Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New tv advice please can only afford to do this once

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The answer is Samsung but Panasonic run them close. LG are slightly cheaper but make some fine products. I've got an oldish 50in LG plasma and it still stands up against the newer faster ones. Remember to keep 200 back for a soundbar though.
It used to be that plasma was the way forward for larger screens but I don't think that that is the case now. Sony have relied a lot on product loyalty for quite a few years and some of there reviews are not as good as they were so I would give them a swerve.
No it's the Samsung 5 and 6 series range if you can afford it.

Right now.........active or passive 3D ?

Last edited:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
True, but be prepared to take the occasional cheap lead back because of duff build quality. :D

True enough but if you spend £15 on an hdmi that is plenty. It makes me angry when I am wondering round shops and you hear the spotty salesman trying to flog £150 monster leads to people who do not know the difference.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'm still happy with the Toshiba I bought of NSC classified just over 2 years ago.

Much loved & working well. Hope that doesn't now jinx it!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I'm still happy with the Toshiba I bought of NSC classified just over 2 years ago.

Much loved & working well. Hope that doesn't now jinx it!

Your pension is big enough to buy the entire Toshiba business, so i am not that concerned for you.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
For decent sound and no difference in price you're better off (unless limited in space) getting proper speakers instead of a sound bar - the sound quality will be much better.

Passive 3D is my preferred choice (same as cinema).

Buy your HDMI cables for £1 off Amazon (no need to spend more than this).

See here for good TV deals: Cheap Tv Deals Online and In Store - Hot UK Deals

Leas

Dec 3, 2011
thank you all for your help and recommendations i sure have a lot to think about now , i forgot to mention my main thing is that that the picture is the best it can be for fast moving pictures such as football , i have a Panasonic right now its 60khtz but when watching football i see pin stripe white lines for a second when the camera moves fast ! basicly i would like a smooth picture all the time ! is there such a make that gives you that ? sorry should have mentioned that in the first place:blush::blush:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Which "best buy" list is current full of LG and Samsung, Panasonic doesn't get a mention.

Currently top two best buys:

LG 47LM860 - The LG 47LM860 is a premium 47-inch edge-lit LED TV with a beautiful, almost frameless design, a 1080p Full-HD screen and an interesting set of features. Not only does it boast LG's passive 3D technology, but a novel way to use it in gaming, while a second motion-sensitive remote control makes navigating the set's Smart TV functions that much easier. Could LG have a winning 3D TV on its hands with the 47LM860?

Samsung UE55ES8000 - The Samsung UE55ES8000 LED has practically every feature you could think of, and a few you probably couldn't. As well as a slimline chassis and a huge 55-inch, full HD 1080p LED-backlit screen, it also has 3D, internet features and Freeview and Freesat HD tuners. And that's before we even get to the built-in camera, motion controls, voice controls and touch-sensitive remote. Is the Samsung UE55ES8000 a Best Buy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here