

"He can tick almost every box, and he's going to get better and better. He'll get better than he is now which is a scary thought," said Gerrard.
But the skipper warned: "One man can't carry a nation on his own."

Wilshere made his international debut just under two and a half years ago, but will win only his seventh cap if he features against Brazil on Wednesday night.

The midfielder, who returned to the Arsenal first team last October after 15 months out injured, has played just 324 minutes of international football and only 13 of them in the company of Gerrard. Gerrard, however, hoped the youngster would "bring out the best in all of us".

"Jack has got a bit of everything," said the 32-year-old Liverpool midfielder. "He can tackle, get up and down the pitch, create a goal, score a goal, he can pass.
"I think he's got the potential to become one of the best in the world and I don't want to add any pressure. That's unfair.
"But playing against him recently and in training, he's a one-off. He's a lot better than your normal Premier League midfielder. I have a lot of confidence in him.
"He's a top player and I hope he gives the dressing room a lift. We need competition for places if we're going to get to Brazil."

So, is he potentially that good?

Potentially, yes he is.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Potential, yes - why not?

In reality? Hodgson will probably play him on the left wing in a couple of years and he'll go the same way as Paul Scholes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He reminds me quite a lot of a younger Gerrard.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Looks the real deal to me from what I've seen before and since the long spell out. Sorry we didn't see more of him at the Amex, but changed the game when he did come on.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He reminds me quite a lot of a younger Gerrard.

Hopefully without the pointless long wafty passes towards [insert England striker here] that drift harmlessly out of the team's possession.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yes. He has the potential to be the best central midfielder in the world, certainly.

He has the brilliant balance between tenacity and ability. He's basically a terrier. I imagine he's horrible to play against.

I think people wont value how good Gerrard and Lampard were until they are both gone. Luckily Wilshire will step up but I'm not quite sure who else will be in there alongside him. Maybe Tom Cleverly? Jack Rodwell seems to have disappeared from earth.
However, I'm very happy that we have a natural line of succession at left back now. Cole to be replaced by Baines to be replaced by Luke Shaw eventually.

Walker will be our right back for a long time and then we have the likes of Ince, Oxlade Chamberlain and Zaha as wingers.

We have some good potential there.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I'm sure he is and will be great.

From the England perspective, if we are to win a Euro or World cup, we need 7 or so players that could/would walk into any other countries' starting 11. At the moment we have 2 or 3 realistically, possibly 4. Countries like Spain probably have 9 or 10. Germany maybe 6 or 7, and so on.

That aside, I've no doubt there are plenty of talented youngsters in this country that never really realise their potential as they grow up learning nothing other than hoof/run/physical football. Spain addressed this many years ago. We haven't, and due to the ineptitude of the FA at so many levels, probably never will. That said, this new FA training centre is a positive move but not the be-all and end-all solution.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Rodwell is at City mostly taking a spot on the bench or in their reserves

What a waste.

*edit* Just checked and I see he missed the last few months through injury. Still, not convinced he'll be a first team regular now he's back

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Along with Scott Sinclair.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Wilshere is the one player who makes me interested in watching our national team. I just hope Hodgson and future England managers harness his ability and build the side around him rather than the likes of Rooney.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just like the ones to Rooney, Carroll and Lescott in the Euro's? Oh...

I don't think Gerrard's a crap player, far from it, it just disappoints me that (1) he's rarely shown the same quality for England as he used to do regularly for Liverpool, (2) he's somehow always seemed to escape the flak that Lampard gets, and I'm not sure why as neither have exactly lit up the world stage in white shirts, and (3) I just find it frustrating how many long balls he hits- perhaps it's not just him, it's an old fashioned English mentality, but if he concentrated on what used to make him such a presence in a Liverpool shirt and less on trying to emulate David Beckham, he could have done so much more.

You remember those passes in the Euros because they were the exception, and were rare moments of finesse amongst the general mediocrity (of which Gerrard was as much a part as most of them).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I just find it frustrating how many long balls he hits- perhaps it's not just him, it's an old fashioned English mentality, but if he concentrated on what used to make him such a presence in a Liverpool shirt and less on trying to emulate David Beckham, he could have done so much more.

About to say, not like Beckham hasn't put it out of touch a fair few times. Yet, I've seen this still gets applauded sometimes?! Beckham is the best PR story of all time, he could rape the Queen and somehow still come out of it pretty well.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I don't think Gerrard's a crap player, far from it, it just disappoints me that (1) he's rarely shown the same quality for England as he used to do regularly for Liverpool, (2) he's somehow always seemed to escape the flak that Lampard gets, and I'm not sure why as neither have exactly lit up the world stage in white shirts, and (3) I just find it frustrating how many long balls he hits- perhaps it's not just him, it's an old fashioned English mentality, but if he concentrated on what used to make him such a presence in a Liverpool shirt and less on trying to emulate David Beckham, he could have done so much more.

You remember those passes in the Euros because they were the exception, and were rare moments of finesse amongst the general mediocrity (of which Gerrard was as much a part as most of them).

I'd have to disagree with you there. Occasionally he can have terrible games but for the most part I think he's been one of England's most consistent players for many years now. When you compare his international performances to players like Rooney he has done a lot more than some people give him credit for imo. I agree that he probably didn't live up to the hype of his best years of his Liverpool career, though.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I agree on all three of these points. He is still a very good player but he has always been lacking in both technical ability and positional discipline. His phenomenal long balls, those "typical Steven Gerrard" balls that Sky tells us about really are very infrequent and that's what frustrates me: he can play phenomenal balls like those at the Euro's but most of the time he doesn't and they just waft out of play.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Gerrard does love his Hollywood passes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here