Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I need a new phone.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
My contract with Virgin has come to an end & I'll not renew as they occasionally charge way over the agreed price. They say it's because I use the internet on the phone, I don't. Either way, I've lost trust in them.

So, I want to change my 2 year old Samsung Galaxy 723 for something a bit more snazzy but still at around the £15pm mark.

I make calls, I do texts and, apart from contacts & diary, that's pretty much all I need. I want a fairly big screen and I have fat fingers, so no Blackberry type with tiny buttons. Quite OK with touch screen.

Now somebody will probably ask why I don't look up on Internet, or will post halpfull links. The trouble is information overload, too much choice. So, I just want a wee bit of advice/recomendations in regards to what I've mentioned above.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Just get a standard I-phone 4. Sounds like it would be perfect for your needs. Very user friendly.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
My contract with Virgin has come to an end & I'll not renew as they occasionally charge way over the agreed price. They say it's because I use the internet on the phone, I don't. Either way, I've lost trust in them.

This used to happen with Eileen. The phone was communicating all on its own with the internet, something about getting standard updates. We went to the shop and they showed us how to turn this off.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll tell you what - this is EXACTLY what I am finding with them. I simply don't believe what they are charging me.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Ace for £120 which for me is as good as anything that costs £300 more. People don't use most of the extra features anyway. I'm very pleased with it.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
As you get older, forget all the bells and buzzers, the main consideration is - can you read an incoming text without having to search for your glasses?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

So, I want to change my 2 year old Samsung Galaxy 723 for something a bit more snazzy but still at around the £15pm mark.

I make calls, I do texts and, apart from contacts & diary, that's pretty much all I need. I want a fairly big screen and I have fat fingers, so no Blackberry type with tiny buttons. Quite OK with touch screen.

Now somebody will probably ask why I don't look up on Internet, or will post halpfull links. The trouble is information overload, too much choice. So, I just want a wee bit of advice/recomendations in regards to what I've mentioned above.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Phone Virgin and haggle, for 15 quid they should offer you a decent phone ,plus calls, text and data. Especially if you have their TV/broadband package.

I have three handsets and a SIM only deal with them. 12.80 per month is the most expensive deal.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
This used to happen with Eileen. The phone was communicating all on its own with the internet, something about getting standard updates. We went to the shop and they showed us how to turn this off.

It takes an age to get through to Virgin these days (never used to). The guy offered me a package that included internet but I said that would only have me paying for something I don't use, then he did something to stop me getting the internet and my last bill was as it should be, so it was within them.

They appeared quite indifferent to keeping my business, even though I've been a long & loyal customer in regards to TV/Broadband, telo's etc and that hasn't helped. They do have some offers where it's half price for 6 months then I'd be paying alot more than I do now.

Thanks all, for the feedback so far.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Whatever phone /tariff you end up getting, buy it through topcashback or quidco. I got £120 for an iphone4 on t-mobile, tariff was £20p/m and free phone so effectively 6 months free out of 18mth contract.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
just renewed my wife's contract with virgin. Threatened to leave, they asked what phone I was looking at etc etc and ended up getting her a Samsung SII for £16 a month on a better package than she was on previously. Happy with that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The NSC advise that was handed to me was:-

£90 Nokia 610
£10 a month giff-gaff.

Job done, no contracts, no over charging.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've seen a Galaxy Ace in Carphone Warehouse for as little as £7.50pm and it has the advantage of being similar to my current Galaxy 723 and I assume, this being newer, should be better.

Another of their deals, for an extra £10pm, I get a Samsung Tablet too. now these look quite flash but, like Spanish Dave, what does it do?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I recommend the 3 network for coverage and price - the only network that works consistently at the Amex on matchdays, to check on other scores at half-time, and excellent coverage throughout the city. Not used GiffGaff personally but others seem to like its prices.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Beware the Samsung Ace makes sure its the new Ace 2 as the original has a ridiculously low memory size will fill up on text messages alone.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Thanks, I was reading some of the reviews and memory and battery life were common comments.

I normally have about 25 mesages stored in each inbox & sent and nearly all of these will be just a few lines long. Surely it could cope with that?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I would never use virgin again, they kept overcharging my daughter which resulted in frequent calls to put right then when we went to Sri Lanka last year the phone broke due to the humidity and because they messed up the insurance they refused to repair it, even breaking it further when investigating. So she was stuck with a useless phone for 9 months until her contract ran out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here