Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Marriage - The Vote

The vote is for the creation of Gay Marriage...

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Try this one.

If you believe in God, you will believe that he made man and woman. You will further believe that the reason for marriage is to create a holy union to be blessed with children.

Whilst I can understand the need for some pairs of blokes or women to show their devotion for one another in a civil partnership, surely what they do has nothing to do with the intentions of a Christian marriage?

the problem here is that there an awfull lot of people who not in a "christian" marriage. they are either non-christian, agnostic or atheist, but the church doesnt seem to have any issue with their legal union simply because it matches their ideal. at core its a concept to show life long commitment to the rest of the world (which personally i think is out moded in itself and bearly respected as the high divorce rate shows), as such the gender should be irrelevant.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Try this one.

If you believe in God, you will believe that he made man and woman. You will further believe that the reason for marriage is to create a holy union to be blessed with children.

Whilst I can understand the need for some pairs of blokes or women to show their devotion for one another in a civil partnership, surely what they do has nothing to do with the intentions of a Christian marriage?

I'm married, and I'm not religious... and neither was the civil wedding ceremony my wife and I had.

So what I am basically saying is, marriage is not the sole preserve of religious bodies.

As for gay marriage... I don't care enough to form an opinion, gay couples who are in a civil partnership have the same rights as married couples, so the only argument is about the language used.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
In your opinion.

Just to prove religion is antiquated, here is a quote from Romans 1:24-32

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Listen to yourself. You berate those against gay marriage, however you seem totally intolerant of anyone who has religious beliefs. Talk about double standards! I am not religious at all, but many of my family are.

This, doesn't sound a very tolerant chap.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I personally think its wrong for 2 members of the same sex to marry. I also think it is wrong for gay couples to adopt. I am not homophobic and have many gay friends and even family members who know my views. I am not religous, this is just a personal opinion.

I understand you have gay friends and are not against homosexuality (you appear to embrace it), but you don't say why you're against gay marriage, aside from shrugging your shoulders and saying 'I'm just not'.

Just curious, like.

FWIW, there are, and have been, many kids at my partner's school who are the children of same-sex couples, (including three very robust boys being brought up by two women - one of whom is their natural mother) and they appear very well-rounded as individuals. While role models of both sexes are important - these lads don't appear to have suffered on the back of it; and it's not as though they are denied male figureheads in life.

I appreciate that that's only one example, but it's not one which should be dismissed as 'it's not right...'

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If any church can decline to marry a gay couple then I really cannot see any problem. It's just a bunch of conservative, religious bods trying to protect an antiquated, irrelevent institution. They should have put thismuch effort into outing priests who f*** 10 year old boys.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I personally think its wrong for 2 members of the same sex to marry. I also think it is wrong for gay couples to adopt. I am not homophobic and have many gay friends and even family members who know my views. I am not religous, this is just a personal opinion.

I don't see how you can possibly reconcile the two parts of this statement. How can you have many friends, whose lifestyle you fundamentally believe is 'wrong'?

D

Deleted member 22389

You get to be a princess for a day and have a big party with lots of presents.

And I am so glad my wife sorted everything out. It's great, all I had to do was turn up.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
ahh there we go, THAT is homophobia.

Then you would class me as homophobic as well, I understand that gays are born that way , most of them are happy to be that way and good luck to them, I feel that civil partnerships are a good thing , I dont think they should be discriminated against job wise.
If either of my sons turned out to be gay , then no way on earth would i turn my back on them ( no pun intended :lolol:) , I would be gutted , but I love them unconditionally, and its my job as a parent to support them through life, come what may, but no way on earth would I be comfortable watching physical displays of affection between my sons and another man, the same goes for men who are nothing to do with me, i've seen men holding hands , kissing etc and to be frank, it turns my stomach, as I suspect it does a lot of blokes on here, they're just too scared of the homophobic name calling to admit it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I understand you have gay friends and are not against homosexuality (you appear to embrace it), but you don't say why you're against gay marriage, aside from shrugging your shoulders and saying 'I'm just not'.

Just curious, like.

FWIW, there are, and have been, many kids at my partner's school who are the children of same-sex couples, (including three very robust boys being brought up by two women - one of whom is their natural mother) and they appear very well-rounded as individuals. While role models of both sexes are important - these lads don't appear to have suffered on the back of it; and it's not as though they are denied male figureheads in life.

I appreciate that that's only one example, but it's not one which should be dismissed as 'it's not right...'

appear being a key word

I'd rather not get into a debate on gay adoption though.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Listen to yourself. You berate those against gay marriage, however you seem totally intolerant of anyone who has religious beliefs. Talk about double standards! I am not religious at all, but many of my family are.

I'm very intollerent of stupidity.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I don't see how you can possibly reconcile the two parts of this statement. How can you have many friends, whose lifestyle you fundamentally believe is 'wrong'?

I have friends who smoke and drink alcohol. I don't agree with them doing it but we won't fall out over it. Its just something that sits uncomfortable with me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Plenty of same-sex marriages out there which are 'not right.'

Anyway, aside from the morals of this issue it is the usual issues starting to eat at the Tory party. Europe a few weeks ago and now gay marriage, when will they ever learn, when will they ever modernise?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
My own considered opinion, based on comments from people when 'civil partnerships' were legalised and my own belief in equality.

I'm all for civil partnerships too. I gather some people view marriage as an outdated idea of ownership, that whole love honour and obey thing, asking father's permission before proposals and so on, and that they may feel more comfortable with a civil union and so agree they should be available for anyone who wants them.

In that case may I apologise for any doubt that was inferred in my original reply; and congratulate you on your intelligence and humanity. :thumbsup:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
If any church can decline to marry a gay couple then I really cannot see any problem. It's just a bunch of conservative, religious bods trying to protect an antiquated, irrelevent institution. They should have put thismuch effort into outing priests who f*** 10 year old boys.

Quite right! They should have waited untill they were 16 and married them! lol

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Good point

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It makes no sense to say you don't mind that people are gay yet object to gay couples bringing up children. It's absurd, you either accept gay people or you don't. The argument "Just don't agree with it" is pathetic.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Just to prove religion is antiquated, here is a quote from Romans 1:24-32

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.

Thanks for that and now read the rest of Romans and come back to me later.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Then you would class me as homophobic as well, I understand that gays are born that way , most of them are happy to be that way and good luck to them, I feel that civil partnerships are a good thing , I dont think they should be discriminated against job wise.
If either of my sons turned out to be gay , then no way on earth would i turn my back on them ( no pun intended :lolol:) , I would be gutted , but I love them unconditionally, and its my job as a parent to support them through life, come what may, but no way on earth would I be comfortable watching physical displays of affection between my sons and another man, the same goes for men who are nothing to do with me, i've seen men holding hands , kissing etc and to be frank, it turns my stomach, as I suspect it does a lot of blokes on here, they're just too scared of the homophobic name calling to admit it.

Just out of curiosity, what is your view on physical displays of affection such as you describe above, but between two women?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here